Hi, new here!

• Hi, I'm new here. I came across this site a while back actually, then got distracted by other things and just recently found it again, so I figured I'd register now.

A little about me, bear with me. I'm 37, and have been overweight my entire life. About 6-7 years ago, I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression. In the process of getting the anxiety diagnosis, it was discovered I am a type 2 diabetic as well as having some blood pressure issues. So I was given meds to help control all these.

Back in 2009, for some reason or another, I decided I'd had enough of taking medications, so I just completely stopped taking everything. At this time, my highest weight was 338. By fall of 2010, I had dropped to about 270 without much effort at all. My doctor and I figured one of my meds was the cause of the gain, and when I stopped taking them, the weight just fell off. Dr. gave me the all clear to stay off the anxiety and blood pressure meds, but my diabetes wasn't in a good place, so he gave me a different med for that.

Due to circumstances late last year, I ended up having to go back on my anxiety meds, anxiety is still giving me a lot of problems, but that's a whole other story. But the anxiety/stress is probably why I've dropped down to the 245 lbs I am currently. I definitely love seeing the number on the scale go down. I haven't been at this weight for such a long time (270-290 is where I spent years). I can definitely see a big difference between now and 1 year ago.

So I'm hoping that once I get my anxiety under control (as right now it's just dibilitating), I can focus on really changing my lifestyle and exercizing properly and eating right to help get down even further to a healthy weight.

And I'm hoping that this is a good place to start, with people who are also going on this same journey. (Sorry, such a long intro..lol)
  • Today is my first day too and I wish you the best of luck!
  • Thank you. You too!
  • Welcome to you both.

That's an incredible journey you've been on, Cherokee21. I really hope you manage to get a handle on your anxiety. I've never had to deal with it personally, but my best friend was diagnosed with it and I saw what it did to her.

Do you have a plan right now for your weight loss?

Good luck!
  • Thanks Ferumbras. I don't have a specific plan, just going to try to get into a routine of exercizing regularly and really watch what I'm eating/portion control. Might tweak this as I go along, but that's the "plan" for now.
  • That sounds like a good plan.

You might want to check out the forum thread "What did you eat today" in 20-somethings. (There may be something similar in 30-somethings, or you could start one!) It's a good way to be accountable for your portion size, as you see a daily a record of how much you're eating.