Lowcarb Freestyle New~Nov. 24

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Hi everyone,
    Jennifer, really sorry your feeling so lousy. I hate surgery too. Here's to a speedy recovery. (I'm raising a steamed broccoli spear).

Anne, I had to cut out nuts, too easy too eat and I've always had a hard time controlling my eating anyway. I also cut out all dairy for now. I've read that if you hit a plateau, to change things a little and that sometimes will give your weight loss a kick start, so that's what I did. Hoping it will continue for awhile. I added more carbs- oatmeal, rice and potatoes. Also, I did away with the food combining completely. I've read so many places that it is better to eat proteins and carbs together. But, the extra exercise sure can't hurt. On lowcarb.com, there is an exercise/diet guru type, Trainer Dan. He has gone from being a out of shape little weakling to a buffed, muscley guy. Anyway, he gives a lot of advice to the masses and has published a book, or a booklet of sorts. I ordered it, it's really 64 8x10 pages in a binder. But, it has a lot of info in it that he's gathered from his experience in body building. It is hard to read, and not really worth getting, unless your a serious body builder. But his idea is to eat a really high protein diet 5 1/2 days a week and then for 1 1/2 days to eat high carb. After reading some of it, I realized it wasn't for me. Still, it is good to read lots of info from lots of people and then make your own decision concerning how you want to eat. I know one thing, as long as I'm not eating chips and dip with coke for lunch, I'm doing a lot better. I cann't believe I use to do that, and did it for years.

Yesterday, the Dr said I could have an ankle replacement, enter a research study with some kind of experimental treatment, have the hardware removed from my ankle or just let things stay the same for awhile. I chose stay the same. I go back to see him in 6-9 months and I think by that time, I'll have lost a lot more weight and my muscles will be stronger. I want to be as good as I can be before I have the hardware removed, which is what I want to happen next. I'm tired of experiments and I sure don't want an ankle replacement. I think I've come a long way so far and will only improve.
    Last night we ate at my favorite Chinese restaurant and I had 2 plates of food. Mostly meat and veggies, but also the cellophane noodles, I don't know what they do to them, but they are so delicious. Today, we went to the buffet and it was good, but I just had a small portion of meat, steamed veggies and baked potato. I figured I pigged out last night and that was good enough.

I sent back Colleens ring. It was starting to get too big and I doubt it could be sized. I told DH that I want a Total Gym for Christmas and he was really relieved that he won't have to go out and buy something for me. He said he wanted one too. I think it will be a great addition to my work out and it will be easy on my ankle.
    Talk to you all later, Nikki
  • I was baaaad....
    How did you guys do yesterday? I did not eat too much dinner, but I pigged out on NUTS!!! I did have a piece of pumpkin pie, but that was it. I ate 1 slice of turkey, and I just had 1 or 2 forkfuls of the other stuff. I did not eat any rolls, which I patted myself on the back!

Today is the official start of Christmas shopping. Most of our stores opened at 6:00am. There is no way I am venturing out to the stores today! I can't stand crowds. Are any of you planning on shopping today? If so, GOOD LUCK!!!!

Jennifer, {{{{{HUGS}}}}} from me too. You get plenty of rest. I had a hysterectomy 9 yrs. ago, so I have an idea of what you're going through. The best part about the whole thing was that I couldn't do anything for a month. It was nice being waited on hand and foot, sort of like being a man!

Su, that's fantastic losing 10% of your weight They say that's the magic number.

nikki, congratulations on the 4 lb. That's terriffic. Sorry about Colleen's ring. The Technibond ring I have is starting to get larger on me, but it can be worn on my middle finger. Right now it fits good on my ring finger because I'm retaining water from all the salted nuts I ate yesterday. I can't believe I did that, but they were good. Have you read Body for Life? There is a thread on this site with his WOE. It sounds like a pretty good way to eat. He gives you a free day in the week to eat anything you want. The guy who wrote BFL, sounds a lot like Trainer Dan. That's good news about your ankle. When you have lost more weight, and with all the exercising you do, I bet your ankle will be ok on its own.

ANNE, can you get by with 1/4 cup of nuts? If you get soy nuts, since they are small, you get a lot more nuts for your 1/4 cup. If nuts are a trigger food, then by all means cut them out. Peanuts & Cashews are triggers for me, but soy nuts aren't.

Hi mauvaisroux, hope you're having a good day.

Have a great day ladies!

Aleka
  • Hello everyone!

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Congrats on the 4lbs nikkic

We woke up to a snowstorm this morning...we are lucky that DH and I can both walk to work from our apartment, we did not have to dig ourselves out or fight traffic

We went to a Greek restaurant for dinner. I managed to eat well by having grilled chicken and a shrimp brochette but did eat the Greek potatoes. They tasted amazing! I figured that I will allow my self a potato once in a while. Weird thing is that I don't actually miss eating them and now that they are a treat I enjoy them more.

