Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 1/6-1/12

You're on Page 4 of 17
Go to
View Poll Results: How many people currently reside in your household?
2.56%
30.77%
17.95%
30.77%
10.26%
5.13%
0%
0%
0%
10 or more
2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good morning to all and THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WONDERFUL TIPS AND ADVISE...........Toni48 yes I do have the book.....I actually had the old one and hadn't read it so I returned it for the newer version and also got the helper guide to help me out......CountryMom yes you are very close, Livingston is a wonderful area to just get away......YellowRose, the place in town is called Frankie Mandola's on Kirby.......He even has a sugar free keylime pie and breadpudding on the menu.........My lunch yesterday was off of his SB menu so im pretty sure everything was legal................And I am so PROUD of myself...........I walked 2 miles last night at the track............Tonite i'm gonna try for 2 1/4 or even 2 1/2.............I had some orange/cranberry juice this morning and it said 26g sugar...........But I looked and didnt see any sugar.............Did I do someting wrong? Everyone have a wonderful morning.........
  • Good Morning!

Welcome ACW, Lindar and Maemae...

Finally.. I did not have anything to eat after 8p last night. I'm trying for 7p but this is a step in the right direction. The last thing I had was a Clementine tangerine.. try them. They are in season now and are sweet (not tart), seedless and the skin is wrinkled and easy to peel.

Miata.. if I remember correctly, I think Deb makes her own peanut butter. I love the stuff I get at Trader Joes w/no salt. They also have wonderful almond butter..

Monet.. hope the information helps to find the right cut of meat.

Looking forward to a good SB day no make that a great SB day..

• Just a quick HI before I start working. Studying really hard for the GMAT test so that I can get into business school...every spare second of my life right now is devoted to figuring out if a bus leaves anytown at 9am at a speed of 34mph and another bus leaves....UGH! Who cares???
    Anyway, not letting this affect me too badly. Going to the gym again during lunch. I'll be back for WIW!
  • Heading out the door, just wanted to pop in and give a quick "hello

Promise, do or die, I will find a way to get in a post tonight - I'm having withdrawls!!!!!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Deb
  • HiedieHo All!!

Waiting for my nails to dry. How exciting is that? Have PW this afternoon, friend is picking me up. Keeping fingers crossed, ear is not aching.

VR: Have never done the no-no after 7p. I know some have and maybe it is a good idea. I will have to succumb! You learn something every day, never heard of tri tip.

JACKK: Homemade Soup, one of my favorites. I often clean out the refrigerator and make soup. There is so much variety and if you make it hearty it is a meal. Of course I used to have biscuits or bread with it, but I have cleaned up my act! Reminds me I have a ham hock in freezer to make split pea soup. It is chilly here today would warm us up. Any leftover bratwurst? Cut it up and throw it in the soup!

YELLOW: Sorry your collarbone is still giving you trouble. That is something serious and needs a doctor. I usually feel if you have a cold it will take a week to clear up. If you go to the doctor it only takes seven days, so why bother?

LIN: I feel that is does matter in what type of flour you use in some recipes. Pastry flour is smoother textured, better for pie crusts for instance. Honey is NO-NO! Use agave instead. If you use a granulated sweetener you may have to make a small addition of your liquid as the syrup provides moisture as well as sweetness. You can substitute Splenda. There is a honey, raisined Kashi that is a no-no, read the label is our best bet. I use canned fruit in the juice variety not syrup kind. You'll probably get lots of suggestions and answers to your questions. That helps all of us maybe learn something we didn't know or forgot. I'm at the age where "senior moments" are a problem!

ACW: Glad you joined us. This is a wonderful woe, something that can become a lifestyle. For me weight issue has been lifelong and this is first plan I can live with. It's not the brands that are important but the ingredients. Read labels, watch the 3g rule. Look for stoneground whole wheat, avoid the things that we can't have. I have found as I go along that it is mostly commonsense. Once you get used to reading label it's a cinch! When I first started it would take forever to get through the grocery, now it's a snap! My DIL has a Kiwi uncle, she was fortunate to visit there. My son lived in OZ for 5 years and when he was transferred they made a side trip to NZ on the way home. Loved it!

Well time to put on the warpaint, go to the post office and look like I'm doing something constructive!

See y'all later!

Shirley
  • Morning all!
    It is gorgeous but cold here! Got down into the 20s last night--very rare for east central Alabama! Belle and I had to snuggle to keep warm! (um, for the newbies--Belle is my cat).

Good OP day yesterday! So far so good today--did not get to the gym though. Was going to go last evening, but when I got in the car I had no headlights! Got to go get some new fuses today (because the bulbs are new--put them in last summer). So couldn
    t go anywhere last night.

I'm enjoying my homemade SGWW bread. The machine did real well and the bread seems heartier than even the nature's own---so I'm thinking it has GOT to have more fiber in it. Will need to mae another loaf this weekend.

Quivondra--Hey girl! It is nice to have you back on the board! Um, I don't think any buses in NYC ever go 34 miles an hour! In that traffic it is more like .34 mph. Good luck with business school.

