Tried and couldn't do it... so very upset

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I posted on here a few weeks ago when I decided to try the Ideal Protein. I really got motivated and excited. I went for my first visit and bought the foods. Stayed on it for three days and then broke down. I know it sounds so sappy and pathetic. I felt good for those three days, Not just physically , but mentally, like I was doing something so good for myself. I lost eight pounds according to my scale. I didn't even go back for my second visit.
    Tonight I am just so frustrated. There is nothing anyone can say, I know I have to just make my mind up to do it.

At the time I felt so deprived and when I thought about doing it for months I really didn't think I could do it.
    I feel horrible, physically. I weigh 262 and am short of breath. my back hurts. I want to go back on it tomorrow, but do not want to fail again. I think maybe if I just tell myself to do it a day at a time it might be easier.
    I just didn't know where else I could go to spill my thoughts and even though none of you know me I thought maybe someone here could relate to what I am feeling. I have so much going for me right now. A wonderful job, I am going back to school this fall to get my Master's now if I could just get the weight under control I would be happy. Have even been thinking of going to something called Positive Changes. It is some kind of Hypnosis program.

Thanks.
    Elaine
  • Hi Elaine-don't feel bad! I have tried and given up on various diet programs a million times. Maybe it just wasn't the right one for you. I find I do best at weight loss when I just follow my own program--I can't take counting or weighing or measuring. I suggest that you just consider giving one thing up, like sweets or junk food--don't change anything else in your diet, just cut out or reduce sweets (or chips or whatever) and see where that gets you in 6 weeks. If you can take that step, then you'll probably be motivated to make more changes or just that step might be enough. I think that most diet programs have it backwards: they expect us to make a bunch of changes all at once and then stick by them to the letter for months and months until we are allowed to loosen up a little. It's probably smarter to start off with one or two small changes and then go onto more once we feel confident that we can eat healthier and loose weight. Best of luck to you and stay strong!
  • A dear friend designed my diet program for me almost 7 years ago. I would start and fail time and time again and the entire concept sat on the shelf for many years. Finally something inside changed. Maybe the people I spent time with, or the lifestyle I had, or any number of things changed but I'm finally on board 1100% and tomorrow will be 5 weeks without fail!!! You just have to truly be ready and if your not you will do it again and again. BUT YA KNOW WHAT? that's good, I mean did you ride a bike perfect the first time? What about when you learned to walk? It takes time and time again to get it right and the past tries are NOT failures..... THEY ARE PRACTICE!!!!! PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!!!! Don't let yourself get down. Just think you did 3 days longer of healthy eating, your body is already better then if you had used those 3 days to be unhealthy. Congrats with your 3 day success!!!!
  • Quote: I posted on here a few weeks ago when I decided to try the Ideal Protein. I really got motivated and excited. I went for my first visit and bought the foods. Stayed on it for three days and then broke down. I know it sounds so sappy and pathetic. I felt good for those three days, Not just physically , but mentally, like I was doing something so good for myself. I lost eight pounds according to my scale. I didn't even go back for my second visit.
    Tonight I am just so frustrated. There is nothing anyone can say, I know I have to just make my mind up to do it.

At the time I felt so deprived and when I thought about doing it for months I really didn't think I could do it.
    I feel horrible, physically. I weigh 262 and am short of breath. my back hurts. I want to go back on it tomorrow, but do not want to fail again. I think maybe if I just tell myself to do it a day at a time it might be easier.
    I just didn't know where else I could go to spill my thoughts and even though none of you know me I thought maybe someone here could relate to what I am feeling. I have so much going for me right now. A wonderful job, I am going back to school this fall to get my Master's now if I could just get the weight under control I would be happy. Have even been thinking of going to something called Positive Changes. It is some kind of Hypnosis program.

Thanks.
    Elaine
    Elaine, 10+ weeks ago I was right where you were. Days 4 and 5 for me were THE WORST but I told myself that it will get better, talked to my coach, came here for support and forced myself through it...and you know what? After day 5, it was smooth sailing for me! I was able to no longer focus on what I was "missing" rather what I was "gaining" (and those gains were not WEIGHT gains!). I too have had issues pertaining to my weight: swollen ankles, higher blood pressure, general pains that have ALL gotten better since starting this program. For the first time in YEARS I have ankles again, I am able to climb stairs easier and being that we just returned from Disney, was able to fit in rides SO much better. And I've gone from a size 22-24 to a size 16 in just 9 weeks....trust me, there's NO better feeling than that. Problem is, we're all used to failure on diets and I know how hard it can be to trust a program and even more so, trust yourself. You CAN do this, think not of what you're being "deprived of" and you're right, you need to think of this one day at a time. Please give yourself another chance. You will be so glad you did
  • Don't give up! Today, I am on Day 4. For the past TWO MONTHS!!! I have been trying to get through week 1 and failing so I totally understand your frustration. For me, the food cravings would get me on day 3, almost like an anxiety attack. But, I will not give up because every single person who does this diet DOES lose weight. I did get to week 2 when I first started IP and the second week did get easier. Unfortunately, I went on vacation and have been trying to get back on plan ever since. For the past 4 days, I have done 2 things differently. 1) I have been going to bed at 9:30 and reading. If I sit in front of the TV, I know I will eat. It's a little hard to fall asleep but worth it. 2) I have been chewing gum in between meals. OK, I might absorb and extra carb or two, but if it keeps me from eating when not hungry then it is worth it. Hope this helps! Don't give up, you can do it!!!
  • You just have to take it day by day. Its really all in your head. You can do it!
  • I can't tell you how much all your words mean to me. In my heart I know all these things and I know my head has to just go along with it! I WILL try again tomorrow. I was going to start today, but really need to go to the store to stock up on "good stuff" to eat.

