Poll: What type PCOS patient are you?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
View Poll Results: What type patient are you?
traditional PCOS -- anovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance
19.37%
syndrome X -- anovulatory, increased androgens, insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes
26.35%
non-traditional PCOS --anovulatory, normal androgens, obese, insulin resistant or type 2 diabetes
14.29%
non-traditional PCOS -- ovulatory, increased androgens, mild insulin resistance
19.05%
idiopathic hirsutism -- ovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance
3.49%
Not sure -- but think I have PCOS or IR
10.16%
Don't have PCOS. I am Insulin Resistance (pre-diabetes)
2.86%
Other (What is it?)
4.44%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just curious... what type PCOS patient are you? Or IR person? Or...?

Did you even know PCOS can present in at least 5 different types?

I am new to making polls... so bear with me!

And I'm a PCOS/IR/Syndrome X'er.

A.
  • traditional PCOS, cross your fingers, fasting blood sugar 76
  • I used to be the "traditional PCOS" but am now "syndrome X". Might have been something else before too.

I've had PCOS for so long, I think I may gone through each of the phases!!!
  • I don't know about my androgens, but I assume they're normal so I chose non-traditional with anovulatory and IR. However, with weight loss, I do not have either symptom now.
  • I'm not sure if I'd be classified as IR, I'm definitely sensitive to insulin and I also can be hypoglycemic. So I'm either traditional PCOS or Syndrome X.
  • Pretty sure I am X, but I am not sure if I am IR or not. But everything else fits....CD 50+ today.... :P
  • Traditional PCOS
  • well im still in the process of finding out my ultra sound said i had two bulky ovaries which suggests pcos but my doctor thinks i may have endimitriosis aswell so i am waiting to hear off the consultant now xxx
  • I think I'm syndrome x but not sure about my androgen levels currently.
  • I would say Syndrome X, except that comes with another whole set of requirements about high blood pressure, and a lipid panel with high LDLs and low HDLs. Since those are okay, I went with non-traditional PCOS, with obesity and IR. I believe I have elevated androgens (some facial hair and acne), but it hasn't been confirmed. So non-traditional it is.
  • Traditional
    I am a traditional PCOS patient. Amazingly, my fasting blood sugar hovers at or slightly above 70. This is a shock considering how rampantly diabetes runs on both sides of my family. So no insulin issues here and hopefully I can keep it that way. I don't ovulate on my own though and if I don't take BCP's I will have 2 weeks long periods ughh.
  • bump
  • It's been sooo long since I haven't been on birth control I'm not sure if I would have a period or not. I haven't had any cysts in YEARS. Facial hair is no longer a problem. I think I'm leaning more towards syndrome x these days...that said I've been an exercising machine lately and along with my supplements I've been feeling pretty optimistic that I can beat this!
  • I'm anovulatory and obese. My hormone test came back normal, but I have excess hair. My bloodwork is good (except for vit D deficiency) with LDL and cholesterol below the recommended range and glucose within the normal range. My HDL is just above 40, but I want to raise it. I'm unsure about insulin resistance.

I haven't lost enough weight yet for it to affect my PCOS. Gotta keep truckin'!
  • I believe that I'm a either a Syndrome X-er, or a non-traditional PCOS patient. I'm anovulatory, obese, insulin-resistant, and definitely have traits that would suggest increased androgens. Haven't had anything tested yet though.