VR--the after 8 thing is hard for me--I very often do not get home from meetings and whatnot until then. I need light things to eat at night for those evenings.

Maemae--it sounds like you had a great day yesterday!!!! Fruit is rich in fructose so it will have a lot of sugar, but fructose won't raise your insulin levels like refined sugars so that is ok. Just make sure there are none of the "hidden" sugars like corn syrup or dextrose, etc. Also tomato sauce shows a lot of sugar, even if there is nothing but tomatoes in the can--again it is the fructose and is ok.

Monet--dinner sounds great! I didn't know the cellophane noodels were low GI--but I'm glad to know it now! I understand the cellphone blues--the month before the election I used 945 minutes (I have a 400 minute plan)--sheesh.

Jackie--Get to work girl! We both need to be very very good between now and the first Saturday in May--cause I have to admit I'm very very bad that day!

sweet--check the battery on your scale, but after two weeks that's not impossible!

Miata--You are so sweet to say such nice things. The peanut butter you grind yourself is probably the best of all--you KNOW there is nothing else in it!

ACW--Welcome! Glad to have you with us! I think the simplest thing to do is to follow the guidelines in the book. Stay away from sugar, white flour, white potatoes, corn and white rice. Eat lean proteins, fruit, veggies, and whole grains. Eat reasonable portions and you don't have to count anything--except perhaps to stay around 3 starchy carbs per day (sweet taters, brown rice, WW pasta, WW bread, etc). It 's almost too easy for those of us who have been taught to count and agonize over every morsel that goes into our mouths!

Gator--I hope you have better luck meeting up with everyone this year--should be since you will be there before the madness on Sunday.

Mom2Marsh--I'll field the Splenda question for you. Splenda is fine. Some of us do better on one atrificial sweetner as opposed to others--some of us prefer not to use them at all. But Splenda is legal. It measures like sugar so if a recipe calls for fructose you will have to convert the measurment. many of us like to use agave, which is hard to find. You can some order it at:http://www.sweetcactusfarms.com

lindarn--Welcome! See my reply to marsh for an answer to your sweetner question. Please ask as many questions as you need to--we want to help!

VR--thanks for the information on the tri tip steak. I lloked for it in Burno's last night--but I'll ask for it the next time I'm in there.

Bob--keep the house warm! Though your KY blood is probably enjoying the frost in the air!

Yellowrose--Hey!

OK--got to get to work. Have a good day everyone!

Susan
  • Morning,

After reading the post from the Florida people, it sounds like it is going to be quite cool the morning of the race.
    For those of us who will not be running, how do you suggest we dress? I thought the weather was showing it to be
    getting warm. I bet you who are there know best.

I have seen a lot of information regarding not eating after 7 PM. I probably missed a post so, could some one
    please catch me up on new information?

Sweetbeater: Your scales may very well be correct. When I first started SB, the pounds were dropping radically. I
    even decided that I was losing too quickly and added food to my plan.

Jack-K: Glad your soup turned out so well. I have started substituting cauliflower for the potatoes and I don’t miss
    them in the soup. You are right, this is the year of actually meeting “the” goal.

Quivondra: So funny about the math problem...I had forgotten about those. Good luck on the GMAT.

Monet: Your daughter must indeed be putting the time on the cell phone. My plan allows 1200 minutes after 8
    PM and on weekends. That almost feels free to me. During M-F I get 250 minutes which I watch because I don’t
    want to pay the 30 cents a minute fee. I remember when my daughter was a teen it was such a trial.. Now she is
    my best friend.

ACW: Welcome. It looks like several people have already given you great advice about the plan.

Lindarn: Welcome to you, also.

Fillise: Hey to you as well as Miss Belle.

Hope the day is kind to all of you.
  • Hi!!!

wELL i am off to Tops in a few minutes for a official weigh in...I am feelin empowered. Ever been to ww weigh in's?? You know you do everything in your power to make that scale go down??? you drink and eat nothing before weigh in, you wear the skimpiest clothes??? been there??? don't that??? well I sure have..Guess what ??? Not happening this time..This morn I ate my little bowl of shreded wheat and 2 cups of coffee..I eat every morn so why change it for weigh in. I don't care, the weight will go down, and I feel good about not freaking over the scale..Now I got to admit that I might get to feeling different later and if I do, gently remind me of this statement here.

I was going to comment of something else but darn it I forgot what it was...Oh well I Will post later after I weigh in and go to curves..

See ya

Kathy/Miata
  • Mornin' y'all. Back to school today. It was really hard to get up this morning. The kids didn't want to get up either. They were ready to get together with their friends tho. Eating has been OK the last couple of days. Notice OK, not OP. But, hopefully now that I'll be back in the school routine, my eating will be 100%. Of course the lounge is filled with goodies today, so I 'm staying out of there.

Welcome to all the newbies. It's good to hear from you.

MAEMAE: A big Texas howdy to you. I'm in Mt. Pleasant in NE TX. My brother lives in Houston. He writes for the Chronicle and is the one who introduced me to SB.

Sorry I can't get to everyone now, but it's LUNCHTIME!!
  • Good morning everyone.... Well tomorrow is weigh in and I'll be glad to have the first week back OP under my belt. Hopeing I do well and everyone else has good luck with metal monster.

