Soy light Vanilla Milk VS Skim Milk

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Yes to what everyone said. I have also heard (although I am not sure where) that it is not great to eat a lot of soy, especially processed soy products like soy milk. Maybe someone else can chime in with more info on this b/c I'd sure like to know myself.

I eat 1/2 cup of edamame most days, but it still makes me a little nervous given all I have heard about soy.
  • Thanks everyone for the advice and input. I am sticking to skim milk!
  • Quote: Yes to what everyone said. I have also heard (although I am not sure where) that it is not great to eat a lot of soy, especially processed soy products like soy milk. Maybe someone else can chime in with more info on this b/c I'd sure like to know myself..
    The soy thing is pretty controversial and there's some mixed research and a whole lot of internet speculation and hyperbole. Based on everything I've read I limit my intake of processed soy in the form of soy isolate but don't worry at all about whole soy products like soy milk, tofu, tempeh and edamame. This is very much a decide for yourself thing though and take everything that isn't peer reviewed research with a very large grain of salt (and a gallon of water)
  • I love Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. I was a Vanilla soy milk drinker before South Beach and had a hard time adjusting to Unsweetened Vanilla Soy which was pretty much the only flavored, non sugar added soy milk. Even though it's unsweetened, it just didn't taste like anything. I'd add a drop or two of stevia to sweeten it which kind of defeated the purpose.

I'd really give Unsweetened Vanilla Almond a shot - it's really good! I use it in oatmeal, cereals, smoothies, and even drink it alone.
  • Quote: I love Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. I was a Vanilla soy milk drinker before South Beach and had a hard time adjusting to Unsweetened Vanilla Soy which was pretty much the only flavored, non sugar added soy milk. Even though it's unsweetened, it just didn't taste like anything. I'd add a drop or two of stevia to sweeten it which kind of defeated the purpose.

I'd really give Unsweetened Vanilla Almond a shot - it's really good! I use it in oatmeal, cereals, smoothies, and even drink it alone.

do you drink Almond Breeze or is there another brand you would suggest?
  • Quote: do you drink Almond Breeze or is there another brand you would suggest?
    Yep! Almond Breeze by Blue Diamond is what I buy. I don't go through as much of it, so I like the size of the shelf stable containers. I can buy a few at once and keep them in the pantry. They also makes a version in the refrigerator section, just make sure and double check that it's unsweetened vanilla. Some places don't like to stock the unsweetened as much.
  • Whatever you buy, just make sure its fortified with calcium, vitamin D & vitamin A. I've managed to purchase unfortified almond milk mistakenly believing it had to be fortified by law.

My pick is Earthsown Almond Fresh in the refrigerator section.
  • Quote: Yep! Almond Breeze by Blue Diamond is what I buy. I don't go through as much of it, so I like the size of the shelf stable containers. I can buy a few at once and keep them in the pantry. They also makes a version in the refrigerator section, just make sure and double check that it's unsweetened vanilla. Some places don't like to stock the unsweetened as much.
    thanks for the tip!! i will definitely check to make sure its unsweetened!