snack foods?

• What are your favorite inbetween meal snacks that are diabetic friendly?
  • I avoid the carbs. So veggies with dip, (NAS ranch, NAS blue cheese, summer fresh asiago and artichoke dip etc) is a big favourite. I really old white cheddar cheese is also good, v low carb, and little effect on blood sugars.
  • I'm so new at this...and still learning from everyone, but the last few days, STRING CHEESE has really helped me keep my blood sugar level in the right range.
  • I get 0 carb sandwich meat called Hormel Natural Choice Deli Smoked ham no additives and roll it up with lettuce (not enough lettuce to count any carb. Sometimes take cheese stick and roll it up with the sandwich meat. There is a new cheese stick put out by Sargento that is Pavilone and Mozzerella that is 0 carbs. These make nice 0 carb snack.
  • I do eat carbs in moderation. I don't snack unless I'm hungry and then it's usually half an apple, some grapes, hummus with veggie sticks or some V8 with a Baby Bel cheese.
    I really don't believe in "snacking" since it's what got me to 232 pounds! On the other hand, I know it's sometimes needed to stabilize BGL swings.
  • Thank you. I am trying to stay away from carbs and those are great ideas. I am newly diagnosed and am sitting here thinking wow, usually I grab a handfull or two of goldfish and snack with my kids. I just gave them some and looked at the carb amount. not good.
  • A couple handfuls of cashews or almonds can sometimes satisfy that desire for a salty snack. Nuts are pretty low carb, as long as you don't go overboard. They're high in fat but it's heart-healthy fat at least!
  • Thanks. Nuts. I had no idea. So much learning to do
  • Popcorn is good, too, if you need that salty taste.
  • Kale chips if your looking for salty and crunchy....mmmmmm

my other go to's for snacks are

Half an apple with .5-1 oz of walnuts or cheese
    Cheese sticks
    Turkey pepperette (however these do have nitrates
    1/2 grilled chicken breast (I will cook up a bunch at the beginning of the week and put them in the fridge)
    Hard boiled eggs
    Veggies and dip or hummus
    Sometimes a nut delight bar or a lunabar (these do have carbs but a reasonable amount 10-15g and protein)

Basically if I am going to have fruit I have nuts or cheese with it.
    • a measured serving of nuts (or I go overboard) or a spoonful of peanut butter
    • a slice of cheese or string cheese or Mexican fried cheese
    • a couple spoonsful of cottage cheese
    • salad greens (or shredded cabbage) with a bit of full-fat dressing
    • hard cooked egg or deviled/curried eggs
    • roast turkey or roast beef spread with cream cheese and wrapped around a dill pickle spear
    • veggies w/dip
    • pork rinds w/dip
    • some olives and pepperoni slices
    • a cup of hot tea with a bit of heavy cream
    • cheese squares placed on parchment paper and microwaved for a minute or two (makes wonderful cheese "crackers"!)

Basically, anything that will keep me going until the next meal without raising my BG too much.
  • Weird sounding but my recent snack is a slice of apple with peanut butter. It's really a good tasting combination! Depending on the time of day I eat it I have not had much of a BG spike from this.
  • cut up an apple mix in 2 packets of splenda, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, and about 10 squirts of butter. heat in microwave for 2 minutes. taste like apple pie. you could also add a dannon light pineapple/coconut yogurt after you cook it. mix it all up. DH does this for his ice cream topping.
  • Well I hardly eat anack but when i do eat a snack here is somethings I eat:

Applesauce
    Fruit cocktail
    Banana
    Grapes
    Yogurt
    Wheat thins (be careful cus if you are on a low Carb diet these might be for u cus they have 27g of Carb but my carbs intake is 160g a day so I don't go over).
    And i sometimes drink a cup of cranberry juice.

But you have to do what best for u.
  • This is an old thread and the OP has not been online since March 5. I am closing it and will move it to a sticky since there are some good ideas here.