Hi Mom2Marsh and Gatorgal...

acw- A great big welcome. You'll love the support and friendship you get on this board. Starting out is so hard and learning how to do this is a little confusing but ask lots of questions and we'll all try to help. Its a great way of eating...

miata- I used to go to TOPS years ago and it was a wonderful support group. I loved it and went for along time. Wish they had one near me to go to. Think you'll like it...

sweetbeater- Wow I hope thats your loss, when you starting off you can get really big loses so hope this is yours...

Jack-K- Yum soup sounds so good on these old winter days. Glad it went over so good... Good job on getting your walk in...

Monet- Your stir fry sounds wonderful. I make a simple one of brown rice, green onions, shrimp. We had it last night with a green salad. Would love to put broccli in it but DH doesn't go for it.. Good for you and the cell phone. If more parents were like that kids would learn responiblites.

maemae- sounds like you're doing good. The sugar in the juice is okay as long as it isn't added sugar. Fruit has a natural sugar in it called frutose.

VR- Hello there gal glad you're doing okay...

Quivondra- Good luck on the studying...

Debilli-As usual you're on the run... You're one busy lady....

Sef- Hope your ear troubles are a thing of the past....

Fillise- Hi to you and Belle....

Yellowrose- I'm envying you going to Florida to the warm weather and having a great time with all the girls. Enjoy yourself...

I think I'm missing a page so I'm off to go find it... Have a good day everyone.

213/171/130
  • Just thought I would check in and the board has been busy so I will catch up some.

Monet, My DD has free nights and weekends on her cell phone. She waits until after 8 to use it most of the time. She usually uses around 2500 minutes a month and we only pay for 400. The N&W run around $10 a month. Might be worth it

Sweetbeater. You scale is probably ok. Jump back on it again tomorrow just to be sure. Let me know when you try those pancakes. I want to try them too. On the cherries, I would say 1 cup would be a serving. But 2-3 servings of fruits a day are good.

Maemae, Good for yu getting a walk in. You are doing great. As long as there is no added sugar in the juice it is probably ok.

VR, Thanks for the info on the Clementines. I will look for them. I love oranges and tangerines but they are so hard to peel. WTG on not eating after 8:00.

Quiv, I hate those kinds of questions. You have to think too much . Good luck on WIW.

Sef, How do you make split pea soup? Thanks for the tips.

Fillise, Bummer about not getting to the gym. I'm glad you didnt have that problem in all your travels. I'm glad your bread turned out. I didn't like it. It was too dense for me. Plus I just don't have the time. I'm trying to be really good until May. My DD wedding is the next weekend so we have lots to do and I need to fit into my dress nicely with no bulges.

Yellow, the SB book says no eating after 8:00. I think some were trying to make it earlier.

Miata, good luck on your weigh in. Next week it will be less.

Just finish and apple and was still hungry so I had some cheese. That should hold me until 1:00 for lunch of salad.

Be back later.

Jackie
    257/167/145
    10-10-01
  • Heartmom- Yea for you... You've got the power....
    Hey Bob- You're just way to busy gal....
  • Music Teach- We were posting at the same time. Glad to see you back in the swing of things...
  • Hi guys..............I have to say ya'll are awesome for including me in your e-mails..........I went again to look at the orange juice container to see what was up............It was Minute Maid orange juice from concentrate.............I hope I didnt screw myself up already this morning...........How many times can you have juice during the day? And what is 3g rule again?
  • Tuesday
    Please don't freeze on me again....

I saw the scale go down this morning and that is a thrill. I am still not going to post numbers until I am closer to my signature and those holiday pounds are nearly gone.

MONET- Hey girl. I am hanging in and by the sounds of it you did much better than I did over the holidays. We did enjoy ourselves and I loved hosting my first Christmas dinner for my parents. Mom always had it at her house but now that we moved out east they had to come to us to enjoy the grandkids. It was my mother's first *real* Christmas because she got saved last January 8th so that made it extra special. Dad is so close I am just praying that God removes his heart of stone and gives to him a heart of flesh very soon. I trust you had a wonderful celebration of His birth too. {hugs}

TONI- Nice to see you!

MOM2MARSH- Welcome to the board. I have been AWOL over the holidays so I didn't see your arrival. However, I saw you mention a music minister and thought I would ask your relationship there. My hubby is a Pastor so I wondered if we have another sister in Christ on the board!

JACK-K- SB Posterchild that you are! I see you are still doing wonderful and are well on the way to full recovery as you look forward to the wedding. I am going to catch you again!!

MUSICTEACH- Stay away from that lounge!

COUNTRYMOM-Yes, it was a pleasure to get things back in order, especially since I am also babysitting a 2 year old and an 11 month old. Five kids can be a handful so I am back down to 3 when my older two are at school. I admire you homeschoolers, that is for sure!! I am so grateful for our Christian school though. My homeschooling of my littlest is on hold while I adapt to having the extras here with us. I think we will start back on Monday...but that is only Junior Kindergarten after all!

I better go...gotta keep moving!