I ran 13.1 miles without stopping yesterday

• Hello,

I just wanted to share that I completed my first half marathon yesterday. My time was 2:18. I never stopped running. I had to look down to see if my legs were moving from time to time. It was kind of a surreal experience. I thought that I would be super exhausted at the end, but I wasn't. My legs felt a little rubbery and funny and today my muscles are stiff, but I am in no pain, which is incredible.

Last year at this time I couldn't run for a minute without stopping. I am so excited that I don't have words to describe it.

I have another half planned for May 1st and a full marathon in Dec. this year. Thank you to all you runners for the encouragement.
  • OMG!!!WTG!!!

You should be so incredibly proud of yourself! I am so inspired by your story. Thanks for sharing!
  • Fantastic!!!!
  • Oh wow! That's incredible! I'm so happy for you! I love that you had to look down to see if your legs were still moving. I think I understand that.
  • Amazing! Great job, that's such a milestone and and an achievement!
  • Wow! Congrats!

As someone who just hit the one-mile mark, I can't comprehend adding 12 more, but seeing all of these success stories leads me to believe there is hope!

Great job
  • Congratulations. You should be very proud.

There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open
  • I'm on Week 5 of the c25k right now, and feeling VERY intimidated by day 3's 20 minute run. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!
  • That's great!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Congratulations!!

I completed three half marathons last year, but all were run/walk, and my fastest was just under 3 hours. I hope to one day be able to run the whole thing! I just need to get motivated to train harder - the great weight loss you got along with being able to run that far is certainly motivating!
  • omg, good job! I hope to be in your shoes a year from now. I can't even run a full mile without stopping, but I'm getting there! Great job, and you're an inspiration!
  • Thank you everyone.

A year ago, I could barely run for a minute either. However, years ago, before my Parkinson's diagnosis, I was training to run a marathon. So, apparently my body remembers, because I have really only been running consistently since September 2010.

All I can say is never underestimate yourself. We all have greatness in us just waiting to get out. I have never felt better, even with Parkinson's. I wish all of you the very best with your goals.

As for me, on to Marathon training...................
  • Congratulations!! My first half marathon was so much fun - I think I grinned from ear to ear the whole time. That's a great time for a first half too!