Heart Rate Monitor?

• I am not sure if there are threads about this already but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice.

I am trying to lose around 100lbs and I am thinking of investing in a weight loss monitor. A timex model seems to be in my price range but I wanted to find out if it is even worthy purchasing.

Anyone have any thoughts?
  • I am not sure which Timex model you are referring to, but I started out with a Timex model, don't remember the model, and I hated it. This was one highly rated by consumer reports, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I didn't like it because it did not give continuous heart rate feedback - you have to press the button on the watch each time you want it to read your heart rate. I felt that since it takes your heart rate only as often as you remember to press the button, the calorie count wasn't very accurate. I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Polar monitor with a chest strap that gives a continuous reading, and I haven't looked back. I don't ever exercise without it.

The model that is right for you though will depend on what you are looking for. I suggest you call the customer service of one of the websites that offer various brands and ask for advice.
  • Thank you. I was planning on getting one with a chest strap. I know I would most likely end up hurting myself if I got a touch one (like trying to do it on a treadmill and ending up eating tread).

I was also thinking of going cheap and just getting the $50 model from Wal Mart.
  • I highly, highly recommend polar HRM. They may cost a little bit more but they are higher quality. Also, get one with a chest strap.

My husband had a timex and within a couple months, it broke. The buttons on it became unusable. On the other hand, my Polar never had any issues. Polar HRMs are highly rated overall.
  • *sigh* I know Polar is supposed to be the best (specifically the F60) but I cannot afford the $200 for it right now. I, do, however keep mentally drooling over it online but since I just graduated from college...cash strapped.

=(
  • I recently bought a really nice one for just over $100, RS 300x. They have others that are under 100. I'd recommend sometime perusing amazon at the polars in your price range.
  • I have the Polar RS 200 and love it. I would save my pennies and get a nicer one rather then a cheapo that you'll be unhappy with.
  • I also want one. And I want it to be pretty and cheap.