Saved by Chickpeas tomato chicken stew

• This is a little recipe i concocted randomly out of my head tonite as i was struggling to think of what to do for dinner with limited ingredients..So here it is..

1 can of Tomato Sauce (no sugar added)
    3 Chicken Breasts
    1 Can of sliced mushrooms(drained)
    1 can of Garbanzo beans(Chickpeas)(drained)
    Italian Seasoning to taste
    Salt and Pepper-A dash
    2 Cloves of Garlic or 1tbsp of Minced garlic
    1/2 cup low fat cream cheese
    1 cup of water

Simply, cut up chicken breast into chuncks and cook in frying pan in 1tsp of oil and a little water, till cooked through. Add can of tomato sauce, add can of mushrooms and add can of garbanzo beans(chickpeas) to pan of chicken. Add in salt and pepper and dash of italian seasoning. Add garlic and 1 cup of water...bring to medium high heat till just boiling. Add in low fat cream cheese and stir till melted in.. Simmer for five minutes prior to serving.

Serves: 4 (depending on the ratio of sauce and veggies and beans)
  • that sounds like something i would make too. good for you! i love chick peas. most of us aren't eating enough beans. i keep telling my kids, they are a super food .
  • Laughing Cow cheese works well in this and is SBD approved. Cream cheese is to be used sparingly and must be at-free or light - 2 TBS per serving.
  • i dont know how much cream cheese would be in one serving..people might be better off adding 1tbsp of low fat cream cheese into there serving instead of into the whole meal, just to be safe..I cant actually find laughing cow cheese in are grocery stores...Why is it the Americans have all the good stuff? Send us Canadians some better stuff over here..cause we need your better food..lol
  • Hey! We do have Laughing Cow here too. I know there are several grocery stores in Port Hardy? Perhaps you could phone around. Otherwise, I'd just use the cream cheese sparingly.
  • Lol..Ruth we only have 1 grocery store in Port Hardy, but your right..we do have laughing cow, just bought some tonite. I was mistaken because i was looking in the dairy section for it instead of the Deli section where the special cheeses were..How much can you have of laughing cow cheese a day?
  • I am going home and making this tonight! Sounds wonderful~