Exercising after running

• I've noticed that for the last two weeks since I've ramped up my running (I recently completed C25K and am now running about 45 minutes), I have a hard time doing any other exercises after. For instance, I used to be able to run and then immediately do the elliptical, stairmaster, etc. Now that I'm running the 45 minutes, if I try to do stairmaster or anything afterwards I get extremely tired and have to keep taking breaks and eventually stop after 10 minutes. Any ideas on what could be causing this and what I can do?
  • I wouldn't DREAM of trying to do anything after my run...I'd pass out!

Remember...it's not how much you do in a day...it's being consistency and how many days that counts for fat/weight loss. Perhaps you are overtraining? I would mix it up...maybe run every other day, do weights and/or cardio machines on the other days? I wouldn't risk trying to do too much in one day and cause either an injury or just burnout

Just the other day my 11 yr old came up to me while I was on my treadmill and said, "do you sweat like that everytime you run?" I said "yes, of course"... She was amazed and said she'd never seen someone sweat that much..lol!
  • ^Sweating is a good thing. *see signature*

I think running for 45 mins is a lot! Perhaps your body is just too tired to do anymore than that. Could you try switching it around and doing your other cardio first before running?
  • Thanks, ladies! Maybe I am overdoing it. If so, I don't know how to stop lol. I love working out! A 45 minute run just doesn't feel like enough exercise for the day. I think I will try to do the other stuff first and then run. See how that goes.

And I agree: Sweat is a good thing!
  • When I run I will do weights afterwards because after 45 mins of running I've had enough of cardio...
  • The most I use running for is as a warm up. I might run 20 minutes and then hit the weights. If I run 45 minutes, that IS my workout. LOL!

For me, it's not so much about the time as it is about the intensity. There are varying stages of intensity.
  • Um, 45 mins of running is 4-5 miles or more depending on your pace. That's a great workout. If you need more I would highly recommend you start strength training. You will get way more bang for you buck in terms of weight loss and body shape as opposed to more cardio. Just my 2 cents.
  • I don't know how to stop lol. I love working out! A 45 minute run just doesn't feel like enough exercise for the day.

Watch this, especially if you have any history of disordered eating or similar.
  • What about stairclimber before the running? For me - the stairclimber is harder, so I would do that first then run.
  • ncueno, I already do strength training. I guess on the days that I run, I feel like 45 minutes is short. I usually try to work out for an hour about 5 days a week. This week, on my run days, I'll only do the running and see how that goes.

diary, I've tried stairclimber first (although not since I've been running longer). The stairclimber kicks my butt and then I don't have energy to run .

ETA: No history of eating disorders or anything like that.
  • what kind of run? steady state? do you do intervals sometimes? i think there's other exercises/tips that increase endurance but i can't remember.

i often feel the same, less than 1 hr of cardio just feels like not enough. UNLESS, it's cathe friedrich's HiiT workouts. its only 20-30 mins, but SUPER intense. after that i'm either laying passed out or something really easy. definitely not weights, although i've heard of people that do that.
  • Could you just keep running? Run for an hour and see how that feels.
  • Today I did the stairclimber for 30 minutes and then ran for 30. No exhaustion! nceuno, I'm not quite up to running for an hour straight. I'd end up laid out somewhere lol.
  • I would keep practicing or follow ncuneo's suggestion. Good job!