Is 'dieting' bad if you have an eating disorder

• Checking off boxes and adding points. I think that just adds to the stress of an eating disorder. If you really think about it your obsessed with food and then having to see the points add up or the boxes get checked off just makes things worse. For me at least this is the case. Then I try my hardest to figure out what foods I can stuff my face with that we be the least amount of points. This is not solving the problem. It's just sort of a 'legal binge' if I can use that term. The binge problem is never really controlled your just binging on foods that are better for you. It seems crazy to me

So if you want to lose the pounds and keep the binge monster away what is the key to eating. I know there has to be one. Do you just eat like a 'normal person' ? Normal portions of the foods you like? What about trigger foods or are the foods not really triggers and your emotions are the TRUE triggers?

So many questions I know.....any answers?
  • I think that everyone is different but for me I can't do points or any of that, it taps into the perfectionist attitude of mine and adds too much stress.

I'm trying to learn the natural instinct of the body to eat when hungry, make better choices and forgive myself when I'm not perfect and move on. Focus on normal and not restriction. Learn to recognize your moods that trigger binges.

What I'm finding is the most important is to have an outlet. Write in a journal, go to an OA meeting, talk to a dr., talk to a trusted friend, but I'm finding for me I need to do at least one of these things daily and make it part of the day but NOT the focus of the day. And my biggest breakthrough was the recognition of respect. I was stunned to learn of the depth of my lack of selfrespect to do this to by body. My new year resolution is to cut myself some slack NOT go on a new diet:-).

I'm slowly putting things together. Keep asking questions, keep reading, and faith.

runnergirl
  • I too think that I am a perfectionist and that's why so many diet plans throw me for a loop. I can do very well on them and then I'll slip up...throw everything to the wind because I didn't do it perfectly and then I end up going into a binge. Then the whole cycle starts with the guitl which for me just makes it a lot worse...and over and over like a snowball rolling down hill.

I was thinking some more about what I should be eating. I think from my experience at just about every "diet" that I know what I am doing. My goodness I could probably write a book about how to lose weight just from doing so many of the plans over the years. I have deceided that I'm going to do MY PLAN...that way it's my rules...not anyone elses that I feel that I have to adhere to....just me. That's probably one of the best ideas that I've had in a long time. If I slip up I'm going to have to learn to forgive myself and move on.

Your right about the self respect. I dont really know if I have any. I know that probably sounds awful but it's true. I have always but others before myself. I see putting myself first as being selfish. I dont know how to change that.

Thanks for posting have a great day

Chrissy
  • That sounds like a great plan Chrissy. I try not to snack but if I do I just try to make it lowfat. I eat breakfast(not much just enough to take the edge off) because I don't really like cereal first thing in the morning. For lunch it is subway and wow chips and supper usually is chicken potatoe and a veggie. I try not to eat for the rest of the day. I am a creature of habit so once I get into the habit it gets easier for me BUT if I mess up once it usually leads to a weeks worth of messing up. This is the area I can't get a handle on it. I need to learn portion control with junk food. I can do it with healthy food but not junk food.I wonder why? If I eat something I have been craving then I just think of something new and I obsess over it until I eat that too, etc. I can lose the weight but I just can't keep it off. I am hoping that with the help of everyone on this sight I can accomplish that.
  • I dont portion control with junk food either. I dont know why....I can eat an entire bag of chips....but would never think of eating a whole bag of apples. Maybe it's the fact that junk food had alot of different flavors going on. You know salty, sweet, and the crunchy texture ....I dont know just a thought.
    They also add so many flavor enhancers to junk food that might be another reason it tastes so good and maybe we get use to all the flavors having to be enhanced that we think everything sould taste that good and when it doens't we crave the junk that will bring us those enhansed flavors.

• You know Chrissy, I bet that is it. I crave sweet and salty all the time and you definately won't get that in a bag of apples. LOL I wish I could be more like thin people naturally though. When I go out to eat I don't think oh, I'll have a salad. I am like give me the bread and anything else I can get my hands on. I think I put too much emphasis on food being fun. Me and my husband consider eating to be an activity and we take great pleasure in doing it when I am being bad. Maybe it has something to do with our lack of a social life.

I wish I could just eat a bad meal and move on but it is like I just opened the flood gates for the day and I am off to fit as much in my mouth as I can for the rest of that day. I know my weak points but I have no idea how to stop them or at least control them.

The great thing about this websight is that I found out there are so many other people out there just like me. That helps alittle bit to know that I am not weird
  • Oh dont worry Angie your not weird.

I went to the grocery store today and I think I did a good job. I was tempted to buy some things but figured it probably wasn't a good idea and put them back. I did get some lollipops and I know that's probably a silly thing for a grown woman to want but I do like them and for my sweet tooth I can indulge and not have all the calories and fat of chocolate or some other calorie loaded food.

My eating was good today. I made sure that I didn't eat out of habit or because of my emotions even though I am quiet miffed with my hubby right now. But that's a different subject. I wont write about it here but you can read my journal.....add a comment if you like.

Great having you guys here with me. I think we can really do this and be here to support one another.

Blessings, Chrissy
  • That makes sense Monique. I grew up with not much of a choice in food. My parents idea of meal planning was a huge bowl of chop suey on Monday for the week. Needless to say I never ate much as a teen and I wasn't overweight. When I met my husband his parents owned a restaraunt and we ate there ALL the time until I got huge. It was like I never got to eat anything good as a kid so I was determined to make up for it. I think nothing of spending a fortune on takeout as an adult.
  • When I was growing up my mom was on WW. So she watched what we ate too. Since I was already overweight she really cut out the extra's for me. We would have ice cream..once a week..and I would get one scoop and my brother would get more then me. I hated this. My lunch was always the same thing...a bologna sandwich and an apple. I had this for YEARS!! I finally asked her to please stop packing my lunch and I started to skip breakfast and lunch. Well, that lead to a mini binge when I got home and then I would have dinner on top of that or when I got older I had a part time job and would get food at work. Usually on my break and it would be junk food nothing that was good for me.

I agree with the thought that dieting can cause a binge. That's the case with me. Since I've been watching what I eat and the state of mind that I'm in while eating I know that I'm doing better and I feel better.

I think that WW should rethink their latest commercial. In that they said something like..."Food is life...Food is LOVE" HELLO......food is not love. Tisk tisk...I think they should change that commercial.