Maintainers moving in November!

You're on Page 7 of 8
Go to
  • My thoughts are with you, saef. In terms of time, I'm just a few steps ahead of you.

Gymn! Yes!

TM warm up plus ... 3 separate minutes running. Call it about 20-25 mins all in.

20 mins yoga and stretching.

I have new trainers (running shoes). Had my gait analysed on Friday by a great guy of about 24, a track runner with long legs. He treated me as a fellow athlete and reflected back to me (translating into runner speak) that I'd thought this pair of trainers were "a bit snappy". Fantastic. Watch out.
  • Saef -

Nov 22: rest day.
  • Quote: Nov. 21: 37 minutes elliptical (short on time today)

Totals: 17 days
    952 minutes
    Hugs to you Saef on the loss of your father. My father died three years ago and my mom ten. It hits me hard some times of the year.

Nov. 22: 65 minutes boxing boot camp

Totals: 18 days
    1017 minutes
  • Quote: Hugs to you Saef on the loss of your father. My father died three years ago and my mom ten. It hits me hard some times of the year.

Nov. 22: 65 minutes boxing boot camp

Totals: 18 days
    1017 minutes
    Nov. 23: 60 minutes elliptical

Totals: 19 days
    1077 minutes
  • Thanks, all. And Michele, you're right, this is one of the hard times of the year.

As I get older, I realize we've all had our losses & a lot of us see absences at the dinner table on Thanksgiving Day and on Christmas morning. It makes these holidays a tinge more somber for us than when we were younger, innocent & greedy & could afford to take everyone around us for granted.

I am trying to reflect on the past lovingly, rather than sadly. It's all just part of being an adult.

Wednesday, November 24:

45 minute spin class, at 6 AM, quite well-attended on the day before Thanksgiving. The usual jokes about being there so they can eat well tomorrow. The spin instructor said something that struck me as poignant: "I just want to have a piece of bread. I don't even want pie." Yes, this was the spin instructor speaking, the woman with the amazing tanned abs & the navel jewelry. All she wants is a piece of bread, once a year. Such a modest desire.

Afterward, 45 minute Pilates routine on my own, and then I used the foam roller for the small of my back, which now feels amazingly good. I know what I want for Christmas.
  • Nov 23 - ran on treadmill, 2.25 miles in 25:56 @5.2mph, plus 5 min warmup, 5 min cooldown. Also did 3x10 wall push-ups and one set of triceps with a 6lb medicine ball. Plus stretching.

Nov 24 - none planned.

I feel like such a slacker. Amazing to me that I can feel like a slacker for having two rest days in a week. When did that happen? I have been slacking on the strength training though, because my legs were overworked and my wrists were acting up. Not sure if I should go back yet or if I should leave some more recovery time.
  • Quote: Nov. 23: 60 minutes elliptical

Totals: 19 days
    1077 minutes
    Nov. 24: tried a (new to me) class today. LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!
    UJAM 65 minutes (pretty much a hip hop dance class-- the instructor described it as Zumba on steroids with a hip hop slant)

Totals: 20 days
    1142 minutes
  • On Thanksgiving morning, Thursday, Nov. 25, I got to the gym just minutes after it opened and the treadmills were going & many ellipticals were taken already. Lots of people at the gym this morning.

Arc trainer, 60 minutes, hill intervals, resistance at 9, for 2.20 miles, which seems paltry.

Now into the car & off to drive for about five hours.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!
  • Nov. 26, The Day After

Went to the gym in the village where my mother lives, where I have a guest pass with a certain number of visits. (Which the guy at the desk forgets to take off the card, if he's one of the younger ones sitting in for the regular older guys.) This was a nice gym about four years ago, but it's aging badly because they're not keeping up with maintenance on the equipment. I tried a Concept II rowing machine & the resistance was shot. Something is wrong with the drive chain. Also, I wish their free weights included intermediate weights like 7 lbs, 12 lbs, 17 lbs. Nevertheless, I got in my workout

60 minutes on Nautilus brand elliptical, intervals, hills at 8, resting at 5
    45 minutes free weights
  • Nov 25 (Thanksgiving) - ran 1.67 miles in the rain with the dog, 20:21

Nov 26 - swam a teeny bit over 1 mile (actual distance 1800 yards), 44:57, busting my PR by almost 5 minutes In the process busted my ~500m (550yd) PR also at 13:37 (previous was 15:08).

Saef, at the gym I used to go to the rower was like that. Zero resistance no matter what you set it to.
  • Quote: Nov. 24: tried a (new to me) class today. LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!
    UJAM 65 minutes (pretty much a hip hop dance class-- the instructor described it as Zumba on steroids with a hip hop slant)

Totals: 20 days
    1142 minutes
    Nov. 25: Turkey Day Boot Camp 70 minutes

Nov. 26: Zumba 65 minutes

Totals: 22 days
    1277 minutes
  • Jessica, nice work on the new records!

November 25:
    5K Turkey Trot, 26:07
    Ran there and back for a total of about 5.5 miles

November 26:
    ~5.7 mile meandering route through my inlaws' lovely town
    63 minutes (includes popping into a toy store to check out their puzzles)
  • Saturday, November 27:
    60 minutes stationery bike, alpine pass setting, resistance at 9, not quite 15 miles
    30 minutes Pilates routine, a relief to work my abs a little

This was so worth it, because at the antique show, I picked up some vintage clothing. For those interested in the whole size creep thing, I'm a size 10 in modern sizes, pretty much, sometimes an 8 in my upper body, as I'm pear-shaped. In vintage from the early to mid-1980s, I am a 13/14.

Sunday, November 28:
    60 minutes Nautilus elliptical, intervals, 8 and 5
    60 minutes weights
  • Quote: Nov. 25: Turkey Day Boot Camp 70 minutes

Nov. 26: Zumba 65 minutes

Totals: 22 days
    1277 minutes
    Nov. 27: 40 minutes elliptical

Nov. 28: 45 minutes elliptical

Totals: 24 days
    1362 minutes
  • Monday, November 29:
    60 minutes stationary bike, resistance at 9, so it felt more like strength training than a cardio session
    30 minute Pilates routine on my own