What??!??!??!

• This week I've exercised more. And I thought my eating pattern had settled down a little. I know its been stressful, and stress can affect weight loss/gain but I've put on 4lbs And its not even just a one-off on the scale either. I weighed myself Saturday, Sunday and today. Morning and night. I know I've eaten a bit of junk. I'm not perfect. But with one week to go til my mini-goal deadline I thought I was well on track to reach my 8lb loss. I guess I'll forget about it for now. My goal I mean...not my diet.

I've decided as we're staying in a caravan for our holiday and will have access to cooker/fridge/etc I'm going to keep up with my diet while we're away. I want to do more walking too and will be dancing with the little 'un every night I'm not going to stick perfectly to my diet. So will allow myself one treat a day. I'll see what my weight looks like when I get back and think I'll be jumping straight back onto the weight-loss train.
  • You might be eating too little, I kept cutting back until I realized I was doing it too much
  • Sounds frustrating but it seems like you've got a great attitude Have a fun holiday!
  • Thanks. I will!!

I'm eating about 1500 calories. And doing plenty of exercise. Surely thats enough?
  • How often are you working out? I would up the calories a bit more, personally. Maybe try 1600 for a few days. I am 5', 163 lbs and work out 5xs per week. If I am to lose 1 lb per week, I am to eat 1400 per day.
  • Also, are you sore. Muscle tends to retain water for a few days after strenuous workouts to help repair itself. For example, I take a boot camp class and typically gain 2-3lb for a few days
  • It sounds like despite what the scale read you have a positive and goal oriented attitude! Hang in there hun, if your working out and eating a balanced diet the weight has to come off. Persistence!
  • It sounds like it is probably water retention. I did a really strenuous hike earlier this month, and gained about 3 pounds. It also stayed for a few days, and then it all wooshed of plus within a few days. Don't worry. Keep on keeping on! You're doing great!
  • This is a wonderful post. I did some exercises with weights on Saturday and on Sunday I had gained 2 pounds. Those 2 pounds are still with me today. I have been sore from the weights and depressed about the gain. Maybe I am simply retaining water from Saturday's workout.
  • IMO if you are exercising a lot you should eat at least 1600 calories. So I'd either stay at 1500 and cut down on exercise or up the calories to 1600-1800 and work out more. Remember too much of a deficit in calories can hurt.

So at your weight you are burning say 2100 calories a day, eating 1500 already makes a 600 calorie deficit. Then say you are burning 300-600 calories per workout, so that brings your deficiet to 900-1200 calories a day. I have found through the years if my deficit is more than 800-1000 calories a day I stop losing- don't ask me why I don't get it!
  • I definitely notice that when I up my workout intensity. My money is also on water retention. I notice that the gain is less painful if I up my water intake.
  • Thanks. My workouts aren't exactly very strenuous. I'm not very fit and I get a stitch when I do anything like dancing running/etc. So I'm trying to do too big workouts a week and then do a few (i.e.: 3-4) hours walking on all the other days. I'm eating 1500 calories ish. But on the days I workout more I tend to eat more....

I burn 2590 calories a day without any exercise included at my weight. And so as I'm aiming for 2lbs loss a week. I'm using loseit to show me how many calories I've burnt in order to see how much I should be eating. I've been recording my food and exercise and am still coming out at around 100 cals under at least per day.