Calling All Walkers! Join Us!

You're on Page 9 of 10
Go to
  • Well, I took the night off tonight...falling asleep at the table while listening to the State of the Union (sorry, Mr. Bush! )

Mele, as far as Mardi Gras goes...it is *every* bit as crazy as you see in the pictures. In fact, Bourbon Street on Mardi Gras day is quite a terrifying experience. You have no control over your own destiny--you are packed in and pretty much have to move with the crowd. You will see nearly every kind of public debauchery imaginable. Liquor and urine flow freely. Pretty appealing to the college age crowd, not so much for us ol' folks. My family and I usually head down for one big parade, Bacchus, which is Sat. the weekend before Fat Tuesday. There are dozens of parades in N.O. and surrounding area beginning on Jan. 6, which is the start of the season. N.O. parades are quite a sight, and something to experience, but it helps to have a native tell you how to get in and out and what to avoid so you're safe. We have a few parades in Baton Rouge that are no where near the scale of the N.O. parades, but they are plenty fun, and a whole lot more family-oriented. Besides, I have all the beads and other baubles to last me a lifetime, so I don't need to show nothin' to nobody

Tricia, thanks for the words of encouragement. Actually noted a small change on the scale this morning....at last! I know I'm not supposed to be so hung up about it, but it's so hard not to...

Curves and walking tomorrow! See y'all!
  • Good snowy afternoon ladies. Not looking good out there, came home early, after a near death experience trying to get to an appnt on time. Not worth it I said. Home and warm now. Thinking my aerobics class will be cancelled. Walking outside is out of the question. So, I guess it's time to get out that Pilates tape again. Gotta keep exercising, or i'll get lazy again. Skipped it yesterday. Pray fro my aunt, she's still in this breast cancer thing... praying for strength.. although she's acting like she's fine.. it's us that are a mess.

Walk on, if you can.

• I dunno, SC, walking in the snow is darn good exercise when there's a few inches on the ground. Makes me sweat like a w in church! Also makes me jealous of Jasper's long legs--he's a Doberman, and like all of his breed, he doesn't have a lick of fat on him!
  • We've got a layer of ice underneath, and as funny as me and my little terrier would look sliding past a neighbors house... i'll brave my basement and a video... wish we had the pretty powder stuff. it's deceiving out here, wiht the bottom layer of blackice.
  • ooh, black ice! Stay away from that stuff! Can't blame you for not getting out. Icy sidewalks are very musical--if you don't c sharp, you'll b flat.
  • Very cute musical reference DawnStorm.

I went walking this evening with my 2 sisters and their 2 dogs. The little Jack Russell terrier (short-legged variety) came home with a belly covered with grime since it's been raining all day and it was really muddy out. No snow to speak of though .

Hope everyone stays safe through these bad weather spells. I'm enjoying the sunshine (not today though) and warmer temps for you all.
  • YAY!
    OOOOH!!!! I think i found a home!!! I've been trying to get back into walking after "wandering off the beaten path" I ran cross country in high school and was a size 4. Now i run my mouth only and am a size 14.

I have begun walking home from work. It's about a mile and a half, and i usually can make it in about 25 minutes. At first I thought i was going to die, but i just kept putting one foot in front of the other. I've made the trip 6 times now!!! And it gets a little easier each time. That's a total of 9 miles in a week!! If i start packing my lunch, then i could walk both ways. Right now i usually drive home for a quick bite to eat and have my fiance drive me back to work. Maybe i'll walk back from lunch today....

I can already tell a difference in my muscle tone and I have received compliments from my fiance about my progress. he's happy that I'm sticking with it.

Does any one else out there have trouble with shin splits? I always have had trouble with them, and they are really bad right now as i'm trying to get back into shape. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know

Ashley

167/162/125
  • Welcome Ashley, glad you could join us. I walk daily too but usually in the evenings with my husband or sister. I get shin splints every now and then, mostly when I take more than a day off then try to start up again. I recently started to stretch out more before going and if I can feel the ache in my shins before I even start, I put some Flexall or Ben-Gay type of gel on it. I think the stretching helps a lot. I sometimes take some ibuprofen before I go since I've been told by my Dr. that it also works as a muscle relaxant. These remedies work for me so far. I hate anything that slows me down when I'm so motivated to move! Good luck and keep walking.
  • Thanks. I'm gonna try the ibuprofen and more stretches. I walked back to work from lunch and had pains at the half mile, one mile, and 1.25 mile marks. Usually it'll subside while i'm walking, but it keeps flaring back up. Hopefully once i get some new shoes and put some more miles behind me, they won't bother me anymore.

The best thing that i've found thus far to keep me motivated is to put a little sticker on my calendar each day that i do something considered exercise: sit-ups, walking, jumping jacks, stretching, etc. When i walk both to and from work, i get 2 stickers. Just about anything counts, but it helps me to see that i can stick to something. In all of January there are 4 days without stickers. That's not too bad considering what my previous activity level was.

Ashley
  • A Little Birdie Told me...
    It's DawnStorm's Birthday today.

Happy Birthday to you and many, many more!!!

• Hello Everyone !!! It sounds like everyone is doing great! I have been doing my walking every morning and evening I think this will be the first week that I have ever walked everyday. Today will be easy but Sat and Sun will be the real test. I started at 197 and am currently at 193 so it is taking a little longer than I want but oh well. Yesterday was tough, my boss brought chocolate fudge w/ nuts to work and then to top it off my uncle brought us some peanut butter fudge. Yes I did have a little of both
    I walk all my miles on the treadmill, any ideas on how to get my husband to walk outside with me.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL & HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Laurie
    SW 197
    CW 193
    GW 150
  • Don't feel so bad Smileybug--yesterday was my birthday, and much to my surprise my mom baked a cake. Well of course I had to have some, but between my husband and I that sucker will be gone by the end of the the weekend. Know what my doctor said about diets? Will you cheat occassionally? Sure! Just get right back on it! Besides I think that if someone offers food to you, you should take some unless you're allergic to it, or it's against your religion. To refuse just because you're on a diet is rude IMO. How much you take is up to you!
  • Well, I walked 3 miles yesterday and i plan on doing the same today. I enjoy the quiet time to unwind and think by myself before i get home and start spending time with my fiance and my puppy. On the way home yesterday I stopped by a bridal accessories shop to look and get some ideas. It was a nice (nonfood) way to treat myself for sticking with the walking.

The only problem i'm really noticing right now (in addition to the shin problems) is that my legs aren't getting slimmer evenly. I'm trying to see about "wiggling" my other foot in order to target that side now. That's what made me start slimming on the first side anyway. Any other suggestions or ideas? Anyone else having this trouble?

I am investing in new walking shoes this next payday. I haven't figured out how that will fit into the budget just yet, but it qualifies as a necessity. Besides, it's time that I spend some money on me for me. I'm ready for this treat

Ashley
  • Sorry I've missed the birthdays.
  • OOPS. Clicked before I was ready. Anyway, congrats to the ladies who gracefullly usher in another year. I haven't walked ina couple days. Work kept me late last night, even after I had eaten my way through town, I still didn't come home and walk. I swore I'd do that too. Today is another day, and in my journal, i've decided not to dwell. I will exercise today, and I will be good today. And, I will take that walk, because I need to keep up with my personal goals... to move my body more than I eat... is that possible? What a challenge.