Jennifer, I hope your operation goes well and that you are feeling better soon

Hi Su, Aleka and Anne!
  • Evening everyone,
    Aleka, you didn't do too bad yesterday. Those nuts are just so tempting aren't they? I will read BFL, but still trying to make it through Schwarzbeins books, kind of dull if your not doing the plan. Where is that thread? I didn't shop today, too many people and I hate crowds too. A friend of ours says that Walmart here in town sold $125k in the first 30 min that the store was open. We live in a small town too. Hard to imagine what the whole country sold. My favorite Technibond ring is too big and sort of fits on my middle finger. When I've lost all the weight I want, if it doesn't fit any finger, I'm having it put in a real setting. I just love that simulated Alexandrite, but they don't make this style anymore.

Mauvaisroux, the greek food sounds good. I haven't eaten that in over 20 years. Don't think there are any Greek restaurants in Iowa. There's restaurants run by Greeks, but they sell the usual-pizza and hamburgers. Wow, that's a lot of snow, we still have to try to get our snow shovel and snow blower out of the shed. Glad to hear I'm not the only one eating a potato once in awhile. It is funny that they don't taste better, isn't it? They use to be one of my favorite foods. I figure once or twice a week I can eat a small baked potato. I have been eating oatmeal with soy milk for breakfast every morning. I make a big pot the first of the week and then just heat it up in the microwave the rest of the week. Add some splenda and cinnamon and it's not too bad. I saw your thread wanting recipes for Christmas. Have you checked over at the ss'ing site? They have lots of great recipes there. I'll post a few appetizer recipes here too.

HI Anne, Su and Jennifer.

Guess it's getting late, so I'll talk to you all tomorrow.
    Nikki
  • Thanks nikki!

I will pop over to the ss site on the weekend and check it out.
  • Goooood morning Chicks,
    I hope everyone has a great day. I am getting ready for work. It is now 5:25 am.
    Ruth thanks, your dog sounds wonderful.
    I was really hungry yesterday, I made the pizza soup and had it for lunch and supper but it did not do the trick so I ended up having bacon and eggs before I went to bed. I went to babysit our two grandsons last night and had about 15 of there cheesies about 11 carbs!!!! That is the first time I knowingly ate something that I shouldn't have. Oh well.
    Well Have a large day, Remember;

The hand that gives,
    gathers.
    (English Proverb)
    Tazcat
  • Hey there!
    We had snow yesterday afternoon, and it seemed the right time to put up some of our Christmas stuff. We'll put more up today. Took all the Thanksgiving decorations down, but I just know there is one or two things I forgot...I usually do!

mauvaisroux, before the SS site went down, I printed out a sausage ball recipe. The original recipe calls for Bisquick baking mix, I believe, and someone SSized it, using shredded cheese for the Bisquick. I've tried the sausage balls made with the baking mix, and they are awesome I haven't tried them SSized, but if you want, I will post the recipe for you if you haven't found it on SS site. The Greek food sounds good. Like nikki, the only Greek owned restaurants are pizza parlors, and we have an Italian restaurant near us that is owned by Greeks. The only thing I have ever had that is Greek is Feta Cheese, and I absolutely LOVE it! I don't miss potatoes either. Once in awhile instead of a baked potato I have a baked sweet potato (yam). My weakness is mashed potatoes.

nikki, I was watching our New England 24 hr. cable news station yesterday, and they were at some store, it looked like Walmart. They had a news camera inside the store, and when they opened the doors to let people in, they all came racing in. It looked like a herd of buffalo coming. They were going so fast, and trying to be first that someone almost knocked over a display. I couldn't believe my eyes!

tazcat, welcome Which low carb plan are you doing?

Hi Jennifer, Su, & ANNE

Have to get going and make breakfast. Got to go grocery shopping and want to beat the crowds.

Take care and have a great day. Aleka
  • nikki,
    I just remembered you asked where the BFL thread was. It's on the main forum page, and it's above General Diets, and it's called Body for Life/Bodybuilding. Another thing, I forgot to ask you. Tony Little was selling his gazelle yesterday on HSN. It's the Gazelle Freestyle Extreme. Is that the one you have? They were selling it for $199.00.

Aleka
  • Aleka, It's the same one. They have one out now that has shock absorber things on it to make it more resistive. It looks hard, but you can leave them off if you want. If your under 250 lbs, you can get one for $99 from walmart on line, same thing as the extreme, just not as heavy duty. I bet there will be some for sale after the first of the year, in the want ads. I get a good cardio work out from it, plus it stretches out my muscles and makes my joints loosen up. I still use the tape, I gauge my workout against his. He is still annoying, but I also find him inspiring and positive too. It's a good way to start the day.

