High Energy Food

• Hey there,
    I've got a super busy summer planned. I'm out of the house by 6 a.m. and work at a barn until about 10:30 (feeding, cleaning stalls, moving horses, etc.), then I come home to work with my own horses, which takes me up to about 1:00 or so. I will either be working with barn horses or studying at that point for a few hours. In the evening I have more horses to feed, etc.

So, my exercise is pretty much taken care of, but I need to come up with food that I can grab on the run and keep my energy level up.

I am vegetarian and try not to eat much dairy. But give me all your ideas, because I can probably find veggie versions of most things.

Thanks so much!!
  • Do you eat eggs? Hard boiled eggs could work well for you. You might also consider edamame (you can buy ready-to-eat varieties at Trader Joe's), as it's high in protein. Otherwise, I'd recommend protein bars.
  • If you do eat eggs scrambled with vegis, maybe even on toast.

Sunbutter, Soybutter, or Peanutbutter on a whole wheat pita or your bread of choice.

Smoothies made with soft tofu or soymilk.
  • Trail mix. Nuts and dried fruit are fairly dense and can be had on-the-go.

Also whole grain toast with a little bit of peanut butter.
  • Thank you all! I knew I could count on you. I do eat the occasional egg, so hard-boiled is perfect. I don't really like peanut butter, but I will try some almond and soy butter. Smoothies are great too. I'll have to look up some recipes.

Thanks again!
  • Apples, eggs, whole wheat butter crackers, fruit cakes...
  • Darby - if you like sunflower seeds, you should try the sunbutter. It is a favorite in my house!