I am also going to go back to curves. I had to have hand surgery and that threw me off too. The thing is I have a wonderful support person at school. She has been on the program since last fall and has lost at least 70 lbs and looks and feels wonderful. I suppose that is why I feel like such a failure.
    This is the ONE thing in my life that I cannot control or conquer. I am a success with almost everything else I do. I suppose that is why it upsets me so very much. I hate feeling like a failure at something.

ANYWAY, as Scarlette O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another Day".
    I thank you all for your words of encouragement. This is truly a wonderful place to come and read and gain information and insight.
  • Ready..ok today you get motivated and tomorrow you dust yourself off and try it again..what you have to realize its not a life time its a few months...tell yourself I can do anything for 8 weeks and see where you go. If you have to at first you can have 4 packs a day to get thru it.. eat more veggies and lettuce..you will be alright..and so what yesterday is now gone just look ahead and believe me it gets easier..Plus get rid of all the poision foods in your house..there is no reason your family can't eat healthy for a few months too... Let me know how you do...I have faith in you....

• Good luck tomorrow! You will do better this tine knowing what's to come! And I agree, if in the first week or 2 an extra packet, or an egg, or some Ham help keep you going, have them.

In no time the scale will motivate you! Or, some NSv, like I had last night-wore a nice new pair of size 6 jeans!!!
  • Thanks!! I also think if I come here often enough that will keep me going as well. Off to Winco to stock up on some extra good foods..
  • You can do this!!! I have tried tons of different diets and never lasted longer then a week or 2. I just loved food to much and didn't want to give things up. With this diet I've lasted 8 weeks and have lost 23lbs. Instead of setting a lbs goal I have set a time limit. That is seemingly making it a lot easier. Also, I don't know if you have kids but reminding myself that I gave up things for the baby for 9 months I should be able to give up a few things for me for just 3 months. Good Luck!!! This board is wonderful, Come back often to get the encouragement you need
  • I've been there before!!! Tried and failed many times... Did okay for a week, then 2 weeks, then 2 months - then I just couldn't stick with it. But this time, I know I'm ready. I'm different. I'm able to take on the challenges so far and succeed. I'm 6 days in and feeling great!

Best wishes to you finding a good fit for you and your needs. I hope you find help in the many great supporting posts from all the people here!
  • Hello!

I have just started the diet and am on day 3. It is so hard, and at times I feel like giving up. I know that it will get better. It's hard to break old eating habits, but I read somewhere it takes at least 30 days of constant routine to break a habit. Trust me you are not the only one in this boat. I just keep telling myself that the end result will be worth it. And you will not always be limited to the IP foods. Once your goal weight is reached you can start eating "normal" but healthy. It is a lifesyle change and is tough.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do
  • Quote: Thanks!! I also think if I come here often enough that will keep me going as well. Off to Winco to stock up on some extra good foods..

I am on day 14. It has gone smoother than I thought it would, but I can certainly understand where you are. When I think of all the things I can't have or won't be able to have for a while, it is really overwhelming. I think I finally understand what "one day at a time" means.

A couple of nights ago, that just hit me. When I think big picture, I feel panick. "I want this, I want that, I can't have it!!" Then I made myself stop, think just about this day, this hour, this moment. "I can get through this day, this hour this moment"! And I did. I woke up proud I didn't cheat, proud I got throught that day, that hour that moment.

Try to break it down and stop beating yourself up. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • That no sense of control turns into control over time with this diet. When you can refuse your own birthday cake and make your own IP friendly one - you are in control. When you can refuse Christmas dinner filled with your favorite German salads and schnitzel which have been tradition for your ENTIRE life -- you are in control. Parties, movies, outings -- refusing that carb filled mess of food and instead choosing IP friendly products - THAT is YOU in control.

You gain your control back with this diet. And the outcomes help support that control and that sacrifice - the weight comes off, you feel good, other people notice and watch you with your control and are shocked.

It's worth it. YOU'RE worth it. And we will be here to support you every step of the way.

Good luck, take care, and keep in touch.