IP Daily Chat - Wed. 19 Jan. 2011

You're on Page 8 of 10
Go to
  • I hope it's ok to ask a few questions

When we weigh and measure our meat is it precooked or cooked weight?

Do we have to eat our 2 cups of veggies at lunch and 2 cups at supper. I am finding that if I do that and add lettuce I am having a hard time eating it all. I did eat it all but is it ok to spread it out a little just making sure we get 4 cups a day?

Can we use butter extract as a flavoring?

Day 2 just about over and I am still feeling pretty good!! I need to think about getting creative with the veggies before I get too bored. I have resigned myself to having a salad or 2 every day but would like something hot at dinner time. Eating a cold salad when it is 23 degrees outside is not so appetizing to me right now. Maybe that will change. Tonite I am having a grilled chicken breast with broccoli and cauliflower with soy sauce. That sounds yummy to me actually.

Thanks a bunch!!!
  • Quote: I'm 8 days into the program and I had my first WI today. I started at 327 and I'm down to 314 for a total of 13 lbs. My coach is super fired up but I'm staying reserved because I know it will taper off. I won't complain a bit if I can keep up a 1.5 lb loss per day!

Is it just me or does this diet strengthen your sense of smell? I can smell a cheeseburger from a mile away now
    13 pounds is awesome! Keep it up!
  • Quote: Weigh in #3 today! Down 6 pounds from last week, making a total of 15 in three weeks! It took me from July to December to lose 10! So my total loss is 25! Yeah, buddy!
    15 in three weekis is incredible! Great job!
  • Quote: thank you so much for saying this. for the last week and a half i could not understand why i am so cold all the time. my best pal said "oh, weird, your diet makes you cold", and i agreed but half joking. but it REALLY is making me cold. my hands are freezing all the time. it's 60 degrees in SF today, which is really really nice, but i keep standing in front of my heater! does the coldness ever end?
    Yes, always freezing. There is a very good explanation for it and it has something to do with the chemical process in your body. My hands are always like ice. I enjoy washing dishes now, just cause it warms my hands!

Quote: My neighbor gave me an elk roast. I have never had elk before so would I cook it like a normal roast? I am pretty sure I seen a recipe for a regular roast in the recipe thread but I thought I would check and see if that would work for this? Anyone have a IP friendly elk roast recipe?
    Cook it just as you would beef. I always use some beef broth and some garlic and salt and pepper. Mmmmmm, elk roast is so yummy.

Quote:
    NSV - so went to Old Navy today and they are having such great sales prices that I actually bought size 6 pants. They are a little snug right now but, hey, they were $7.00!!! I bought two new pair of size 6!! Wow, I never would have guessed I would be here in January!! Yay IPers!! It was so much fun shopping and the entire time I was thinking about all the times I was sweating and crying in dressing rooms across the land. I was thinking about putting some size labels from my new clothes on the pantry door as a reminder! Way more fun going down vs going up in sizes!! Good luck everyone!
    I did a bunch of shopping at Old Navy Online at the Boxing Day sale. I bought a couple of sweaters for $7. I spotted some jeans on the website today were on for $7 today. I am going to the city next week, I hope the sale is still on!

Quote: After a tough 2nd week, I am thrilled to say WI 2 was a surprise. I lost another 7 pounds. My 2 week total is.... 15 pounds! Are you kidding me??? All the times I joined WW I never had a 15 pound weight loss in 2 weeks. Do you see me doing the happy dance?
    Awesome W#2! WOWZERS

LINDEN - I think it was you that mentioned the inositol. I bought some today at the Health Food Store. Am gonna try it. I suffered from severe hair loss prior to starting the diet, and with IP, it has worsened. I used to have overly thick hair, and now have very very thin hair, I hope it helps! Have you had any of the side effects listed? I took one today already, and haven't noticed anything.

NSV - Last week I had tried on some shorts from 2 or 3 summers ago, while getting ready to pack for my trip and they were absolutely tight and 1 pair didn't even do up. I tried them on today, and TADA, they fit nicely, and look hot! YAY!
    I still am a long ways to those leather pants though and am worried I won't make my goal with the vacation in between. I can't believe I was that small. Yikes.
    I think my biggest problem is my thighs and my hips. I haven't lost much there and they are still pretty big. They seem to hinder my pants size!

I have also hit another goal that I set almost 2 years ago and never reached. My afternoon weight does not exceed the 160 mark! HA HA HA! I might even see the 140's before I leave if things keep moving and I hold strong. I have never felt more determined!!!!!!!!!!
  • Quote: I hope it's ok to ask a few questions

Do we have to eat our 2 cups of veggies at lunch and 2 cups at supper. I am finding that if I do that and add lettuce I am having a hard time eating it all. I did eat it all but is it ok to spread it out a little just making sure we get 4 cups a day?

Day 2 just about over and I am still feeling pretty good!! I need to think about getting creative with the veggies before I get too bored. I have resigned myself to having a salad or 2 every day but would like something hot at dinner time. Eating a cold salad when it is 23 degrees outside is not so appetizing to me right now. Maybe that will change. Tonite I am having a grilled chicken breast with broccoli and cauliflower with soy sauce. That sounds yummy to me actually.

