Am I the only one who never liked TBL?

You're on Page 1 of 6
Go to
  • I'm already too cynical for reality television. I can not believe that the majority of what happens (the "drama" especially) is not planned or at least encouraged by people behind the scenes. I guess there isn't anything wrong with that, I would just much rather watch a well written and acted show.

But having a reality show about weight where the object is to lose more weight than everyone else in a certain time frame bothers me. I've never watched an episode of TBL and I don't intend to. But even before some of the controversy over one of the former contestant's accusations I had a big aversion to TBL.

I don't understand the concept of pitting individuals against each other and saying that one person or one team is better because they lost more weight. There are such a HUGE amount of things that can affect the scale. And just because one person loses more doesn't mean they necessarily worked harder or did better.

I guess it's the idea of making weight loss a race that really bugs me. That's the exact reason why I gave up so many times. Because I felt my progress didn't matter because it was so slow. Or, "Yeah I lost 50 pounds but I haven't lost anything in six months so it doesn't mean anything anymore!" Like there is an expiration date on progress.

And don't get me started on Jillian....I've done the 30 day shred, and her yoga video, and couldn't stand it. The reason was Jillian's training style. I guess some people really like her and that's great for them. But I can't stand the "you have to hate this" feeling I got from her.

That's why I'm so in love with Chalene Johnson's workouts. She is the exact opposite. She makes me feel positive about myself and the workout and makes me really want to push to my max. I think more people need to feel that way about diet and fitness.

Instead of feeling like you're failing because you aren't keeping up with everyone else or with a time line or set of rules, feel GREAT because every moment you can push yourself to what is %100 for you at that time. It doesn't have to match someone else's %100. I feel like shows such as TBL breed more 'you're just not good enough' feelings.

I know a lot of people really like the TBL and find it motivating, and that's great! Like I said I've never actually watched it. I just kind of wanted to rant a little/see if anyone else felt the same way.
  • I've only seen it couple of times , but the average dieter could never follow that routine, hours and hours of exercise. Who has time for that ? It is just to extreme..
  • I think it's hard to judge something if you have never sat down and really watched it. I haven't watched every season but I've seen quite a bit and Jillian is actually a really nice person- she's sat down contestants and talked to them and you can tell she really does care. She just believes in tough love.

Last season the contestants were awesome- it wasn't so much about drama but about them doing their best to lose. I won't lie- there have been things done on the show that have irritated me- but overall I think they are trying to do as much good as they can in the short amount of time they have while STILL trying to entertain the masses. Let's be honest, if the show were boring it would have been cancelled a long time ago.
  • I certainly don't mean to be down on Jillian as person. I meant to say that I personally do not like her training style because of how it makes me feel and that it really doesn't help me get a good workout (it has the opposite effect actually). And I'm curious if there are other people who feel like I do.

I'm also not really thinking so much about TBL itself as the concept of it. But thinking about TBL is what got the thought process started and is the easiest example I can find.

Like I said I think it's great if other's find the show inspirational!
  • I do actually like to watch it, but I completely understand where you are coming from. "Racing to the finish" doesn't work for me, one, because I get discouraged and start going to unsustainable measures, and two, because there IS no finish. I like to see the transformations, because seeing the before and after stuff is exciting, even if it takes me 2 years instead of 12 weeks to get there.

Every year at work they start a biggest loser competition. I participated a couple times, but I have since sworn off it. I will just keep plodding away at my sensible plan while the same person who has won the last 3 years keeps gaining and losing the same pounds. She DOES get a pretty good jackpot for her efforts, but this is about something different for me. I don't need anything messing with my head sending me back into "GET THIS WEIGHT OFF NOW, BY WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY (even though you will never be able to keep it up and will gain it back and then some).
  • You are not alone. I have seen bits and pieces but never sat through an episode because I do disagree with most of the tactics.

A much better way of measuring successful losses against each other would be a percentage of starting weight lost. The 430 guy loses 43 pounds for 10% and the 300 pound woman loses 30. They could also do body fat % with a real hydrostatic test each week for extra points to account for muscle building. Not measuring the % but the change in % thus allowing for more equality between male and female.

The could also do away with the shirtless weigh-ins for the men and athletic bras for the women.

They could do a lot more challenges with menu planning and cooking to cover the nutritional aspects. Even one with restaurant food choices, etc.

There are so many more things they could do to emphasize other important facets of weight loss but I guess the producers aren't in the business of educating the public. They just want to attract the biggest audience without much consideration of reality.
  • I wish there was a show where they took some slightly (70 pounds and less) overweight people and turned them into fit and trim people. I would love to see the workouts, diets etc. Ranch life is wonderful, but we all deal real life issues; kids, work, husbands/wives etc....I would find it inspirational if 'real' people with 'real' lives were to be the 'cast' members.

I could relate to it, and learn from it.
  • I go back and forth on it. It can be motivating to see these people pull such big numbers and work hard for change. But I get sick of the crying. And I get really sick of Jillian's condescending attitude. I watched a few seasons in a row, but skipped last season
  • I started watching it last season and I liked it in the beginning. I found the show very inspirational. After watching it for a few weeks, I started getting upset with the weigh ins and the reactions from Jillian. It was just heartbreaking to see some of the women crying because they ONLY lost 6 pounds in a week. At one point, Jillian snarled and just acted like it was unacceptable. The little advertisements got to be too much as well. They have the coahes pitching gum and products through out the show, it was really annoying. I still have mixed feelings over the show. It is great that weight loss is more focused on than it used to be but I just don't feel like this sort of show is entirely beneficial to overweight viewers. It just sends the wrong message.
  • Quote: A much better way of measuring successful losses against each other would be a percentage of starting weight lost.
    This IS how they do it, just FYI.
  • Why do they make them get on the scale?
  • I hate TBL.... now really, the public humiliation of the weigh ins; exercise regimes that seem cruel at best and ultimately dangerous; the "boot camp" mentality of screaming at someone to get them motivated. This is not about helping people - it is about badgering and humiliating them for a TV audience and for the financial reward of high ratings. Creeps me out!
  • I have watched TBL--even whole seasons--but I agree with the OP on this.

The main thing to remember is that it is entertainment. It's not role modeling, it's not about nutrition, and it's not about health. It's about entertaining people enough that they keep watching so that the producers can sell advertising. Yes, it's all about advertising dollars. No, it is not a public service program.

What I find especially offputting is the rubbernecker factor--know what I mean? It appeals to people who can't turn away from something awful.

Jillian is a sadist--I don't care how nice she talks to people after she's broken them down, she's still a sadist, in my opinion. Bob is the same--but it's expected that he'll be that way because he's male. I wouldn't take a single training session with either one of them.

The whole thing is way too extreme, in spite of the occasional nods they give to good nutrition. Oh, and what really turned me off on the last show was the statement, "Everyone likes a makeover." Oh? Do they? Yet another fad to make money.

OK, stopping now.

Jay
  • Sum38, there is a TV show called National Body Challenge that is much more realistic. And of course, people lose a lot less weight. That's because it's realistic.

Jay
  • Quote: Why do they make them get on the scale?
    Well you can't calculate percentage lost without knowing pounds lost can you? They do the weigh ins but the percentage lost is what counts.