Using felafel mix to bread chicken

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So I've read in a couple of places about using felafel mix to bread chicken. Has anyone ever tried this? Essentially you mix an egg with a little mustard, use it to bread the chicken, dredge in felafel mix, then bake at 400 for about 30 mins. or until done. Ingredients in the felafel mix:

Fava beans, Garbanzo beans, spices, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, baking powder, dehydrated parsley, corn oil.
  • I don't eat chicken but that sounds good.
  • That sounds AWESOME - PLEASE be adventurous and try it - them come make some at my house!!!
  • That sounds amazing, McK. You are officially challenged to try it and report back!
  • Sounds super delicious. Try it!
  • That does sound good!
  • That does sound good!
  • I am making it tonight!!! I will definitely report back. I guess I'm a bit concerned about dryness, but what the heck. Stay tuned for a full report.
  • Quote: I am making it tonight!!! I will definitely report back. I guess I'm a bit concerned about dryness, but what the heck. Stay tuned for a full report.

I have done this in the past, before I found SBD but I've not been able to find a falafel mix that doesn't have potatoes or potato starch in it. Of course, the amounts are small... so I think it's really a personal choice.

This is from Near East
    Defatted Wheat Germ, Garbanzo Beans, Fava Beans, Soy Protein Concentrate, Potato Flour, Structured Soy Flour, Salt, Spices, Onion (Dried), Garlic (Dried), Parsley (Dried).

And Fantastic Foods:
    Garbanzo Beans, Yellow Peas, green Peas, Dehydrated Vegetables (Onions, potatoes, garlic), Spices, Sea Salt, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Soy Sauce Powder (Wheat, soybeans, salt), Sodium Bicarbonate, Yeast Extract, Natural Flavor.

I have taken to making my own falafel mix, but it's fresh (not dehydrated) so I've not tried "breading" anything with it.
  • My mix does not have potatoes or potato flour in it. It is "Sahadi" brand. Sahadi's is a store in my neighborhood (not a chain) so it is their house brand, but they do have a website so you could buy it online I guess.
  • Quote: My mix does not have potatoes or potato flour in it. It is "Sahadi" brand. Sahadi's is a store in my neighborhood (not a chain) so it is their house brand, but they do have a website so you could buy it online I guess.
    That is AWESOME! I'll have to check it out.. thank you!
  • I'm allergic to the soy flour in the mixes. I've pulverized dried garbanzo beans in the food processor and mixed it with herbs/spices for the same effect. And I used it to coat sliced zucchini. Get the larger zucchini, slice lengthwise into 1/4" thickness. I brush with olive oil, but egg whites would also do the trick. Then coat the slices. I broil them in the oven till golden. Yummy! It would also work with eggplant slices.
  • I'm eating what I made right now. Essentially I mixed an egg with mustard, dipped the chicken in it, dipped it in the felafel mix, sprayed with cooking spray, then baked at 400 for about 30 minutes. It is a little dry but not too bad, although I won't say it's a low cal meal (I'm currently dipping the chicken in TJ's Goddess dressing). I will probably make this again!
  • what about marinating the meat before breading? say in italian or greek vinaigrette?
  • I am sure you could do that or I was even thinking buttermilk marinade. I also think I made the felafel coating a little too thick. Next time I will try marinading it and also using a little less felafel. It was VERY filling and my husband loved it.