Thanks a bunch!!!
    Hello - I'm new to this IP Diet as well! I weigh-in to end my 2nd week tomorrow morning! I can't answer all of your questions but I will try to help best I can. My coach said to try and get the 2 cups of veggies in at your meals the best you can - this helps you feel full longer b/c of the fiber. I try to get it all in the best I can but I have days like you where I'm full up and it's tough! She also said you can use the butter spray, but check the back of the bottle for ingredients, she didn't specify a brand and I haven't needed it as of yet! I did use some buffalo style chicken sauce on my 5 oz of chick and made a buffalo chicken salad! That was a nice switch if you're ever bored with the salad at supper/dinner time. It's zero here today so I can totally relate to what you're saying about the lettuce at supper time!

Anyway - good luck and keep up the good work! It gets easier.
  • Quote: Good morning everyone!!! ... I had my WI yesterday, lost 1 more lb. Can't wait for next weeks WI!!! I haven't been in the 150s since, who knows, I can't remember.

My coach was telling me that one of the women in the program told her yesterday that, even though she has lost 25 lbs, she just can't do it and is quitting!!!! I told my coach to call her and tell her about this forum and to NOT GIVE UP!!!! The coach says that she cheats a lot, and doesn't follow the protocol. I hope they call her and tell her to come in here and read everyone's successes, and hiccups, and she'll see that she's not alone and she can do it.

Carla.....I read in one of your posts yesterday that we aren't supposed to be drinking the blueberry drink packet more than 3x a week. Is that all the time, or just the first couple of weeks? I really enjoy the flavor and I usually have that for my 2nd packet at least 5x a week.

NSV for me....my doctor took me completely off of my blood pressure medicine!!! He cut my dose in half a little over a week ago, and that first weekend at half dose my blood pressure was 104-108 over 72-75, so he told me to stop taking it. I'm monitoring it daily and will report back to him should it start elevating. As of right now, it's averaging out at 110/73.

I hope everyone has a great day today.
    Congratulations on the loss and the NSV. I am so happy for you to see all of the physical changes and better health.

It really is sad but, many coaches don't like the idea of their clients coming on this forum. They worry about negativity, misinformation, and people being told how to cheat or how to use alternate products. Remember, most of them only get paid based on the profits from the food and not from consulting fees so some don't want to coach those who learn about alternate products. Also, people who are on this forum tend to ask more questions than some coaches can answer or want to answer. They don't like having to justify why they gave some bit of advice. I have had a few coaches tell me they didn't really think it was necessary for us to be online. Sad, isn't it.

We really do need the support. The recipes and the motivation are great but, knowing you are going through and sharing experiences with a large group of people in the similar experience is reassuring, IMHO.

Fortunately, there are many other coaches who are very supportive of the forum and even direct their clients to this link. That is a great thing!

Like someone said, if you aren't getting the coaching you need that works best for you, try to find a new coach.

Quote: Congrats to all who are having their successes today!

ok, for once and for all.........I was just told from a friend who is taking 'IP coach training"....... NO snacking inbetween meals... after the first couple of weeks. I am at 5.5 mths into this..........and we have discussed a lot about hunger and cravings.... mine was the dreaded peanut butter... STOPPED that...so i asked the question here re: egg whites... the mix i use is 0/0/1. 30 calories. I eat at like 0630 - 7am in the morning (IP product) so by 10 or 1030 I am hungry! so have started to take the egg whites. NOW i am told that its wrong!!!!!! Carla and friends.... can you shed light on this once and for all? I dont want to be screwing up my progress..... or messing with the IP to the point of no success. Thanks to everyone
    I answered this on your PM. Congrats on the control over the PB. It really does some people in.

Quote: Good morning all fellow IP'ers. I have a NSV, this morning I was able to comfortably fit into size 40 jeans from size 42 and I am now on the last hole on my belt. Felt nice to see some shrinkage. It is incredible, I am only 10 days into the program and will have my second WI tomorrow.

Keep up the good work all. Have a great day.
    That is great!! You guys change so quickly on this plan. It is almost like is was perfectly design for ya'll.

