Frustrated already.....

• So I am already frustrated and I'm not even a week into my weight loss journey.... The scale just isn't moving. I'm watching calories and exercising... I guess with age things slow down.... way down! I'm 28 with two wonderful boys that keep me busy but really need to shed 20-30 pounds! My goal in 130 and Im at 162 today... I think in HS I was around 135-140 and I was really tiny so as I get closer my goals may change...

I work at home so its easy to hop into the kitchen for a snack or somthing yummy.. We dont have much yummy in the house though... It's mostly healthy stuff. But anyways I am 5 days into my journey and the scale hasnt budged.... I am drinking water like crazy and trying to eat as healthy as I can. I walk on the treadmill at 4.2 mph for about 4 min and then move to 3.6 for a minute or two for 30+ minutes. Any ideas on how to jumpstart my weight loss a bit more??
  • Hi, do you know how many calories a day you eat. You can start by tracking your food to see were the calories are coming from.
  • You're not too overweight so that may be the reason.
  • I, too, had been watching my calories and exercising but the scale still didn't budge. When I switched up what I was eating (still same amount of calories, just different food), the weight started dropping fairly quickly. The fewer carbs, the better. I started getting most of my calories from lean protein and veggies and only 2 servings of carbs per day.
    After all, the body burns carbs first, protein second, and fat third. If you don't have lots of carbohydrates, your body relies on protein. If you're eating mostly protein, your body must use fat for fuel. The one thing to remember if you go high protein, though, is to LOAD UP ON WATER. I'm talking GOBS! Otherwise, a high protein diet can stress your liver. Oh, and you might get a bit...er...tied up, digestion-wise, so consider fiber supplements, too.
  • How many calories are you eating? Too few and I stall, but if I up them by 200 to 400 calories the weight come off easier. Also if you are eating foods with alot of sodium that can be holding the water and you won't see a drop on the scale.

Don't worry, you've just started!
  • Give it time. It's very common for people just starting out to lose very little for 3+ weeks, then experience a "whoosh". (Some people lose a lot of water the first week, then nothing, then get the whoosh, but the initial weight lost is just water, not fat.)

patience, grasshopper. Patience, and consistency.
  • You're not even done a week within your weight loss journey and you're expecting big numbers already...Thats the main reason why people fail. You have to remember what one person might see going on in one week will be completely different from you. I didn't start seeing results until a month into my journey and I had been working out and eating properly.

You're just starting out, if your expecting to drop weight fast and see unreasonable numbers this isn't going to go very far... This isn't a magic journey where you can snap your fingers and see results. My suggestion to you is take a breath and stop stepping on the scale everyday. (not all, but even my sister when she starts stressing about weight she gains...) I don't know what your eating or how many meals a day you eat but you need to make sure your body had the right amount of calories going in especially when you start working out.

It's not a race its a life long lesson and journey you are going to go through. Good luck to you.
  • I am expecting dropping something... not big numbers!
    I have been eating 5-6 times a day at about 250-300 cals per meal.....
    I get frustrated easily when I dont see results. 5 years ago I could exercise for a week and I would be back to normal! Darn metabolism! I am going to do a 30 Day Shred workout tonight instead of the treadmill and maybe incorporate that every other day and see if that helps... I'm just an inpatient person apparantly!
  • Like others have said, it's not even been a week yet. You need to give this time and just try to get over your impatience, you'll see results eventually. If you let yourself get frustrated this early on, it's going to be a lot harder to keep yourself motivated as time goes on. Just keep doing what you're doing, take a breather, and let the results come when they want to.
  • a friend of mine is currently doing weight watchers and has 25lbs to lose. she follows plan, exercises regularly, but it took her a good three weeks to see a difference on the scale. that's just how her body works. her body just needed some time to adjust and now she's steadily losing 1-1.5lbs per week, sometimes less if she has a few days off plan, or if its TOM. just keep doing what you have been, watch for any soduim, and keep hydrated.
    i feel you on the patience. but give it a few more days.
  • Please don't give up! You're off to a good start. Don't let the scale rule your weightloss journey. You have to be patient, and I am learning this as well. I know its hard, but try not looking at the scale for two weeks. That really helps.
  • Thanks ladies!!! I will keep it up!!! None of my pants that I wore just a few months ago fit and I refuse to buy new ones!

I am so glad I found this blog - everyone is sooo supportive and its great to see everyone reach their goals and find healthier lifestyles! So kudos to everyone here and Good Luck with your journey!!!
  • Quote: I have been eating 5-6 times a day at about 250-300 cals per meal.....
    I entered your stats into a BMR calculator, estimating your age at 25.
    Your BMR is 1550 calories.

So, if you're eating 6 times a day at 300calories per meal, you're getting 1800 calories. 5 times a day at 250 calories is 1250 calories a day. If you're averaging those two types of days, you're pretty much hitting your calorie limit to maintain. You might consider trying to keep your calories at the lower end OR increasing your exercise. You'll lose weight with those numbers, but it will be slow going.
  • Quote:
    I work at home so its easy to hop into the kitchen for a snack or somthing yummy.. We dont have much yummy in the house though... It's mostly healthy stuff.
    Maybe try to change this train of thought - just because it's healthy doesn't mean it can't be yummy! I also second what others are saying, just keep at it!