Phase 3 Breakfast Ideas

You're on Page 18 of 25
Go to
  • I have a question for all you wonderful and resourceful people who contributed to this very helpful thread. What would you guys recommend for someone who is not planning on introducing grains (specifically wheat) back into there diet. Ever. I agree and would follow everything else on the guide to the phase 3 breakfast but would be wheat free for this and all of maintenance. Not sure what I should do. Cut the grains portion out of the equation entirely or increase the fruit?
  • Quote: I have a question for all you wonderful and resourceful people who contributed to this very helpful thread. What would you guys recommend for someone who is not planning on introducing grains (specifically wheat) back into there diet. Ever. I agree and would follow everything else on the guide to the phase 3 breakfast but would be wheat free for this and all of maintenance. Not sure what I should do. Cut the grains portion out of the equation entirely or increase the fruit?
    Wheat is not the only "grain" that you can use - there are quite a few gluten free options. GF oats, quinoa, potato, rice, any gluten free breads.
  • I've been learning more about gluten & gluten sensitivity/intolerance, especially as a contributing factor to autoimmune diseases.

Unfortunately, our medical docs usually know very little about it, unless they've used additional resources to reach out and learn because modern medicine treats disease with pharmaceuticals and rarely with diet. Most docs learn very little about diet in medical school, let alone how to support disease thru diet.

There are some docs, however who know about the contributing factor of gluten to diseases such as MS, Hashimotos, rheumatoid arthritis (to name a few) and since RA is genetic and my grandmother had it, I'm looking into doing whatever I can to avoid.

One thing I've learned recently is that gluten is present in more than just wheat, barley, rye. There are glutogens in corn, oats, and other grains. Many "gluten-free" processed foods sold still have some gluten, although so little they don't have to claim it (sound familiar? -carb labeling?). Even many quinoa products tested contained gluten due to the facilities where they were processed.

So, I guess it depends on the reasons for avoiding all grains. My coach and I have already started having these discussions so I can do the necessary research to be ready when the time comes

I'll be happy to share more info as I get it but, Monica, I'm pretty sure with your speed of weight loss, you'll be there before I
  • Monica I have been eating rye bread. I have actually aquired a taste for it! This is on the days that I don't have oatmeal. I love to have oatmeal with 1 c. strawberries and 8 oz 1% milk.
  • Quote: Monica I have been eating rye bread. I have actually aquired a taste for it! This is on the days that I don't have oatmeal. I love to have oatmeal with 1 c. strawberries and 8 oz 1% milk.
    Rye bread has always been my favorite bread. I alternate between rye bread toast with my egg and chicken sausage on it (yum) and putting granola in my yogurt with fruit. (more yum) just some other ideas....
  • I love Kind brand vanilla blueberry clusters with flax seeds. It's a gluten free low glycemic granola. My go to breakfast on work days is to mix it with a small container of Fage 0% plain yogurt, 1C sliced strawberries, and 1T peanut butter. So good!

This recipe was in this month's cooking light. I haven't made it yet but am going to try it soon. Will probably make it with almond milk rather than coconut as I'm not a huge coconut fan, and might sub splenda for the brown sugar. It makes 4 servings. You would still have to add protein/dairy to make a complete P3 breakfast.

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
    3/4 cup light coconut milk
    2 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon light brown sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
    1 cup sliced banana
    1 cup sliced strawberries

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
    2. Place quinoa in a fine sieve, and place the sieve in a large bowl. Cover quinoa with water. Using your hands, rub the grains together for 30 seconds; rinse and drain quinoa. Repeat the procedure twice. Drain well. Combine quinoa, coconut milk, 2 tablespoons water, brown sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Stir mixture constantly during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
    3. While quinoa cooks, spread flaked coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly.
    4. Place about 1/2 cup quinoa mixture in each of 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1/4 cup strawberry slices, 1/4 cup banana slices, and 1 tablespoon toasted coconut. Serve warm.