Quote: Good Morning! I am very happy today. I have lost about 15 pounds in the last 3 weeks. Tomorrow I have WI#3. I can't wait to see how many inches I have lost !!
    I really hope I can get almost all my excess weight off my Feb 16, I am going to visit family in TX and it is going to be very hard to be eating with all my family (all they cook is Mexican Food) and having to just keep eating the packets, at least, if I am in phase 2 then I can eat two "regular meals" and then just breakfast and the snack is going to be with the IP Packets. Also, Phase 2 will be a lot easier if we go out to lunch or dinner.
    We will see, I still have a month to loose some more pounds. I am able to exercise now but I am a little scared that my weight loss will slow down. What do you guys think? Are you exercising? Has your weight loss slow down?
    That is a FABULOUS start!! I know it is hard when we are with family. As you say, being in phase 2 will help. I actually enjoy eating Mexican food. I find I can do some versions of juevos rancheros, pescado vera cruz, carnitas, some chile verde, some machaca, fajitas, and some chili if no beans. I do tacos but use a lettuce cup or cabbage cup (if fish) as the shell. I do the same for the fajitas. I love my sister's calabasitas recipe. The blend of broth and zuchinni squash are good. I also like her albondigas (she doesn't use rice or carrots when she makes it for me). I still like posole but, I have to pick around the hominy/corn. I have a recipe for napolitos and red snapper that only has 4g carbs. I know, if you look for it, plan for it, and ask your family to teach you how, there are many wonderful Mexican dishes that are low in fat/lard, don't use much maize or starches, and are reduced in fat. If you love Mexican foods, ask your mom now to try and help you find recipes you can use going forward in phase3 (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and phase 4. It could be a fun experience for both of you.

Quote: I've starting exercising, but I don't think I'd notice a difference in the weight loss. I seem to be in the "slow loser club" now

15 lbs in 3 weeks is awesome!!! Good for you!!!!
    Remember the fable of the tortoise and the hare? The tortoise was slow but steady and he won the race. It is ok to be a slow loser. You are within 20 pounds of your goal, you are losing a good percentage of body weight each week and, you will be able to keep this off long term.

Also, about the blueberry pom drink and jello. Three times a week is all the time. You can use it as often as you want but, on the other 4 days a week it should be as an extra packet or pack four.

Quote: Decided this morning to put the scale away and weigh only at my offical weigh ins. I'm thinking it is playing mind games with me. I'm also going to add more daily water to kick these last pounds off. Start measuring exactly also. Maybe even get onto the exercise bike that has been collecting dust in my kitchen. It's been pure ice outside so no walks. We're headed to Phoenix in Feb for a months stay and so hope to be at goal before we go. Looking forward to sunshine and being able to walk without a snowsuit on.

Have a great day everyone.
    Definitely boost the water just remember to drink in in quantities of 12oz or less at a time to get the most benefit from it. Too much just gets peed out. Also, exercise slowly. Yes, get moving it will help your body dip into more fat for the added calories needed but, do not over exert or you can have a negative impact. A nice slow ride or walk for about 45 min is plenty!

Quote: Good Morning all.... Just wanting to report that I have moved into phase II, and after being stalled for a week or so the scale has moved down a pound a day..... wooww... I Love this diet!...

That is great! The patience really does pay off!

Quote: GOOD MORNING!!!!

I wanted to start off by saying that I LOVE reading the posts!!! It gives me so much motivation to go through my day!
    So a big to everyone!!!

I also wanted to say thank you to Carla for yesterday's reply on the soup!!!
    I will absolutely try that over the weekend at the cottage!

I know I can do this diet ONCE AND FOR ALL instead of wasting my money and starting over every time and I am GLAD that I am doing it that way this time!

This week is a little harder because I am tight on money...my paychek didn't go in they were having problems in HR and now I can't go do my groceries for the week!!! So hopefuly I will be able to find healthy alternatives for lunch at work...
    Isn't it great to have a place that just fits your needs!

You are welcome! It wasn't much in form of a recipe just my "kitchen soup" thing. I call it that because whatever is in the kitchen that is on that list, may be in my soup.

You can substitute low sodium lower carb chicken, beef or veg broth or stock and water to make up the volume if you don't have time to make your own broth or stock.

Oh no! Sorry to hear the grocery issue this week. What kind of options do you have to choose from at work? Do you ever pack a lunch? You could do canned tuna (often on sale) or tilapia (sometimes only 3.00 a pound) or egg whites to get protein at lunch.

Quote: ...
    I got a sheet from my clinic telling me the carb amounts in each vegetable and she did mention staying within 20-25 carbs a day. So i am just gonna see what I can do about that...maybe i was going over and didn't realize. Plus will probably keep me more accountable with measuring my vegetables and getting them all in.
    I am worried that I am going to become a 2 pound a week loser. I know this is still very good especially if it is consistent...BUT my dad is paying for this program and I mentioned that it may take longer than two months to get to goal and he said that after 2 months i should know enough that I can do it on my own without paying for their food. *insert panic attack here*
    I'm gonna try not to future trip too much about it though at this point. He also said that I need to get on my ellyptical or i wont see big losses either. But again I have read so many times that people slow down in their loss which i just think is an oxymoron. ...

Good luck to everyone today have an AMAZING IP DAY!!!
    It is very easy to go over 25 carbs a day if you aren't counting net carbs. It is also easy to go over if you using much powdered garlic in your cooking, cooked spinach, cooked broccoli/cauliflower, cooked mushrooms. All of those add carbs. Tomatoes and onions will also bump carbs.

To get in all your veggies, do the IP packets and stay under 25 REAL carbs a day you have to eat a large quantity of raw foods, and many, many cups of greens and lettuce. Almost no stalk or root vegetables or flowering veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus) and no fruit (tomatoe) and little bell pepper can be in the diet.

