Maintainers moving in November!

You're on Page 2 of 8
Go to
  • AmytheSame, the Health Fair counselor was doing portable blood tests on all comers -- quite informal, non-fasting -- and said my HDL levels were a bit low, and that to raise them, I needed to get more exercise. They also told me they thought I should lose five more pounds.

I was incredulous at first about their saying I needed to do more exercise, then crestfallen, then terribly discouraged and angry. But other 3FC members on the Operation 5-10 Pounds thread talked me out of taking it too seriously. Kind of. Because it's still bothering me a little.

So, anyway ....

Thursday, Nov. 4:
    60 minutes Pilates class
    60 minutes arc trainer, intervals, resistance at 8

I'm questioning my routine suddenly. Maybe I need some kind of change. I booked a one-on-one half-hour training session for this coming Monday with one of the Pilates instructors at the gym. I will ask her to confirm or tweak the routine I've been working on, on my own, outside of the gym's twice-a-week Pilates classes. I plan to use my trainer sessions strategically, to check my form & set up something for me to work on by myself. ("Works well independently" is one of my longstanding evaluation comments. But I run with scissors, too.)
  • Quote: Nov. 3: 65 minutes spin class

Totals:
    3 days
    165 minutes
    Nov. 4: 50 minutes hip hop class (didn't stay for the last 10 minutes of ab work since my tailbone still hurts)

Totals:
    4 days
    215 minutes
  • Friday, Nov. 5:
    60 minutes elliptical, resistance at 8, just over six miles
    60 minutes weights

At some point on the elliptical, I felt really tired, and couldn't believe I'd be doing weights afterward. But after I got off, and drank some water, and started on the weights, I found I'd been blessed with one of those freakish days -- I never know what causes them -- when I feel unusually strong & when the routine I've been doing feels a bit easy.

Anyway, I feel much better today than I have for the past two days. Once again, commitment triumphs over motivation, and motivation is spontaneously revived.
  • saef - hurray!

Gymn yesterday (warm up and 20 mins yoga and stretching)
    Gymn today
    TM warm up
    Full body work out - 1 set each (easing in)

I feel stronger, more flexible and am also thinner for my two weeks off.
    N.B. Most of that time was spent lifting timber about and using the hand saw.
  • Quote: Once again, commitment triumphs over motivation, and motivation is spontaneously revived.
    ^I love this!^ May be my new mantra...

Friday, Nov 5:
    Yoga for Athletes -- 60 minutes

This is a class at my gym -- and it totally kicked my butt! Fun, lighthearted instructor, but very demanding! Yow! Exclamation point!
  • Quote: Nov. 4: 50 minutes hip hop class (didn't stay for the last 10 minutes of ab work since my tailbone still hurts)

Totals:
    4 days
    215 minutes
    Nov. 5: 40 minutes elliptical

Totals:
    5 days
    255 minutes
  • 45 min spin
    1hr walk
  • Saturday, Nov. 6:
    10:06 minutes rowing on Concept II, 1,873 meters, 38 s/m, 2:35 for 500 meter
    45 minute spin class
    60 minutes Pilates class

Incidental movement in the afternoon walking around in the Village, buying girly stuff (cosmetics at Sephora, eye cream at Kiehl's, thrifting for blouses), going to the movies. Oh my God, that movie "Winter's Bone" (which has probably just come out on video, because it's about to disappear from the Village Cinema) was excellent. Grim, since it takes place in Meth-Land, but inspiring. What a great 17-year-old heroine. Such strength & resolve. This, along with "The Social Network," is one of my favorite movies so far this year. That actress better get some love during awards season.
  • Quote: Nov. 5: 40 minutes elliptical

Totals:
    5 days
    255 minutes
    Nov. 6: 30 min. walk, 30 min. elliptical, 15 min. strength training (75 min.)

Totals:
    6 days
    330 minutes

Bootcamp 60min
    Walk 65min
  • Sunday, Nov. 7:
    15:05 minutes on Concept II rower, 2,863 meters, 37 s/m, 2:26 500 meter, projected 5,920
    60 minutes weights
    45 minute spin class
  • Nov 5: rest day

Nov 6: ran 4 miles, 49:25 (12:18 pace!) plus warmup/cooldown/stretching. Right knee and hip complained toward the end, I should probably ice them today.

Nov 7: swam 20 laps of drills: fist, thigh touch, touch and go, one-armed swimming rotation drill. I finally figured out the right words to communicate to DH how to kick properly, and he is now able to kick himself across the pool instead of just sinking. Yay!
  • Nov 6:
    Recover from Athletic Yoga
    Started with sore back muscles
    Finished with sore core muscles -- every core muscle

Nov 7:
    Wake up with sore hip flexors! Uh-oh.
    10K race
    51:49!
    And I just can't get over myself.
  • Quote: Nov. 6: 30 min. walk, 30 min. elliptical, 15 min. strength training (75 min.)

Totals:
    6 days
    330 minutes
    Nov. 7: 35 minutes elliptical

Totals:
    7 days
    365 minutes
  • Nov 8: warmup walk, then ran 2.59 miles 32:03 with dog, cooldown walk, stretching

Funny how I run so much slower when I don't bring my iPod.