Mauvaisroux, I posted a recipe for Chinese Shrimp Kebobs on the main entree forum here. These would be festive and easy. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm making them for Christmas too. We're just having finger foods. I want it to be easy and relaxed. Everyone can just graze, but it won't be so filling as a big turkey with all the trimmings.
  • Thanks Nikki!
  • Hi,
    A quick note before I go to bed, it is now 9:55.
    Aleka, I am reading Dr. Atkins book and using a lot of the recipies on the low carb recipie site. I love the one for fake mashed potatoes. I make a lot of smoothies using soy protein powder. I have made the pizza soup, yum. I have made the cheese burger soup, yum. The jello,cream cheese, dipped in unsweetened chocolate, well I don't think they will make me eat to many carbs, yeck!
    We went out for supper and I had a stake and salad. DH had a large fish and fries, to die for.
    Like I said before you all have helped me with this low carb thing. I have also joined back at TOPS. I was a member several years ago. I like being part of a group.
    Well I must go, 4:45am comes early, I have to work tomorrow.
    Tazcat.
  • Another late night,
    Just got back from picking up DD from work and taking her home. The cat and I are keeping late hours together. He sleeps all day anyway.
    Tazcat, welcome to our little group. Which low carb site are you visiting for recipes?
    I didn't feel like working out this morning, I started to, but just felt pooped. Worked out this evening for an hour and must say, it is better to start the day with exercise than to end it that way.
    Su, Anne and Jennifer, hope your all doing well.
    Tomorrow is almost here, talk to you then, Nikki
  • Nikkic,
    I am getting my recipies from this forums, Low carb recipies site. Good morning every chick!
    I have tried BFL, might go back to some of those exercise. I have the book, I have a lot of books, Ha HA. I really don't like trying to get exercise in at 5am. That is my computer time before I go to work. Well all for now,
    Tazcat
  • Morning everyone,
    I'm feeling very blonde today. Aleka, I've seen that thread before, I don't know where my head was at. I read the info on bfl and it looks a lot like a lot of other plans that I've seen lately, but with all the good parts stuck together, if that makes any sense. The one thing I don't agree with is having a free day or even a free meal. Seems like it is taking a step backwards. Not that cheating occasionally is bad, I plan on cheating and do it without guilt. But I don't do it all day. Like, if I'm going to cheat, I'll have one thing that I feel is cheating some, then the rest of the meal is on track. Yesterday, I had a taco salad at a restaurant. I know that meat had a taco seasoning in it that no doubt had sugar in it, but I figured, it was a small amount, so I ate it without guilt and stayed on track the rest of the day. Also, the taco sauce they served with it had sugar in it, so that added some more. Wish the food industry would leave that sugar out more than add it.
    Taz, I misunderstood, I thought you were going to a different site for recipes. There are some really good ones here too. In fact, I think some of the best ones are here. I have a lot of books too. I have lots of loose papers I've printed out and need to put into binders one day. DH wants to know why I think I need all these papers. I say they are mostly recipes and they are. I print them out, then rarely look at them again. I do have them if I need them though. I get up and exercise early, but 5am is aweful early.
    Later, Nikki
  • Hi Chicks!

I'm trying to type around the furgirls who think it is verrrry cold! I tried to entice them to sit on the chair with the furry wrap, but nooooo, my lap is the place!

It's good to see you all back and smiling! I did pretty well with the weight loss, but we don't cook much in my family for holidays. We are all older, and between dietary restrictions and no kids, it just isn't the problem for us that it is for others. I'll have more trials through Christmas due to so much work-related get togethers, so I'm trying to prepare myself.

Taz, I've tried BFL just briefly. I had some joint pain kick in, but I think that the full program is hard on those of us who have not been active in some time. I'm waiting on that until I am closer to goal. I did buy the Leslie Sampson tapes on walking that are at Sam's. 3 tapes and the wt balls for about 18 dollars. The first one is about my speed right now!

Nikkic- That 4 lb wt loss is super!! I know that will keep you feeling lighter on your exercise this week! I wonder if the mashed cauliflower potatos could be spiced like Mauvisroux's greek potatos??? I did love potatos soooo much, but I think I'm just very carb reactive. Maybe at goal

Aleka, How did the shopping go? I avoid those 'doorbuster' sales times too. My mom and dad once went when I was a child, and Dad had to protect Mom from being shoved through a plate glass door! They did get the color TV they went after, but I think they both thought it too great a risk. I love the nuts too! I had decided not to buy any more since I pigged on them a while back, but they are back in freezer. I think they are such a good food, I am going to have to learn to get along with them. The same goes for cream cheese. Some in my eggs really helps on my hungry days, I just need to keep from snacking on it so much.

Anyone going to see Solaris? Of course, I am not going to see it because of G Clooney's rear () I did hear online that he really comes across with a great performance, so I'm curious.

Everyone, have a wonderful day! Su