It can be done. MANY of us have done it. As a nice side note, if you have any hard to lose places (love handles, thighs) or cellulite you'll be surprised just how much and how quickly that changes.

Don't worry about being a 2 pound a week loser. We often get what we think or worry about. Think only about reaching your goal. You will get that. You can only do your best. Stress will not help you. If the time comes you have to find an alternate way to do this, we can help you find some suggestions/options to consider. Until then focus on getting the greatest success out of your efforts now. Adding exercise will not hurt you. Adding to much or too aggressive an elliptical workout will. Try just walking. One of our best losers on her walked 3-4 miles a day 5 to 6 days a week. She lost 100 pounds under 5 months. I truly believe just some nice, regular, easy exercise will give you a great boost.

Quote: So Happy! Weigh in #19 puts me into ONEderland!!! I had a loss of 5.4lbs today for a grand total of 69.3lbs. I am currently doing a happy dance

You made ONEDERLAND!!! Gotta love that moment!!

Quote: For ShowgirlAZ - Carla

Have not been here for the past few days but did read that you are back for another round in your weight loss journey....just take all the help you have given the rest of us and turn it back on you.

There is No Way knowing what you do about this journey, that you can't succeed...If any of us here can help you we will surely do it. I'm slowly making my way back into that "focused cocoon" where no one... and nothing can cause a misstep. Is it easy? No, but to paraphrase Jordana, "I can't lose (pick a number) pounds but I can lose 10 lbs several times. It still rings in my ears.

Get thru the first week and smooth sailing is ahead!!!!

Marilyn
    Thanks Marilyn! Yes, Round two! Last time I managed to get to 90 pounds off. I went up 12 while on break. Now, I am trying to get down 45. I will be a bit under 130 when I am done. I have tried to restart a few times since November; I just couldn't make it stick and had issues from day one. I decided a week ago I felt ready for another round and I am committed to finishing it this time! Day one was great! Day two was also wonderful. Unfortunately, it ended with TOM which, explains some of my day two weight gain. As of today, day 3, I am down 3 pounds from day 1 and down 5.5 pounds from yesterday (all fluid). I am still waiting for ketosis. Hopefully, that will be tomorrow or friday.

My biggest fear during break was restarting and it not working this time or, my going back through all the side effects. My coach suggested not going as low carb this time as last time and, maybe, I won't see as many of the side effects. OR, maybe, I got through what I needed to and it can just be a part of the past.

I am feeling very comfortable, happy, and focused in my commitment to do this right now and to the end!

I agree! Like Jordanna, I took it in 15 pound increments. This time I am doing the same thing. I only have to lose 15 pounds 3x and I am into maintenance for good!

Thank you so much for your reassurance. It means so much. I really appreciate hearing it from all those who are committed and doing this and those who proved it can be done, like yourself!

Quote: I must confess I have been lurking this week! Everyone does such a great job congratulating each other I feel like saying ditto for every post! WI #3 was Monday and I lost 4 more of those pesky boogers!!! YEAH ME! So excited. People are starting to notice the difference and my clothes are getting baggy! Can't believe it! I feel like I have found the elusive and mythical fountain of youth! Took long enough! But now I will forever know the secret! Congrats to all of us for great losses and NSVs. And thanks to all who share their ups and downs (and very motivating pictures!). Nice to know I am not alone on this crazy adventure! Oh yeah... and I got my ticker... guess I am not a newbie anymore! LOL.
    4 pounds!!! You had a great week and weigh in! I bet you were excited! Isn't it just the best affirmation when people start commenting on your results! I couldn't help but feel excited and proud.

Quote: Hope everyone has a fantastic day. Day three and I am feeling great. No headache, no cravings so far, and lots of energy. Congrats to all of you that have lost and can't wait to see all of the losses today.

Question: Has anyone ever had there Jello not set up? Night before last I made it just like instructed and put it in the fridge.....nothing. Made it last night and put it in the freezer and still nothing. I don't mind drinking it but I kinda miss the jello. Hmmmmm......thoughts???

Thought this was a good quote
    "Make your life a mission--not an intermission." – Glasgow

Sheila
    I am glad you are feeling good on day 3. I am right there with you! I can't wait for us to post our first week results next week! I haven't yet had a problem with the jello. I know normal jello can take up to 4 hours to gel. I also know you can do a quick set method with Ice. I wonder if that would help in this situation?

Quote: Thank you. Thanks also for the different use of the WF Ceasar. It is really the only one I can tolerate by itself and have a full bottle of ranch and honey dijon to do something with.

I would have to say that I am an over watcher and weigher at this point. I weigh myself 3 times a day....I know that is crazy right?! I am sure it will tapper off. I do a first thing weigh, after I get off work and home, and then weigh right before bed. First time in my days on IP which is 10, that the scale has not shown a decrease. Not worried though.
    My boyfriend is doing the alternate form of IP. He doesn't want to do all the packets but, is ok if I serve him up a protein drink. Anyway, he has lost about 68 pounds in since Nov 1 and like you, he weighs multiple times a day. I don't know how many times I hear "it went up!", "it didn't change", "I am down (3, 4, or 5) pounds". He will fluctuate a lot during a day. He also had 3 weeks where he only lost 2 pounds a week but, he blew through his clothes like no tomorrow! The inches were just dropping off. He has about 20 pound left to go and he is still losing like he lost before. We are thinking he has about 4 weeks left.

