Fruity Smelling Breath

• Has anyone had fruity breath smell as a sign of Ketosis? I am having it now so I googled it and it said it is a symptom of the bad type of Ketosis (ketoacidosis) which is a sign of Diabetes.BUT it said it is a sign of Type 1 diabetes which I wouldn't have I would have Type 2, but Im pretty sure I dont have diabetes at all if that makes any sense. I have had my blood sugar tested recently and it was normal.
  • Just wondering if anyone has had the fruity breath
  • Not personally, but I do know that not everyone is able to smell ketones.
  • Quote: Just wondering if anyone has had the fruity breath
    If I were to guess, I would think you are doing a low-carb diet...yes?
  • If you're on a low-carb diet, then symptoms of ketosis are expected and fine. There is a lot of misinformation about ketosis vs. ketoacidosis on the internet.
  • My husband had this and it was a sign of type 1 diabetes (which he developed at 26 years old, so just because it's known as juvenile diabetes doesn't mean you can't develop it later in life). He is the only person I've personally known to have this. BUT, his breath didn't smell "fruity" like fruit, it was a very very sweet smell, sickly sweet. And he was exhausted all the time and his vision was blurry and he was peeing all the time (including waking at night to go). If you have any of these other symptoms see your doctor or invest in a glucose monitor and check your sugar levels. If it's just your breath my guess would be it's a product of your diet. Sorry for the long answer.
  • I am doing calorie counting but my carb intake has reduced since I started
  • You can purchase Ketone Strips over the counter and test your urine to see if you're throwing ketones. WalMart or any drug store should carry them. Ask the pharmacist where they are located.