Seriously! What do you spend on Groceries per week?

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • I should probably sit down and figure out how much I spend on groceries... maybe I could budget better. It is about the only thing we spend money on any more. The problem is - where ever I go, it is usually a $100 tab.

BJ's Wholesale (weekly/biweekly): Diapers, TP, broccoli, eggs, dairy, OJ, carb balance wraps, peppers, bread, fruit cups, frozen spinach, salmon

Big Y (weekly/biweekly): more veggies, frozen meals, other frozen veggies, things I don't want to buy in bulk, fresh fish

Butcher Shop (once a month, if even): meats - turkey, chicken, pork, beef

I stock up on spices, barley, quinoa and other dried goods from a Mennonite store in PA when I am out visiting my parents.

Trader Joes (every 3 - 6 months): wine = 3 cases = $100 (though, I guess THAT doesn't count as "groceries")
  • Quote: We don't have cable television. We bought digital converter boxes, and the digital channels that come free are enough variety for us.

We watch movies online (but are considering Netflix or a similar program).
    We don't have cable... the price kept going up and up and we did away with it. (We do have cable internet) We were up to like $129 a mo for cable TV and internet (with NO movie channels). I thought it was outrageous! Now, we have internet for $29.99 and we bought a Roku box to watch the instant watch stuff on Netflix through our TV (you can also use it to rent movies through Amazon, listen to Pandora and a whole bunch of other things). The Roku was $100 (hubby used b-day money) and we dropped our netflix down to the lowest plan - 1 DVD at a time and unlimited instant watch. I think we pay like $8.99 +tax. So... we only pay like $39 a month when we used to pay $129. Cha Ching! Netflix has really expanded their selection, too. Tons of stuff for our toddler. Lots of new movies, old movies, anime for my hubby, TV shows for me. I am addicted. (can you tell?)

So - no cable, no land line (we do have cell phones), we don't go on vacations, we hardly ever go out to eat, etc. We really do ONLY spend our money on food.
  • We live in the lovely, relatively expensive San Diego area, eat mostly organic and high fiber foods, and are a family of four, though the two little ones are only 4 and 2, and I spend 200-250 every two weeks. I avoid packaged foods as much as possible, buy a lot of things in bulk, such as sushi rice, nuts, and whole grain pastas, and I go online to compare sales between my favorite stores to select who I will shop with this cycle. I usually buy the bulk of my groceries at a regular store and a few specialty items from Trader Joe's or Henry's Farmer's Market. That 200-250 includes diapers and wipes for my littlest.
  • I'm originally from San Diego and found the produce/food prices much cheaper there than anywhere else I've lived. I was kind of in shock when I moved from So Cal when I realized how much groceries cost more elsewhere. When I go visit my mom, I stock up on some dried beans/grains and also enjoy shopping for cheap fruits/veggies while I'm there