Regarding the WF dressing, I used up my honey dijon as a marinade on chicken and then baked it and grilled it. (two separate times) I added some extra dijon and a tbsp of sugar free honey. I also added some extra salt and spices (can't remember which, it was just to my tastes). I thought it worked out well and I didn't have to waste the "sauce".

Quote: This diet and loosing weight has helped me to realize that I CAN be the fit young gal that I want to be! I have always wanted to do a triathlon and I have decided that this is the year! June 4th, 2011 is the date. ...
    Congratulations!! That is a wonderful goal!

Quote: Hello all, Have a great Day
    Hey Melissa! I hope you are doing great! I am sure Scentsy is keeping you busy. Thanks for giving us a shout out!

Quote: Oh no!! I was doing so well!!! I just realized I forgot my IP Lunch Packet in the kitchen this morning!! What do you guys think I should do for lunch? Should I eat some other protein( Chicken, Fish, Meat), or should I stick with just the big salad and veggies?
    I am so hungry and I don't want to go buy some other food that will make me loose focus.
    I like rondar's suggestion of keeping a packet or back up at your desk. I too keep one in my car and have my emergency pack in my handbag/shopping tote.

Quote: Hey all! Haven't been on here in awhile and just wanted to drop in and wish everyone a happy day!
    Hey Mimi!! I saw your pictures you last posted. You look AMAZING lady! How have you been? Did your honey do well on his exams? Did you guys celebrate and get some time when things settled down?

Quote: I am happy to report that I made it thru day 1 of my IP journey. Did have a headache last night so I did the salt water thing and went to bed. This morning I feel pretty good so far and am still on track!! It is such a motivation boost to read this forum every morning!! Thank you everyone!!
    Wonderful! Sometimes all you can do is go to bed early. It isn't a bad thing. Our bodies real need the rest to heal and to lose weight so, you did yourself a favor!

Quote: Ok, here I go, IPers....I'm going to change my goal to 125. 125!!! It almost feels, I don't know, cocky, ya know? But I'm going to take the plunge!!! 125 here I come!!!
    Way to go!! I am sure you can do it. Only 7 pounds left!!

Quote: .. Made it to weigh-in today despite the icy mess outside......

Week #8...down 4lbs !! YAY !!! I have revised my 'goal' wt now that I have hit my 1st goal !!
    I got measured as well, and although I forget all the numbers, I have evenly lost inches everywhere !!

Congrads on all the great losses and NSV's !!! HAVE A GREAT DAY !!!!
    WONDERFUL! I am so happy you are seeing the results in inches and pounds. The nice thing is you aren't just losing superficial fat, you are losing fat within in the muscles. That is part of why we shrink so well.

Quote: That is awesome! Im new to IP, and was wondering do you eat the same food everyday, or do you switch it up? thanks for the help
    I switch it up. I would get too bored eating the same thing. Others have had the same things day after day and it worked. SO, do what works for you. We have a thread for our daily journal and it could give you some ideas too! Check out the new thread today about a typical day, in one of the posts you can also see the link to the daily journal.
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...look-like.html

Quote: I pounded out the chicken breast thin - add a pinch of truffle sea salt and pepper to each - spread on the pesto mixture and added a bit more whole leaf spinach, fresh basil and mushrooms - I baked them for about 20 minutes (I pound them out thin and don't roll them tight) In the meantime I soaked some dried porcini mushrooms in warm water. As I was waiting for the chicken to finish I sauteed the rehydrated porcini mushrooms along with some additional mushrooms - when the chicken was finished and resting I deglazed the baking pan with the mushroom juice (from the now re-hydrated porcinis)and added it to sauteed mushrooms - to thicken the mushroom sauce I added pureed roast turnips. I spooned the mushroom sauce over the chicken breasts and sprinkled them with a few of the BBQ soy nuts that I pounded into crumbs (like a bread crumb crust only IP friendly - and I only used 20 nuts for 3 portions) It was delicious and most importantly it was satisfying - I find I want to snack less at night if I eat a satisfying dinner.

I thought about posting some of these recipes in the recipe thread but I find that sometimes a bit overwhelming
    Definitely add it to the recipes!! This sounds great! Just copy and paste it in there if it is easier than re-typing.

Quote: I was wondering, where do you get the motivation to do the diet?
    Is it a before picture, a future vacation, health issues, because you want to feel good about yourself?!

I try to imagine myself thin and it works! But I think I need more than just that to keep me going...not that I want to quit or anything because I would ***hate*** myself for SURE.

So what helps you keep on going everyday and choosing certain things over something else???
    My motivation came from years of saying "I wish I knew." I now know. I have wanted so badly to be thin and now I can. I have no excuses and only me standing in my way.

