How many WW points are in grasshoppers?

• http://www.news-geek.com/blog/grassh...das-are-gross/

Last week my friend Rima gathered a bunch of people together at a really nice Mexican restaurant where we all sampled some grasshopper empanadas. You can read the tale here of the culinary adventure
  • You're brave Matt! Looks like they're good for low carb diets too! At first I thought you meant a grasshopper cocktail and thought, "oh geez about a million WW points!"

LARGE GRASSHOPPERS
    Nutrition
    Facts

Serv. Size 100 grams
    Calories n/a
    Fat Cal. 30
    *Percent Daily Values(DV) are
    based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    Amount/Serving %DV* Amount/Serving %DV*

Total Fat 3.3 g 5% Total Carb. 0 g 0%
    Sat Fat n/a g n/a% Fiber n/a g n/a%
    Cholest. n/a mg n/a % Sugars 0 g n/a%
    Sodium n/a mg n/a% Protein 14.3g 29%
    Potassium n/a mg n/a%

Vitamin A n/a% - Vitamin C 0% - Calcium 3% - Iron 20%
  • Very cool.

Doing the math (4 calories per gram of carbohydrates and 9 calories per gram of fat), grasshoppers only have about 100 calories per 100g. That's about the same calories per gram as shrimp.
  • I didn't think people would actually look it up

I was sort of joking with the title, but its good to know!
  • I knew you were joking. I just got curious.
  • I've looked up some pretty strange foods myself.

So how were the grasshoppers? I've seen a lot of insect dishes on the food and travel channels, including the grasshopper tacos. I've tried a lot of strange foods, but I'm squeamish about insects. Still, if there's one way I would be able to eat them, fried and seasoned, wrapped in a taco would probably be it.

Seeing the legs would do me in though, so I'd have to make sure all of the little legs were tucked in.
  • they were crunchy and sort of tasted a bit like popcorn. Not a strong flavor either way. I certainly wouldn't rave about them, but it wasn't horrible
  • Far braver than me. No way would I try that. Bravo!
  • I've eaten them. Crunchy and a bit like popcorn describes them well.

It's an acquired taste, that's for sure. LOL
  • Well, if you have to go catch the little buggers yourself, I would say they are 0 pts.