It's the SMALL CHANGES that help

• I've come to realize that I'm not going to be one of those people that goes on a diet. What I'm doing is making changes and I like it.

I started doing water aerobics in September and I love it. I go 3x a week. Every now and again I'll take a zumba class but I have bad knees.

I use to eat a sandwich for lunch everyday. Then one of my co-workers told me about Select Bread. You can find it by every bread company out there. I think mine is Arnold. I really liked the select bread it's only 100 calories so I did that for awhile.

Then I decided to skip the bread and just eat salad. Well that was fine but I realized when I got home I was starving and would eat all the junk food I could find. So I realized I needed a bigger salad. Now every day I eat a really big salad with croutons and I add a couple of sliced of lunch meat to it. Now I'm not perfect because I tend to drown it in salad dressing. That's going to be my next change.

I only drink water for lunch. I don't really drink soda but every now and then I'll have a glass.

Now for the kicker. SALT AND CHOCOLATE. This is what does me in.

I love chips and chocolate. Chocolate candy (snickers), any kind of potato chips and once I start, it's over.

My favorite cookie was chips deluxe. I haven't bought a bag of cookies since October and I don't miss them. I know I'm making progress because my husband bought a bag of Oreo's and they're still on top of the refrigerator. AND I HAVEN'T TOUCHED THEM (yet). Also on top of the fridge is a box of hostess cupcakes...........haven't touched them either Yippee !

Another change I made is I use to eat sausage biscuits for breakfast all the time.I still eat them just not as often. Now I eat Special K and I add fruit to it. I also take fruit to work and have it with my salad. One nice gadget I have is my apple slicer. I take my apple slice it and trow it in a zip lock bag and if I don't eat it all at work I eat it in the car on the way home. See, I'm getting there.

This forum is also a great place to get inspiration. I can't tell you how many stories I've read that just let me know I CAN DO THIS.
    Anyway, I just wanted to write this down because I like all my small changes and I can feel the difference in my clothes. One day I hope to post pictures. Well I'm off to my water aerobics class !
  • I think every little change helps. I am down to over-drinking followed by overeating about once every ten days, which is really helping me! I am eating small meals and snacks every 2-3-4 hours, which also helps.

I only buy NO SALT ADDED potato chips now; I do not cook with salt; if I buy a frozen diet meal I cut it in half and add frozen veggies.
  • Quote: I've come to realize that I'm not going to be one of those people that goes on a diet. What I'm doing is making changes and I like it.

I started doing water aerobics in September and I love it. I go 3x a week. Every now and again I'll take a zumba class but I have bad knees.

I use to eat a sandwich for lunch everyday. Then one of my co-workers told me about Select Bread. You can find it by every bread company out there. I think mine is Arnold. I really liked the select bread it's only 100 calories so I did that for awhile.

Then I decided to skip the bread and just eat salad. Well that was fine but I realized when I got home I was starving and would eat all the junk food I could find. So I realized I needed a bigger salad. Now every day I eat a really big salad with croutons and I add a couple of sliced of lunch meat to it. Now I'm not perfect because I tend to drown it in salad dressing. That's going to be my next change.

I only drink water for lunch. I don't really drink soda but every now and then I'll have a glass.

Now for the kicker. SALT AND CHOCOLATE. This is what does me in.

I love chips and chocolate. Chocolate candy (snickers), any kind of potato chips and once I start, it's over.

My favorite cookie was chips deluxe. I haven't bought a bag of cookies since October and I don't miss them. I know I'm making progress because my husband bought a bag of Oreo's and they're still on top of the refrigerator. AND I HAVEN'T TOUCHED THEM (yet). Also on top of the fridge is a box of hostess cupcakes...........haven't touched them either Yippee !

Another change I made is I use to eat sausage biscuits for breakfast all the time.I still eat them just not as often. Now I eat Special K and I add fruit to it. I also take fruit to work and have it with my salad. One nice gadget I have is my apple slicer. I take my apple slice it and trow it in a zip lock bag and if I don't eat it all at work I eat it in the car on the way home. See, I'm getting there.

This forum is also a great place to get inspiration. I can't tell you how many stories I've read that just let me know I CAN DO THIS.
    Anyway, I just wanted to write this down because I like all my small changes and I can feel the difference in my clothes. One day I hope to post pictures. Well I'm off to my water aerobics class !
    That's exactly what I am doing I am making little changes that will hopefully add up to a big loss!
  • The othe day I was at McDonalds' and I asked them to not put tarter sauce on it and I didn't have any french fries.....next time I'm going to tell them I just want it plain....just ketchup
  • This is a REALLY great post. A lot of beginners who have never dieted come on and post "Help! What do I do?", because the whole world of dieting is very confusing and intimidating at first. This a really good back-to-basics reminder that losing weight is reducing your calories, and that can start by small changes.
  • so i just added another small change. I eat a big salad with ham croutons and ranch dressing. So I made a change to a spray on salad dressing. 1 calorie per spray. Lets see how this helps.
  • All those small changes turn into healthy habits that can last a life time. Congrats & keep up the great work!
  • I've noticed that too. Small changes really help you in the long run

Over several years I started out by exercising, then eating better, then watching some of my portions to now counting calories. All helped me finally reach the point where I could lose a significant amount of weight.
  • that's what I want to count calories. i have the lose it app but I just can't figure out how to put in all my snacking. ans the way I eat.....SMH. EXCUSES
  • Quote: that's what I want to count calories. i have the lose it app but I just can't figure out how to put in all my snacking. ans the way I eat.....SMH. EXCUSES
    There is an app that I use called Calorie Counter. It has a large food database and also foods from restaurants as well.
  • That's great! That's exactly how I started my weight loss journey, BABY STEPS. I've tried losing in the past, doing everything at once and I always gave up because it was just overload for me. This time I just kept making small changes and it worked very well.

First, I went running, then I gave up sweets, then I switched to whole grains, then I started lifting etc. I haven't counted calories but instead I worked on making lifestyle changes that I feel like I can keep for the rest of my life and I figure that as long as I get to a healthy BMI then I'll just let this process take me to whatever weight I settle on.

So many times with dieting you hear that you HAVE to lose 1-2lbs a week and that you HAVE to do this and that. When, really, the best diet is one you can stick to for the long haul.
  • Quote: There is an app that I use called Calorie Counter. It has a large food database and also foods from restaurants as well.
    I use this app, and I love it! It has made calorie counting so much easier than the old "paper and pen" days.
  • Quote: That's great! That's exactly how I started my weight loss journey, BABY STEPS. I've tried losing in the past, doing everything at once and I always gave up because it was just overload for me. This time I just kept making small changes and it worked very well.

First, I went running, then I gave up sweets, then I switched to whole grains, then I started lifting etc. I haven't counted calories but instead I worked on making lifestyle changes that I feel like I can keep for the rest of my life and I figure that as long as I get to a healthy BMI then I'll just let this process take me to whatever weight I settle on.

So many times with dieting you hear that you HAVE to lose 1-2lbs a week and that you HAVE to do this and that. When, really, the best diet is one you can stick to for the long haul.

That was so well put I love it and from looking at your ticker it's definitely paying off.
  • Quote: That was so well put I love it and from looking at your ticker it's definitely paying off.
    Thanks! It looks like you're also making good headway, keep up the good work!