I gave myself little rewards along the way and that kept me going.

I took out my smallest clothes and tried them on once a week. That wasn't really enough because I completely skipped size 14! I weighed one week and it was just too much too tight. The following 2 weeks I blew past and when I tried them on, they looked like sacks!

This time, I have a picture of what I want to look like. I also have a picture of what I had let myself become (not who I really am). I keep reminding myself of which picture I deserve to be seen as.

Quote: Mushrooms and I don't get along, but the rest of it sounds yummy. I'll have to experiment and see what I can do. Thank you!!!!! If you have any other recipes, you can always send me a private msg. I'm always looking for other things that I can cook on the weekends. My BF isn't on this diet, (or any diet) so it can be a bit challenging. He's pretty good with trying new things that I can have, I must say.

I don't remember seeing an answer to a question I had. Are the Southwest Cheese Curl snacks from IP not available at all anymore? Has anyone found out?
    You could try to do another sauce. Maybe a lemon garlic sauce would be nice.

The cheese curls are no longer able to be ordered. If clinics have them, that's it for now.

Quote: Hi all!
    Hope everyone is having a great day! I am 2 days from WI and down 3 pounds this week already! I am pretty stoked about that.
    I started Phase 2 this week, and will start Phase 3 on Monday. I am phasing off before my vacation, as I don't want to get sick when I'm away, and anytime I have overindulged, I get very nauseous and ill. Not the way I wanna spend my vacay! I am losing like hotcakes on Phase 2, so this is good. Maybe I will hit 10 pounds before I leave instead of 5!
    I am posting a picture that I took this morning, only because I only have my skivvie pics on the mini goal! LOL!
    Thanks for the new picture. You are looking so GREAT!!! I am sure you will have such a good time on your trip. More energy, great looks, and new clothes! That all sounds like the start of fun!

Quote: Isn't it a great feeling! That's so awesome! I just bought a new pair of pants last night, and I bought them in the normal size people section!
    Congratulations!! I bet you had the biggest smile on your face and were full of excitement.

Quote: I'm 8 days into the program and I had my first WI today. I started at 327 and I'm down to 314 for a total of 13 lbs. My coach is super fired up but I'm staying reserved because I know it will taper off. I won't complain a bit if I can keep up a 1.5 lb loss per day!

Is it just me or does this diet strengthen your sense of smell? I can smell a cheeseburger from a mile away now
    That is an amazing week 1 weigh in!! Congratulations!!

This diet definitely made my sense of smell sharper. I remember sitting in the airport and smelling cookies baking from 2 football fields away!

Quote: Weigh in #3 today! Down 6 pounds from last week, making a total of 15 in three weeks! It took me from July to December to lose 10! So my total loss is 25! Yeah, buddy!
    6 pounds!! Jolie, you must be doing something right! No wonder your shorts feel off you!

Quote: I know it was asked in other treads, but I didn't see an answer.. How exactly will you know when you enter ketosis???
    It is a bit different for each of us. It might be the taste in your mouth changes and becomes metallic, you have a funny breath or body odor, you have more energy, you are very thirsty, you pee a lot, your skin is drier and your finger tips seem to lose their oils (not pick up paper easily). Below is an article from the Atkins site that give some signs.

What are the physical signs of being in ketosis?

Ketone breath
    , which imparts a sweetish smell, does not cause bad breath so much as a different breath odor. In any case, this condition is likely to last only as long as you are doing the Induction phase of Atkins. Try drinking more water, and remember this is a great sign you are changing your metabolism, burning fat and just your body letting you know!!!

Lipolysis, the process during which your body primarily burns fat as fuel rather than glucose, causes ketosis, which in turn generates ketones, the by-products of fat breakdown. During ketosis, ketones are released in your breath and your urine.

As long as you drink enough water, the bad breath caused by ketosis usually lasts only a few weeks.

The Atkins Diet is a ketogenic diet and once your body's two-day supply of glycogen (stored glucose) is gone and your body starts to burn fat, the natural appetite suppressant side effect of lipolysis kicks!!! Believe it or not you may "forget" to eat a meal. But DO NOT do that. Never go six waking hours without eating.

Increased Energy!!! Once you have hit ketosis, usually on the third or fourth day you may get a huge burst in energy!!!!! During the first days of Induction, you may also experience a slight light-headedness and that is a point to remind you to eat your veggies as per the list of acceptable foods, to eat enough food and to drink your water!

Thirst. This ... is a natural diuretic. And what a great thing. ...

Different taste in your mouth
    . Some people call the taste sweet, others say it is "metallic". It is caused by your tongue tasting ketones in the saliva.

Different odor of your urine and/or sweat

Last edited by Georgiana; October 19th, 2009 at 02:27 AM. It may be edited out but, this post is from the atkins diet bulletin board. http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...g-ketosis.html

here is a link to our old discussion on the topic

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...t-ketosis.html
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-question.html

Quote: All right, so this is working just fine!

Today was weigh-in #3 down another 5lbs. Twenty-three pounds in three weeks works for me!

