Oh, how I love/miss pasta...

• I love pasta WAY too much. I love that full feeling you get from a second round at Olive Garden. However that full feeling is how I ended up where I did! I've been really missing it though.

So today I tried replacing pasta with spaghetti squash for the first time. I halved the squash, removed the goop, and rubbed the insides with EVOO and italian seasoning. Then I put it in the oven for a while and cooked up some shrimp and garlic and mixed that into Classico spaghetti sauce (no sugar added).

Then I served the spaghetti squash with the sauce on top with a little bit of skim mozza.

OMG! It was so filling! I won't lie, I was well aware I was eating squash and not actual spaghetti.......but it was delicious and it totally hit my pasta craving. I am now super full and I probably spent maybe (maybe) 7-8 P+ (I do WW).

Just thought I'd share, if there are any kindred spirits out there....lol
  • Sounds great! My bf and I had spaghetti squash tonight as well! I had it with black olives, rf feta cheese, onions, tomatoes, garlic and a tbsp of olive oil. It was excellent! My bf had it with tomato sauce and ground turkey!

Another tip...if you're short on time, you can cook the squash in the oven, just poke holes in it and cook it whole for about 10 minutes or so!
  • Once you get to Phase 2 you can use shiratake noodles too.
  • Make this . . . you'll be happy!
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entr...alian-pie.html

It is simply wonderful!
  • YUP
    Not a week goes by that I do not have a spaghetti squash.

ITs fantastic made all kinds of ways. Even on its own and not as a pasta substitute
  • There's a spaghetti squash casserole (I think it's listed as "Baked 'Spaghetti' Casserole" or something like that) on here that is awesome. YUM!!!
  • I love my spaghetti squash too!

Another yummy pasta substitute is to steam a bag of broccoli slaw (or boil it if you prefer, I just steam all my veggies) and use that in place of pasta. We especially love it with a meaty spaghetti sauce. It's quicker than the spaghetti squash so now that's what I do on those nights that I'm running late - you know, the days when I used to grab a box of pasta because it was so quick.
  • I love pasta too. But I never could eat it in moderation. It was one of the few meals that I overate - usually snacking is my problem. But the funny thing is I don't miss it now that I don't have it. I do love that spaghetti squash deep dish pie though. When my teen needed to carb load for sports I made a meat sauce with pasta for him and just had the sauce with veggies myself.
  • Cool suggestions about the broccoli slaw!

What does the squash taste like? Is it similar to acorn squash? (which I believe is only Phase II allowable?)
  • My weakness is Mac'n'cheese... Love that soooo much. Can't eat it- I lose control.
  • I made spaghetti squash last week with homemade spicy marinara sauce, turkey italian sausage, peppers and onions. It was seriously yummy. My husband (the super carb lover) and my three year old ate it. Heck, my husband had two big servings - the only thing he missed was garlic bread.
  • There is a recipe for mock garlic bread on here I think!
  • Mmc - I thought shirataki noodles were phase 1 appropriate. aren't they just tofu?
  • Quote: Cool suggestions about the broccoli slaw!

What does the squash taste like? Is it similar to acorn squash? (which I believe is only Phase II allowable?)
    IMO it tastes more like yellow summer squash, it's very mild, not a lot of taste by itself. The texture is what's so cool though, it has a stringy texture, similar to strands of spaghetti.

Here's another yummy recipe Southwestern Spaghetti Squash
  • I was following a thread last year that said they were Phase 2. They are some kind of yam flour. I'm sure others who know more will chime in. I've never personally tried them, have you?