Amount per serving

Calories: 178
    Fat: 5.5g
    Saturated fat: 3.8g
    Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
    Protein: 4.4g
    Carbohydrate: 30.4g
    Fiber: 3.7g
    Cholesterol: 0.0mg
    Iron: 1.6mg
    Sodium: 89mg
    Calcium: 22mg
  • Quote: There are some docs, however who know about the contributing factor of gluten to diseases such as MS, Hashimotos, rheumatoid arthritis (to name a few) and since RA is genetic and my grandmother had it, I'm looking into doing whatever I can to avoid.

One thing I've learned recently is that gluten is present in more than just wheat, barley, rye. There are glutogens in corn, oats, and other grains. Many "gluten-free" processed foods sold still have some gluten, although so little they don't have to claim it (sound familiar? -carb labeling?). Even many quinoa products tested contained gluten due to the facilities where they were processed.
    It might be beneficial for those considering gluten free (by choice) to research some information on sites like www.celiac.com and other Celiac disease resources - people with celiac disease have physical (sometimes violently physical) digestive reactions to foods that contain gluten. If there are in fact foods that are labeled gluten free but still contain gluten, those are the people who would know.
  • Quote: I have a question for all you wonderful and resourceful people who contributed to this very helpful thread. What would you guys recommend for someone who is not planning on introducing grains (specifically wheat) back into there diet. Ever. I agree and would follow everything else on the guide to the phase 3 breakfast but would be wheat free for this and all of maintenance. Not sure what I should do. Cut the grains portion out of the equation entirely or increase the fruit?
    I do not intend to add wheat back to my diet either. I don't need to be gluten free, but I have some concerns about the blood sugar impact of wheat products.

I have been in maintenance for over a month now. The grains I have been eating are Quinoa, Buckwheat, Amaranth and Teff. I eat them as a hot cereal in the morning. I make a batch that will last me a few days and keep it stored in the fridge.

It has been working pretty well for me.
  • I knew that this was the right place to ask this question. I also do not NEED to be gluten free, but it is a diet choice I am making to be wheat and gluten free to stay away from the negative side effects they have on my body and my blood sugar. Plus I do not want my heartburn and IBS back .
    Plus for me forgoing wheat (in all it's many forms) will open up my calories for more veggies, meats, cheeses, and fruits I love as I maintain for the rest of my life. Thanks for the suggestions everyone
  • Many people with celiac do have physical reactions to gluten, while some have no symtoms at all.

However, even without feeling the effects of gluten, ingesting it if you do have celiac, eats away at your intestines over time.
  • Glutenfreesociety.org is another great resource
  • Oooooh...I was just lurking on some of my favorite threads now that I've found 10 minutes to try to catch up and found more gluten-free resources! I've been crazy busy lately, not only with the pregnancy, but my non-verbal son (2y9m) was diagnosed with Autism a while back. We switched his diet 2 weeks ago to gluten-free/casein-free...he said 10 new words the first weekend and has gained at least 30 new words since we made the switch, not to mention the increase in his pretend play and 2/3-word combinations and eye contact. Seriously, I started his new diet with an "it can't hurt to try" attitude, it's amazing the effect that this switch has on so many areas of our body!
  • Quote: Oooooh...I was just lurking on some of my favorite threads now that I've found 10 minutes to try to catch up and found more gluten-free resources! I've been crazy busy lately, not only with the pregnancy, but my non-verbal son (2y9m) was diagnosed with Autism a while back. We switched his diet 2 weeks ago to gluten-free/casein-free...he said 10 new words the first weekend and has gained at least 30 new words since we made the switch, not to mention the increase in his pretend play and 2/3-word combinations and eye contact. Seriously, I started his new diet with an "it can't hurt to try" attitude, it's amazing the effect that this switch has on so many areas of our body!
    Wow thats amazing!
    So happy for you!
    Amazing how changing his diet can help him so much!
    Hope your feeling well.

D
  • Thanks everyone for sharing recipes and wisdom, it is helpful as I begin to plan for the future.
  • Bumping up.... Moved onto phase 2 yesterday- a bit before goal, but I need to phase off and get an eating plan in place before some big commitments in July. Not going to lie, stressing out a bit already, but this is an awesome thread!