****30 something december chat****

You're on Page 5 of 7
Go to
  • Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm just looking for people to talk to as a means to help me keep on track. I have managed to lose 44 lbs on my own so far but it keeps getting harder and harder and I really needed someplace to go so I can vent my frustrations that would normally cause me to give up. My biggest problem is my addiction to Mountain Dew. I am doing really well with the food part although, I need to quit working at McDonald's so I will quit eating the food. Does anyone know how to break the Mountain Dew addiction, I have tried everything I can think of but I always end up giving in.
  • Welcome Skittles,

on the 44lbs.

I'm not sure how to break the Mountain Dew addiction. You may need to eliminate all sugars together. Maybe figure out what triggers you to go back to it. Avoid having access to it. Find a healthier subsitution. Maybe try lime and/or lemon in your water (and always have your water with you). I am an addict myself. One thing I know is one is never enough and just a little will cause me to go over board. I always have lemon water or plain water. I pretty much take it every where with me.

Demona,

Sorry to hear about the hubby. I'm very fortunate because I have a very supportive BF who is very aware of my weight loss goals and struggle. Sometimes he flaunts icecream and food infront of me, but not with the intent to send me off track. He is quitting smoking and adopting a healtier rountine much like I am, but it is still hard to not want to rip the food from his cold dead hands. We are trying to be a support system to accomplish our goals.

Keep up the good work ladies. Its great to hear and share our success with one another.
  • Only think I can think of Skittles would be to work a Mountain Dew in to your day. Like if you are counting calories, fit it in by eating all lower cal foods that day. Or make it a weekly reward. If you do x amount of exercise, or loose x amount, or eat healthy all week reward yourself with one 20 oz bottle of Mountain Dew. I've never been a huge soda drinker but when I am dieting every once and a while I'll crave one so I allow myself one can a month if I'm really wanting it. I usually try to fit in one "splurge" food a month just to remind myself that that I can still have it if I want to and then I don't feel like I'm missing out on stuff. I started with doing that once a week and then reduced it to twice a month then down to once a month. Kind of weening myself off the things I used to pig out on. (For me that would be Chinese food, chocolate, and ice cream) Good luck with it!!!
  • *only thing I can think of....oops! That's what happens when the baby wants up on my lap while typing. lol
  • Skittles,

For several years all I would drink was iced tea, sweetened with sugar. (I would have said sweet tea, but I'm not sure where you are from because some people in other parts of the country/world have never heard of sweet tea). For a long time I'd wanted to switch to water only-- tried sweetening the water, putting fruit in it, etc. I could never switch to only water. But one day I figured out how many calories of sugar I was consuming a day-- and it was a lot. It added up to an extra 1000 calories a day consumed!! That convinced me to get off the sweet tea and start drinking plain water. That week I lost like 4 pounds. Now I crave water, PLAIN water, and I love the taste.

So I'd encourage you to figure out the calories you are drinking a day by figuring out the number of calories per teaspoon of sugar, think about how much caffeine is in Mountain Dew (mountain dew is loaded with caffeine). Decide what you are willing to drink in place of it. It might work for you.

So today my x-rays came back. I have swelling on my knee joints, and the doctor is wanting to set of an MRI. I've had several MRIs done on my brain (I have seizures) but this is the first on my knee... which I find a lot of humor in, for some odd reason.
  • Mmmmmm....sweet tea! Love it Southern Style!!!! I still do, but I make it with Splenda. Hope all goes well with the MRI Martina!
  • How is everyone doing today? I am having a fairly good day today. Seemed to have a battle with my alarm clock this morning....it was persistant in going off, no matter how persistant I was in hitting the snooze button. Alas...I am up and motivated. Hope everyone has a great day today! :wink:

Made it to ONEDERLAND! - 13 Dec 2010
    Dec 2010 mini goal 1: 1200 minutes of cardio - Goal met 14 Dec 2010!
    Dec 2010 mini goal 2: 10/15 lbs {193 pounds by 1 Jan 2011}
  • Hi everyone!!!

Missed you guys for a couple of days. I am hanging in there I hope all is well with you guys!!
  • I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning. It’s just so warm and cozy with my puppies. I started taking the later train to work so I'm getting to my desk 10 min after 9. That is a great improvement for me from when I use to drive and get in at 10 or later. Looking back now, I'm trying to think what was wrong with me. I think the dieting (eating right) and getting on schedule is really improving more than my waist line.

I also realized that a strict diet right now is not going to work. There are too many holiday parties and treats (esp. around the office) that I'm bound to enjoy some of the forbidden food . My diet book also suggest 80-20, 80% of the time healthy and 20% "other". I'm gonna use that rule going into the holidays.

The cold weather is really keeping me cooped up at home. I go to work and home. I should be hitting the gym, doing some Christmas shopping, and meeting with my support group but it’s too hard to get motivated to do anything but sit on my couch.
  • Hit a new low today wi at 222.6! my goal for this month is 219 so Im stoked!!
  • I'm proud of myself, well sort of, I only drank half of my mountain dew yesterday and then decided I didn't need the rest and threw it in the trash. This morning, I had every intention of getting a soda when I went to the break room, but I ended up convincing myself to buy a bottle of milk instead. Unfortunately, they only had 2% and I prefer skim but I drank it anyway. The part I am not proud of is I didn't play my game last night, instead I laid in bed and watched a movie. I definitely plan on playing my game tonight. I just got paid last night so I'm thinking about going to get Just Dance 2 tonight or tomorrow.
  • Matilda - That is awesome. Keep up the good work and you will hit your goal in no time. I'm going to look at my goals again and adjust them. I feel its just too aggressive especially with it being the holiday

Skittles - Look at that will power. You probably feel a 100% better going for the healthier choice over the soda. I have a feeling once you see the change from avoiding the Dew you will be so glad you cut back and won't want it in you diet at all anymore.

I personally have not seen enough movement in my scale. I've been lazy with it being so cold and need to add the gym to my routine if I expect to lose any weight. I was pretty broke this week and have been eating healthy but missing salads from my diet. I can tell its hurting my progress.

I also decided to an appointment with a Gastroenterologist. I carry all my extra weight in my stomach and look pregnant. My bf was even like your really skinny in your arms and legs. My friend suggested something maybe be happening that has nothing to do with my weight. Best to find out and rule that out as the issue.
  • Been away for a few days. Even though for now until an undetermined date exercise is a no-go for me I could tell today that in my calves I had more definition from when I started exercising again recently. So that is goog.

ja2ma6lee- I look pregnant too. About 7 months worth. My stomach and hips are where my weight is. My arms are really skinny. That picture in my avatar was me at my top weight, which was 212 pounds. Keep us informed on your gastroenterologist visit!!!
  • I have been away for awhile and haven't read all the posts but wanted to check in and say hello.
    Martina thanks for the info about yule quite interesting!

I can't remember who said the info about the 4 day diet but does anyone know if it is also a book? I have been on fat smash in the passed and liked it so I would definitely try this!! I just had surgery so for now I am on only liquids but once I go back to solids I am planning to try either fat smash or this 4 day diet!!
  • Good morning everyone!. I managed to lose 1.8 lbs last week! As long as its going down and not up I am good. I dont have much more to be under 200. I havent seen that in many years!

So how is everyone planning to survive this week without a gain? We have to eat with family Thursday and Friday night. I will cook at home on Saturday so I can control that. My plan is just to exercise daily and to enjoy the food but not stuff myself!