Ha, I qualified for my ticker in my signature too! So I'm feeling like part of the club.

I also found out, my coach told me in Maintenance it was required to splurge one day a week, followed by a Phase I day to shock the body some. She did say, "you may choose not to though" with kind of a look. So, I guess I don't have to completely say good-bye to somethings forever. Let's get to maintenance!
    That is great! I have always envied you guys the numbers you are able to post.

You definitely get to say "hello" again on an occasional basis to some old favorite things.

Quote: today's NSV - wearing jeans that i haven't been able to wear since august. they are a little light still, but i'm wearing them anyhow!! i am just elated that i could even get them over my hips!!
    Gotta love actually seeing the results of your efforts. I kind of marked my time/life by the clothes I had worn. As I got into (and outdated ) clothing I'd saved, it felt like going back in time and gaining back years.

Quote: thank you so much for saying this. for the last week and a half i could not understand why i am so cold all the time. my best pal said "oh, weird, your diet makes you cold", and i agreed but half joking. but it REALLY is making me cold. my hands are freezing all the time. it's 60 degrees in SF today, which is really really nice, but i keep standing in front of my heater! does the coldness ever end?
    I was/am always cold. I was able to get rid of that feeling only when I finally took a break from the program. I live in the desert and during the early summer, at 85 degrees outside, I was wearing long sleeves and sweaters. I never felt warm.

I am on day three now and last night, I had to wake up and put on warmer jammies. I was dreaming I was freezing and sitting outside in the snow in shorts and a tank top. All day today, once again, I am cold. It is DEFINITELY diet related.
  • Quote: My neighbor gave me an elk roast. I have never had elk before so would I cook it like a normal roast? I am pretty sure I seen a recipe for a regular roast in the recipe thread but I thought I would check and see if that would work for this? Anyone have a IP friendly elk roast recipe?
    Cook it like beef or maybe more like bison because it is leaner. Check out the links for more tips.

http://www.elkusa.com/elk_roasts.htm
    http://www.elk-hunting-tips.net/veni...st-recipe.html

Quote: NSV - so went to Old Navy today and they are having such great sales prices that I actually bought size 6 pants. They are a little snug right now but, hey, they were $7.00!!! I bought two new pair of size 6!! Wow, I never would have guessed I would be here in January!! Yay IPers!! It was so much fun shopping and the entire time I was thinking about all the times I was sweating and crying in dressing rooms across the land. I was thinking about putting some size labels from my new clothes on the pantry door as a reminder! Way more fun going down vs going up in sizes!! Good luck everyone!
    I like the idea of putting labels on the pantry!! I can also relate to crying in dressing rooms. Before it was because I was too big now, because I am so happy!

Quote: Have been struggling with cheating here and there but today at my weigh-in I found I lost 3 pounds and half an inch everywhere but my chest, and that my bp was 112/62. I've been on this diet just over 3 months (since October 15). As of today's weigh-in I've lost 42 pounds, 7 inches in my chest, 5 in my waist, 5 in my hips, 1.5 in my arms, and 2 in my thighs.
    That was quite a reward for sticking with it! Congratulations!

Quote: After a tough 2nd week, I am thrilled to say WI 2 was a surprise. I lost another 7 pounds. My 2 week total is.... 15 pounds! Are you kidding me??? All the times I joined WW I never had a 15 pound weight loss in 2 weeks. Do you see me doing the happy dance?
    7??? WOW!! I pray I have such a good week 2!

Quote: I hope it's ok to ask a few questions

Thanks a bunch!!!
    measure meats and veggies precooked. Leafy greens should be measured in a cup measure and not on a scale.

yes, we need all of our veggies. Missing a day may be fine but if done often and every week it is a problem. Our multi vitamin is designed to complement and complete the nutrition we get on the diet and those veggies are a big part.

Yes, you can use extracts if they are zero cal, zero carb, zero fat. If you are talking about something like vanilla extract in nature, it is fine IF you have a no/low carb version.

I agree about the cold veggies and salads. I cook my veggies, make them into soup, and even grill or broil my cabbage and lettuce just to get something warm.

I also do stirfry. Did you know you can make a sugar free terriyaki sauce? Authentic terriyaki is just sweet soy. I make mine using splenda, soy sauce, a little hot chili, ginger and garlic. Sometimes, I season the meat with sea salt, pepper and five spice , cook with veggies, then add the sauce over it and let simmer a few minutes. If you want it thicker, you can use arrow root powder to thicken the sauce.
  • Quote: Great work! Keep it up. Nice to see another male here in the group. Best of luck. I have my 2nd WI tomorrow. We shall see what happens.
    Good luck in your weigh-in tomorrow! The first number is always big, because it's water, glycemic reserve and some fat. It starts to taper off some but don't worry about it. It all adds up one day at a time.
  • Quote: Machbasy,

Did his weekly loss decrease very much?

