Protein Powders and all the CHOICES??

• I'd like to incorporate protein powders on days when I lift weights. But there are SOOOO many choices. What's good out there? What would you stay away from? I just want to use it to help with muscles and help me become leaner.
  • I always opt for natural-protein through wholesome and nutrional foods. Dairy/nuts/fish have lots of protein, so do lean meats :-) I make my own natural protein shakes and they include

milk, banana, flaxseed meal, greek yogurt and oats. Depending on what and how much I can put in almost double anything a powder can give me, plus I've power punched 'powder supplement' to the real deal and omega 3's, fiber and loads of electrolytes for recovery!
  • I use Premier protein drinks. I drink the chocolate ones but they have to be cold or they don't taste very good, imo. They are 11 ounces.

Calories: 160
    Fat: 3
    Sodium: 330
    carbs: 5
    Fiber: 3
    Sugars: 1
    Protein: 30
  • Couldn't tell you specifically a brand but:
    -it should be all-natural and a whey protein isolate
  • I use Gold Standard 100% Whey. I get it at GNC. It tastes good and blends very easily. I just mix mine with skim milk most of the time. I rarely take the time to make a full on smoothie with fruit and everything, but when I do it goes well in those too. It comes in quite a few flavors and the nutritional data varies slightly depending on the flavor. Right now I have "Double Rich Chocolate".

Per 30g scoop:
    Calories - 120
    Fat - 1g
    Sat. Fat - 0.5g
    Cholesterol - 30mg
    Sodium - 60mg
    Carb - 3g
    Sugar - 1g
    Protein - 24g
    Calcium - 10%
    Iron - 2%

If you go to a GNC and tell them which things are important to you - low cal, low carb, good taste, blends easily, certain flavors available, etc. they are usually very helpful and they have a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it.

Don't get the Jillian Michaels one, it doesn't mix well and it tastes kinda chalky. I grabbed some cuz it was cheap and I was curious, bleh!
  • I use genisoy. the newer ones have 25 grams. they are soy though, which some people don't like to eat. I have no problem with it though.
  • I'm actually a big fan of soymilk.

Has anyone tried the wellBEing line at GNC? They have a protein powder that I think is aimed for women. I did try one other at GNC that had 60grams of protein a serving ( which was 3 scoops ) I used it after days that I lifted weights, but with 270 calories a serving AND 60 grams of protein, I made that my dinner.
  • Quote: Couldn't tell you specifically a brand but:
    -it should be all-natural and a whey protein isolate
    ok, why isolate? I've heard this before, but I don't even know what isolate is.

Why is that better than others?
  • Quote: ok, why isolate? I've heard this before, but I don't even know what isolate is.

Why is that better than others?
    The reason that i go for it that it contains the highest level of protein as possible with very little fat and lactose. It's higher quality (more pure) and has a higher bioavailbility. When I want protein, I want protein not a milkshake mix with a ton of fillers.
  • I like Jillian Michael's brand. Not because of the name, but because it's naturally sweetened with stevia (no chemicals like aspartame).