Like "Magic": It's Called a "Working Metabolism"!

• Hi Everybody! This is a long one, kind of a testimonial.
    My younger daughter (28) has been "struggling" with her plan (based on whole foods and restricting pre-packaged and empty-calorie foods) since the holidays and went at it three times, trying to "kickstart" her weight loss again. She was having trouble sticking to her foods and amounts after the holiday meals and all the advice that I could offer her was to not beat her self up and just not go wild.
    She actually tried a couple of other things that she'd done before over a month and the last one lasted about 10 days. I'm not naming the plan but it's VERY restrictive and makes you give up all bread and refined carbs, any extra salt and oil, etc. She'd been having an occasional dizzy spell and after a week of this plan, every time she had to stoop down at work she'd almost pass out when she stood up! She ate like a "normal person" the last evening and the symptoms went away. She was suffering from hypoglycemia!
    After that she settled back on "the plan", realizing it was working, and within a week, she did see the needle start to move again. She is astounded that she is still losing 1-2 pounds a week on 1400-1600 calories a day (rotated) and a few 1800 calorie "binge days". This week she dropped an additional 2 pounds, so she dropped 4 for the week! She is 19-25 pounds from her goal.
    "How can this be happening?" she said to me last night. I told her "It's called a working metabolism"! It took her many pounds to get there and she didn't lose it all at once. She'd lost some weight about 2 years ago, kept most of it off and dropped another 20-25 pounds before a wedding fall of 2009 and maintained that. She started on this current plan this fall, a year later. Now she does reduce her caloric intake by 50 every time she loses 5 pounds and she moderated "the plan" by changing it slightly; she found a hypoglycemic diet that allows a bit more protein for fewer carbs but is otherwise the same. She does cardio 2-5 days a week. Right now she has almost no clothes as the change over the last few months has been dramatic!
    She insists that the arthritic pains/neuralgia she'd had in her hands and feet since childhood are almost gone and she has more physical strength! Well, this just proves to me that all that "stuff" I learned in my college nutrition class last year is all true! Our bodies are amazing temples and we can heal our metabolisms!

Good Night, All. Sleep tight!
  • A very inspirational story and you must be so proud of her
  • Thanks for sharing this....and hooray for your daughter!
  • That's great! I'm glad that she found something that works for her. The hypoglycemia could have been really bad but sounds like she was able to modify things to meet her needs.
  • Wow! Thanx for all of the replies-I've been out of the loop, having started my temp job 3 weeks ago, so I haven't been about much! I am proud of her and she is proud of herself-I don't know that she was sure that she could get there at first. Part of it is that once you get below a certain size every 7-9 pounds takes you down a size! In the last month she dropped from a size L top to an M and she probably needs a size 8 pants now...and yes, she EATS!!! Lots, although she will be able to eat more on maintenance...because she eats "good" foods. I can see where she can lose 15-20 LBS more but I think much more than that, she'll be too thin. she has a large frame.