He just finished week one. I'll let you know next week! I suspect that next week he won't lose nearly as much though.
  • WI today - down 2.2 lbs. I've lost a total of 41 lbs in 15 weeks. I was so excited to break through the 40 lb mark. I feel like I've been in the 30s forever! (Or you know, 4 weeks... I hit 32 lbs on 12/23). This has energized me for another week - I'd really been feeling burned out this last week.

Quote: Believe me, I know it is small. Part of the issue is that for insurance to pay for it as "medically necessary", they have to remove 500 gms of tissue from each side. The basic rule of thumb is that it is 150 gms per cup size. Going from a DD to an A/B is going to be about 500 gms. So in some ways, I don't have much choice in going that small. But I am truly okay with it. I don't have very broad hips and under all this extra padding, I'm actually quite petite. I'll just finally have the chest to match the rest of me! All the rest of the women in my family are in the A/B region - I don't know how I ended up so well endowed... Even before I really started to put on weight, I had pretty decent sized boobs.

I am so looking forward to being able to wear strapless tops without HAVING to wear a bra. I haven't ever been able to wear a halter top because of the pain of having it pull down on my neck. I can't wait.

Anyone have any feedback on phasing off before surgery so that I have the extra calories/nutrients for healing? I'm goign to ask the PA about it on Friday, but I wanted to get your input too.
    I copied this from yesterday's thread - I never got any feedback on the last part, so I wanted to throw it out there again! My coach just told me to talk to the PA about it when I asked her today.

Quote: Checking in on my lunch hour. I just had the chocolate drink for the first time since being on IP - it's delicious!!! Might become my new favorite thing!
    Seriously, the first time for the chocolate drink? Wow. I love it. I get a box every time I WI! Totally fills that chocolate need for me.

Quote: thank you so much for saying this. for the last week and a half i could not understand why i am so cold all the time. my best pal said "oh, weird, your diet makes you cold", and i agreed but half joking. but it REALLY is making me cold. my hands are freezing all the time. it's 60 degrees in SF today, which is really really nice, but i keep standing in front of my heater! does the coldness ever end?
    I was always cold for months 2 & 3. I bought crocheted hand warmers so I could type on the computer but keep my hands warm! It does get better...

Quote: My neighbor gave me an elk roast. I have never had elk before so would I cook it like a normal roast? I am pretty sure I seen a recipe for a regular roast in the recipe thread but I thought I would check and see if that would work for this? Anyone have a IP friendly elk roast recipe?
    Mmmm.... Elk. So much healthier than beef! Yes, cook it just like a regular roast. Enjoy!

Quote: Thank you for all the congratulations! After I posted that I made it to onderland...I started thinking and realized I weight less now then when I got married and when I met my husband. Exciting thought! Thank your again, it's so nice to be able to have a support group you can share with.
    I definitely weigh less now than when I met my husband. Love it!

[QUOTE=Medicmom734;3663674NSV - Last week I had tried on some shorts from 2 or 3 summers ago, while getting ready to pack for my trip and they were absolutely tight and 1 pair didn't even do up. I tried them on today, and TADA, they fit nicely, and look hot! YAY! [/QUOTE]

Yay! I have a pair of Lucky Brand capris that I bought 2 years ago that I bought in the largest size they came in - 14/32. When I bought them, they were a little tight and since I wore them so infrequently, I never washed them because I was afraid that they would shrink and then I couldn't wear them. I washed them last fall before I put them away for the season and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of spring to bust them out and see if they are even remotely wearable or if they are just going to be too big!
  • ShowgirlAZ- You are amazing! I LOVE that you take time to answer each and every post. So, so, so thoughtful!!!
  • Quote: I can scan in the sheet and upload it tonight when i get home. i have done a little writting on it.. i pust asrisks next to the "allowable" vegetables and the carb range for the day on the top so it's a bit messy.
    I had 2 of the jello packets in my "starter kit" and BOTH TIMES they didn't set up. I mentioned it to my coach and she said too much water....maybe not long enough in the fridge too. i think it's like 2 hrs or something. so make it before dinner then it should be done by the time you are to be having your snack...that is, with the right amount of water i am guessing.
    I have found that the water must be boiling first, then add the jello mix, otherwise it won't set up.
  • Mrs Diettrich - a friend of mine was on IP and had breast reduction surgery. She went off of IP during her recovery (and unfortunately never started back on again). I don't know if her doctor suggested this or if she just needed more calories during recovery.
  • Quote: I'm 8 days into the program and I had my first WI today. I started at 327 and I'm down to 314 for a total of 13 lbs. My coach is super fired up but I'm staying reserved because I know it will taper off. I won't complain a bit if I can keep up a 1.5 lb loss per day!

I TOTALLY know what you mean about the smells. Everything is heightened! It is funny because things that I used to really like eating smell awful to me. I guess my sense of smell has gotten healthier Lol.
  • Quote: That is great, I am also loosing the weight and have a goal to do a triathlon in July. Which one are you doing? Are you able to do any training for the triathlon?
    Awesome! I am just about to start training. I have been doing general workouts and downhill skiing without much change in my energy level, so I hope the training have the same result.

I am planning on doing the Buffalo, WY triathlon. How about you?

YAY for us and setting goals!