Newbie - Just starting

• Hi all, I have wanted to lose weight for months now but just haven't been motivated enough to really start seriously sticking with a program. I found this sight this morning and thought joining might help me take that first step to losing weight. I have been miserable for sometime now. I can't stand to look at myself in a mirror. My hips, knees and feet are killing me and I know it's because of all this weight I'm carrying around. I don't know what program I'm going to use yet. I'm kind of leaning towards a low carb diet as diabetes runs in my family. Several years ago I lost quite a bit on Atkins but gained it all back and a lot more. 2010 was a rough year for me with family problems and I realize I used food as a comforter. I need to change my life, eat healthier, lose weight and start feeling better about myself. I need to do this!
  • Hey Muey -

Joining here is a great first step! We have lots of forums describing a variety of plans, including Low Carb plans, so look around and explore...you'll be sure to find the right plan for you. We also have great forums by age range, so be sure to check those out.

So look around, find a spot or many to post, and get going. Can't wait to get to know you better!
  • Hello there

We have similar goals. I started at 208 and would like to be somewhere between 140-150. I chose to do a low carb diet because diabetes also runs in my family (great idea!) Good luck on your journey and myself and the rest are here to support you!
  • Thanks ladies ! I can tell already that I have found what I've been looking for in this site - Support and comradeships!
  • Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

I know one of the most important things when it comes to diet and diabetes is to eat low GI carbs and not to avoid carbs at all - just the unhealthy, white carbs.

Good quality carbs include whole-wheat/grain products, baby and sweet potatoes and couscous.

Good luck with your weight loss goals. Just believe that you can do it and you will!
  • Welcome and good luck!

Dhani