Bringing Holiday Treats To Work

• My turn to bring Holiday treats to work is on December 20th. Food can be hot or cold, simple or something that requires more preparation. But I am stumped! I thought about buying something premade from the store, then bounced back to the idea of homecooking. The employee lounge has a large fridge, stove, microwave and outlets for crock pots etc. Any suggestions? Does not necessarily need to be healthy as it's not for me (but for my coworkers) and so I won't be eating it. Unless it's fruit or veggies but we've had a few of those trays already. I'd like to do something different.

Thanks!
  • Is it for lunch? A holiday sweet treat? Or just an appetizer?
  • It can be anything (treat/snack, breakfast food or lunch) as it will be out and accessible for eating between 10:00 and 1:00.
  • You have alot of options unless something specific is asked for.

You could do a meat/cheese tray and include healthy meats and cheeses. Include healthier crackers and/or small breads. A tray of veg and fruit (make them unusual items if not too costly). I would include maybe a small selection of treats, too. Or any of the above.
  • Good ideas! I am still liking the veggie tray idea just cos it IS refreshing! And maybe this is just cos I'm craving them but tacos sound real good too! But what could I substitute for ground beef? Veggie sausage? Or is this too compilcated you think?
  • You could make chili in the crock pot and bring sour cream, cheese etc for people to top it with. Chili is great for winter, and you could either make a veggie chili or use ground turkey to make it lower cal.
  • Oh, chili is a fantastic suggestion! By itself, it can actually be quite lean (especially if you're more heavy-handed with the beans than with the meat), but those who want to "zhoozh" it up with the sour cream, crackers, and/or cheese can do so too.

I love that idea so much it makes me want to go cook some chili too.
  • Turkey is always good for a beef replacement.
  • I'm liking the chili idea as well. Hadn't thought about that one but it would be a lot easier than tacos, and people can still dress it up a bit with various toppings, if they so desire. And turkey as an alternative for ground beef, great idea! Much lighter on the tummy too.