To push or not. . .

• I am having a hard time getting motivated today. It is cold and rainy and I can't go out on my bicycle. I need to be doing my stretches, Physical Therapy exercises and weight lifting -- but I just can't get off my rear. (I struggle with depression and right now it is a battle.)

Sometimes it is hard to know when to push myself and when to just let go and give myself a break. Today is one of those days.
  • Hang in there, tomorrow will be better, give your body a ONE day break, then get up and workout
  • I always say push. I always feel better after a good work out. I admit, I'm addicted to the endorphins.

My husband suffers from depression quite severely. I push him to exercise. He really does not want to do it but he always does feel better afterwards. He never remembers that as I'm pushing him out the door though. It feels like you just want to sit on the couch and do nothing but truly, that's the opposite of what you need.

...I think.
  • On Monday, I totally didn't feel like working out but I did and I was glad I did. One thing you can do is tell yourself that you'll give yourself 5 minutes. If after 5 minutes, you want to quit, then quit. If you feel ok, then give yourself 10 minutes, etc.
  • Not sure if you went or not but I find that if I can at least work on getting myself out the door, then it makes things a lot easier - rather than focusing on the workout itself.

Hug to you. I have some post-partum depression so I know that feeling but I do know that if I can push myself to get out the door and do something active, it helps overall.
  • First, shut off the computer. And the TV. And the smartphone.

Then decide if not pushing is still as appealing.
  • I agree with nelie - I often go into a workout with the attitude "I'm just gonna do this for 15 minutes, and if I'm completely and utterly miserable after that, I can stop". Well, I'm never completely and utterly miserable (unless it is running, which I hate!) so I just keep at it and add in more 15 minute intervals.