Tried a Protein Shake??

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, today after my workout in The gym, I went to their store and had intentions on buying a water and a fruit. Well, Mr. Cashier aka Mr. Personal Trainer told me how I burned all of my proteins and how I should have a protein shake. I said what the heck, lets try it -- I went for the Tango Mango shake with Strawberry type of protein (well thats the flavor I wanted I guess) @ $5.99, and a Medium size drink, I must say that it was disgusting!! I could not even get myself to take more than 5 sips!! I don't understand what went wrong ....

Ugh bad experience and will never drink another protein shake ;; oh yeah I wasted $6 lol
  • Did he really say you burned proteins? He's definitely preying on you then

But yes most protein shakes are not great tasting, personally I use a natural vanilla flavour one and mix it with fruit, milk, and greek yogurt
  • Like sacha said, if you buy a container of protein powder and mix it at home with fresh berries, yogurt, skim milk, almond milk, etc it probably tastes a lot better, and ends up being a lot cheaper! A lot of protein powders, especially the better brands, are expensive but worth it if you want to drink them often.
  • Sacha, thanks for telling me that because Mr. Personal Trainer will not get the satisfaction of preying on me again I don't really plan on messing with protein powders well atleast not at this moment.

Linsy, I would probably mess up the ingredients and then would be upset if it didnt taste good lol, thank you for your advice
  • Quote: Sacha, thanks for telling me that because Mr. Personal Trainer will not get the satisfaction of preying on me again I don't really plan on messing with protein powders well atleast not at this moment.

Linsy, I would probably mess up the ingredients and then would be upset if it didnt taste good lol, thank you for your advice
    A cup of milk of your choice, two scoops of vanilla protein powder, a tablespoon of flax seeds, and a cup of frozen fruits and berries of your choice--I usually use a little more fruit, but it's your call. Toss it in the blender, and blend until creamy.
  • Wonder if he made a commission...lol

I make a shake at least once per week. I keep frozen berries handy (I buy em from Costco); they are easy to toss in along with milk, ice cubes, protein powder ( I like chocolate...yum) and banana...I am full for hours.

I also mix it as an afternoon snack for my very busy and athletic teenager kids. Keeps them going as well
  • Our gym hocks those nasty drinks too!

TRUST me! That's NOT what good protein drinks taste like. Listen to the other girls here. Use fresh fruits, milk or low fat yogurt (I prefer yogurt) and your own powder. The stuff they use at they gyms are usually mostly powdered flavor mixes. Very little, if any, real fruit goes into them which makes them taste awful. Heck, even the slimfast protein shakes taste better than that stuff!
  • I make my protein shake with orange juice and fresh strawberries =)
  • I prefer to eat my protein.
  • I drink a protein shake for breakfast called Lean Complete. I love the taste. It is a vanilla flavored powder and I shake it with 8 ounces of skim milk.
  • try those yoplait smoothies (theyre in the freezer section of the grocery store) and then start by just adding a little protein mix at a time. That way youre just using as much as you can handle.....annnd the yoplait smoothies are delicious
  • I just usually use chocolate flavored Gold Standard mixed with soy milk. It tastes like chocolate milk.

I also prefer to eat my protein, but I can't always get enough in.
  • I use Jay Robb protein powder from Whole Foods which is sweetened naturally (no sugar, stevia sweetened). I like the chocolate kind. I make it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a splash of heavy cream and a drop of peppermint extract. Tastes JUST LIKE a SHAMROCK SHAKE! My fave!
  • I cannot imagine a protein drink (if combined with fruit, as I assume yours was) tasting not good. I don't buy protein shakes at my gym because 1) they are quite pricey - probably around $7 these days, and they add fruit juice to them (in addition to frozen fruit). The size is humangous, probably close to Starbucks' new Trenta size. So I have no idea how many calories I am consuming (even though I am not counting calories) but I imagine it will be quite a lot. I make my own protein shakes at home for a fraction of the gym price.
  • My favorite protein shake recipe:

1 scoop choc protein powder
    6 ice cubes
    1/4 cup cottage cheese (yes, cottage cheese)
    most of a can of diet dr. pepper

I blend it up in the blender until it's a milkshake

And I know it sounds gross, but it tastes EXACTLY like a melty dr. pepper float.!!

Think about it, the cottage cheese is a dairy like the ice cream. I've never had anyone not like it.