Anyone else doing IF? (Intermittent Fasting)

You're on Page 19 of 28
Go to
  • Quote: WOOOOOO!
    Am I reading this right? You're 12lbs under your goal weight?
  • Quote: Am I reading this right? You're 12lbs under your goal weight?
    Yep, I chose 140 as an arbitrary goal (it was my drivers license weight) and now I'm just waiting to see where I end up. I'm working on getting rid of more body fat now.
  • Quote: Yep, I chose 140 as an arbitrary goal (it was my drivers license weight) and now I'm just waiting to see where I end up. I'm working on getting rid of more body fat now.
    I assume you're doing this for aesthetics? If so I'd highly advise weight lifting if you're not already doing so.
  • More potential health benefits for routine periodic short term fasting - AKA intermittent fasting.
  • Sundays are rest, recover and refeed days. Back to my window today
  • Quote: I assume you're doing this for aesthetics? If so I'd highly advise weight lifting if you're not already doing so.

Yep, definitely for aesthetics. I do circuit training with strength/cardio. Admittedly not as much as I would like. Thanks for the info you posted!
  • Quote: Yep, definitely for aesthetics. I do circuit training with strength/cardio. Admittedly not as much as I would like. Thanks for the info you posted!
    Nice. Just be careful. There is a reason figure competitors don't live all year in stage/photo condition. At a certain point depending on genetics you'll be fighting your body's hormones to lose more fat and from everything I have seen and read you can will the battle but your body will win the war.

The good news is intermittent fasting seems to be a tremendous help in achieving low levels of leaness without the hormonal issues that typcially happen in men and women assuming the weight loss is not rapid.
  • Quote: Nice. Just be careful. There is a reason figure competitors don't live all year in stage/photo condition. At a certain point depending on genetics you'll be fighting your body's hormones to lose more fat and from everything I have seen and read you can will the battle but your body will win the war.

The good news is intermittent fasting seems to be a tremendous help in achieving low levels of leaness without the hormonal issues that typcially happen in men and women assuming the weight loss is not rapid.
    Would I be at risk for this if I'm still eating the same amount I usually do? I eat by the Belly Fat Cure, so I keep it to 15g sugar a day and 6 servings of carbs. With IF I've just been doing this between 1 and 8pm. Lots of veggies, protein, etc.

I'm not a crazy body builder or anything, more like 'soft'.
  • Quote: Would I be at risk for this if I'm still eating the same amount I usually do? I eat by the Belly Fat Cure, so I keep it to 15g sugar a day and 6 servings of carbs. With IF I've just been doing this between 1 and 8pm. Lots of veggies, protein, etc.

I'm not a crazy body builder or anything, more like 'soft'.
    If you're still losing weight than it is because you're eating fewer calories than your body requires to maintain your current weight and activity level.

At your height and weight I'd guess you're pretty far from the danger zone (depending on how much muscle you have.) I'm only bringing it up because some people are unaware than underwear/bikini/fitness models don't look the way we see them every day of the year. Thus they think they can simply restrict calories and exercise until one day they will look that way.

The danger zone for females seems to be in the high teens body fat percentage wise depending on a variety of factors. Below that point is where trouble seems to happen especially when while attempting to get below there exercise is increased and calories are futher restricted.

Here is a good little bit by Leigh Peele to help gauge where you're at.
  • Quote: If you're still losing weight than it is because you're eating fewer calories than your body requires to maintain your current weight and activity level.

At your height and weight I'd guess you're pretty far from the danger zone (depending on how much muscle you have.) I'm only bringing it up because some people are unaware than underwear/bikini/fitness models don't look the way we see them every day of the year. Thus they think they can simply restrict calories and exercise until one day they will look that way.

The danger zone for females seems to be in the high teens body fat percentage wise depending on a variety of factors. Below that point is where trouble seems to happen especially when while attempting to get below there exercise is increased and calories are futher restricted.

Here is a good little bit by Leigh Peele to help gauge where you're at.

Thanks for the link! I am pretty dang far from the danger zone. Not trying to get RRRRRIPPPPPPEEEEDDDD or be a bikini model. It's more about toning the jiggly parts!
  • Wow great article! Thanks for sharing John.
  • Doing well in my window! How is everyone else??

However, today my normal sized lunch I've been taking to work every day forever made me very, very full. Maybe I ate it too fast? Anyone notice this right after their window opens?
  • Here's the NYT's take on the article that John shared.

Tx I get really full now after my first meal too. I couldn't even really eat dinner last night. Probably ok since I'm coming off a vacation weekend and am very sedentary these days!
  • I actually ate a bit outside of my window today

Not horrible, but i ate first at 3:30pm and it's a bit after 11pm and I'm just finishing up my last meal.

I am PMSing so my calories are higher, but it's all within plan. I always give myself a couple of high days that i am 'allowed' to put in whereever I want to during the month.

I think I hit about 1600ish calories today.
  • I wish we could have an IF sub-forum! I've got lots of questions, and the one thread is getting a bit unwieldy.

I'm on my third window day today.
    Monday was fine.
    Tuesday was great.
    This morning I want to liquidize a steak and call it 'drink'!!!! I won't, I'm just hungry and don't want to be. It will pass, I really don't mind the feeling of hunger.

Two questions:
    My window is 12-6, not saying that won't change, I'm experimenting with what is workable in my normal daily routine.
    Yesterday I felt fine, until I was walking home from town. It's only about 15 minutes, a bit of a sneakily steady incline but not normally hard work. I was pulling my shopping trolley behind, which was quite heavy.
    I found I was really struggling: not tired, not out of breath, just like walking through waist-high cement.
    It having arrived at 12:15, I paused and had a coffee and a cookie. The rest of the journey was better.
    Question 1: Is this a normal feeling for the early stages of IF? I'm assuming it'll wear off, the longer I do it.

Question 2:
    I don't really have spontaneous eating invitations but what if I know that on Saturday I'm invited to a dinner at 8pm, when my window closes at 6? Is it OK just to move the whole window along a couple of hours or so?

So far, the thing I like best about IF, all 3 days of it (1 trial day last week, 2 consecutive this week) is the freedom in the evenings ~ "My window is shut" just seems to be imprinted in my mind: I occasionally stray into the kitchen, wondering what I can nibble one, then remember: "My window is shut" and it's like, Hurrah! I don't have to struggle with What to eat any more, the answer is 'Nothing'. It's very freeing.