Power Outage and Staying on Plan?

• Kind of long but there is a question at the end!
    I'm in the DC area and on wedneday we had a little bit of a snow/ice storm which knocked out power lines all over. The power went out right around 7:30 pm so I'd already eaten all my "cooked" food for the day, I was just looking forward to some frozen grapes a little later.
    When I woke up I discovered the power was still off and my first thought, what am I gonna eat? I eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies but I love boiled eggs with a toasted whole wheat breakfast muffin, baked oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, and some other things that have to be cooked and I have electric everything.
    Besides that, the streets were a mess and my little mustang wasnt gonna be going anywhere, (she refuses to move on snow and ice)
    I did pretty well eating things that didnt require cooking, and even found a little camping stove to boil water for pasta. Luckily the power came back on around 8pm
    I felt quite resourceful, like a pioneer haha The only problem is that I only consumed about 1000 calories yesterday Should I eat more today to "make up" for it or just forget about it?
  • I'm in your area! How cool.
    It is hard to stay on plan when something like that happens. You panic and eat the easiest thing possible or nothing at all.

If I was in your situation I would try to eat the higher end of my calorie intake but do it with fruits and veggies.
  • Thats what I was thinking. I don't normally "carry over calories" but I know it works for some people. And yes! my whole family was trekking out to go eat at whatever was open lol I stayed in and ate on plan
    and Heyyy! NoVa! I'm going to assume you have power, since you're posting lol
  • I wouldn't carry over calories. I'd just call it a day (as far as yesterday) and go back to the original plan today.
  • I wouldn't try to make up the calories, but I agree about eating at the higher end of your range today if you are hungrier.

More important is - what is your plan for next time? Make a "power out kit" with foods that can be eaten uncooked - tuna, canned veggies, bread stored in the freezer that can be thawed if power goes out, peanut butter and jelly, etc.

We have had quite a few storms lately, so I always make sure there's enough stuff to be eaten if there's no power.
  • I do have power but it's snowing again here near Occoquan! I should probably go out and buy a normal can opener in case we lose power, the electric can opener doesn't get me very far lol
  • yeah its snowing here again too. Its supposed to stop soon, lets hope so! lol and yeah I dug my car out but the plows havent been by here.
    Oh winter how I dislike you!