IP Daily Chat - Wed. 10 Nov. 2010

You're on Page 7 of 7
Go to
  • Quote: Good morning fellow IPers!

Good luck on your WI today! My understanding is that the only root veggie you can eat is turnip as it has less carbs than others. We had a big discussion on the difference between turnip and rutabaga a few days ago as many of us thought they were one and the same. My sheet says no green cabbage, but red is okay.

I believe the deal with aspartame is that it's just generally not good for you- not that it will slow weight loss. Splenda, Stevia and sucralose are all the same thing (at least I'm 99% sure of this - oh wise ones, please correct me if I'm wrong). These latter are the sweeteners of choice.

Have a great day everyone!
    Splenda is sucralose but Stevia is not as "man made" as splenda. Stevia is from a leaf.........as I understand it Stevia is all natural. I have read Stevia is much better for you. (not that I believe EVERYTHING I read haha)
  • Just popped in to catch up on my reading and wanted to say congratulations on all the great WI results! This program is truly awesome and sharing success is so inspirational.

I just wanted to add my two cents as to why people don't say much about the weight loss even when it's obvious. I do believe most just don't know what to say because a lot of people are really sensitive about it. I've been growing my hair longer the past 6 months and people who haven't seen me in a while have commented on what a great change it is and that it suits me. I think it's easier for them to talk about that change rather than the weight loss. Those who are closer to me haven't been afraid to congratulate me on how I'm doing and there are several girls at work who are going to try IP after Christmas.

About carbonated drinks - I've never been a pop drinker, but I do enjoy having sparkling water (with a splash of crystal lite in it for flavour) in the evenings. It takes the place of the glass (or two) of wine I used to have every day after work.
    I don't think it has slowed down my weight loss too much, but I do make sure I drink almost twice as much regular water as sparkling water in a day.
    Well, off to bed. Good night everybody!
  • Quote: I found a soda pop called Nevia at the store the other day. In was in the "health food isle" or section of the the snack isle. They were there with he Hansen's and Blue Sky sodas. I didn't get any, but I will next time.
    I drink Zevia sweetened with Stevia. I like the ginger ale the best.
  • Quote: Today marks my one month anniversary on IP. If you had asked me 5 weeks ago if I could give up carbs and caffeine, I probably would have laughed at you. Now, here we are a month later with no carbs and no caffeine and I feel great! I'm losing weight, making better decisions for my family and becoming a healthier me. I am halfway to my first goal and today a coworker referred to me as the incredible shrinking woman. I heart IP. And I heart you guys. This forum is a huge part of why I'm succeeding on this program. Couldn't do it without you!

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly! I <3 IP! Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be able to get rid of this weight either. Keep at it, we can do it!
  • Quote: Does that include waters like seltzer water and Poland Spring bubbly water?
    Yes, unfortunately. I can't say it will be a killer for weight loss, but if you can do without, you'll be better off. Give it time and you'll learn to like the taste of water. I know that sounds silly.
  • Quote: I just had to share this in regards to drinking soda. I stopped drinking soda back in June from hearing this. It was REALLY REALLY hard at first, but I had a couple sips a few weeks after I stopped, and it wasn't very good at all! I was glad I cheated so I knew I never wanted to go back to drinking it. Hope that helps someone thinking about stopping drinking soda.

The Main Issue:

Soda has a pH of about 1.5 and normal blood pH is between 7.2 to 7.4

It takes 32 glasses of alkaline water at a pH of 9 to neutralize the acid on ONE 12 oz can of soda. Most people don't drink that much water, and if they do, it's just regular water, not water that has been alkalinized. So in order to keep your blood at a neutral pH, your body uses the only thing it has to buffer that acid...the calcium from your bones. For every can of soda, your body withdraws 20mg of calcium from the bones.

When your body is an extremely acidic state, that is when disease develops.
    That is an excellent reason why we shouldn't drink soda. Thanks - Ro

Quote: Yes, unfortunately. I can't say it will be a killer for weight loss, but if you can do without, you'll be better off. Give it time and you'll learn to like the taste of water. I know that sounds silly.
    My tastes have changed for many things since being on this diet. When I first started I hated Walden Farms products. I eat almost all of the dressings and chocolate syrups now. I loved Diet Pepsi and I have no desire for it now. I never ate spinach or other dark green lettuce and I can't eat anything but salad for lunch. This plan is so amazing - and when you think about it, our bodies are amazing. They just adjust and change things that we didn't even start out to do. It just keeps getting healthier.
  • Quote: Sometimes kids say the sweetest things.
    Congratulations on your success. Your child is not only sweet, but honest. That's what I love about children. If you ever wnat an honest opinion ask a child.
  • The new daily thread is now open.

This thread will be left open until later today. This will allow you to multi-quote posts from this thread and reply in the new thread.

Please be sure to place all new posts in the new daily thread, not in this thread.

Where do I post? Join us in the new daily chat thread for today.
  • Quote: Hello everyone, I hope you've all had a good past week. I've been gone to a conference for the past week and a half and am just getting back. I was very concerned that I was going to have problems staying on the diet while I was away. I went to Orlando and let me tell you it wasn't easy, but it wasn't nearly as hard as I expected it to be. I did a great job of staying on diet and getting restaurants to sub veggies for me. The thing that threw a wrench in my plans was my back went out while I was gone and I had to start medication for it. I found that if I didn't eat when I took my medicine I got loopy. I was very concerned but I called my coach and she told me that my back was more important and if I had to modify my diet to take the medicine it was no problem. After hearing that it made it easier for me and while I did have to stray a bit from the plan my goal was to come home and not have a net gain for the two weeks between my last WI and the one when I got home. Well last night was the big WI and I was so pleased. Not only did I not gain weight, but i had a loss of 4.4lbs! I also got measured last night. Yesterday was 2 months from the day I started (sept 9) and I can proudly say I've lost a total of 21.25 inches!! I am so excited about that and the fact that I didn't gain any weight while at my conference that I immediately called my parents who are also on the diet to tell them. It is a great feeling to know that I can travel and do things like that and stick to the plan. It really showed me that by sticking to the plan I see results so I was able to avoid the temptation of the cake and cookies in my office today.

If you read this far in my post, thanks. If you just skimmed my post thanks! The support from this forum really helps me stay on track.

Jess
    Good for you. I can tell at your young age you are learning great life long lessons. Keep up the good work, stay focused and keep the desire to have something you can have and deserve. Judy
  • Quote: I have an NSV to report. My husband, who has been very supportive over the past five months, actually said I looked SEXY last night. OMG!!! It is amazing how awesome that can make you feel. I bought a new black nightgown at Target yesterday. Really, nothing sexy, it just fits me as opposed to the old one that was falling off. That was as good as any little black dress story! Just wait til I lose that next 27 pounds. I'll knock his socks off.
    I too have been loosing for 5 months. 40 pounds makes a big difference. My husband has been very supportive. He has made some wonderful comments. You and I are very blessed. Any outfit in a smaller size makes a good story.