Vegan Pizza??

• i'm dying for pizza, even the lamest version pizza that is out there, i don't care, i'll give it a try!! i am vegan so it needs to be cheeseless. Any thoughts, ideas, recipes, or websites? thx!

(since i don't have a signature~~high is 258, current, 238, goal????)
    i'm a new vegan! it has changed my life and my appetite. the only thing i miss is pizza

• I like to take a pita bread and brush with a little olive oil (I use smoked olive oil) then top with chopped sundried tomatoes, mushrooms (any kind other than button so they offer flavor), onions, etc, and fresh herbs, and bake it. I don't add sauce, but if I have some sweet cherry tomatoes I'll add those.

• If you want cheese too, there is a brand called Daiya that I found at whole foods that (I believe) is vegan. It does not contain caesin or any dairy or animal products, so you may be interested in looking into it. I actually didn't mind it when I had it. It was no mozzarella, but it was palatable. Just thought I would throw that out there for you.
  • Papa John's sauce and pizza crust is vegan. Skip the cheese, replace with tons of veggies and VIOLA! take-out vegan pizza. Obviously watch for portions- just because it's vegan doesn't mean it's great for you! <3
  • I do cheeseless pizzas and I like them. You can buy some cheese-like products but personally I rather not use them.

Here is a sauce you could try:
    http://veganconnection.com/recipes/pizza_cheese.htm

You could also do something like a pesto sauce or a cashew/garlic sauce and just pile with veggies.
  • If you're new to un-cheese, please don't try Daiya. Please. You'll expect it to be like cheese, and instead you'll find a waxy mouth-feel and a gloopy mess. If you positively must eat Daiya, use it very sparingly until you determine you like it.

We make cheeseless pizza at our house, we make a very flavorful chunky sauce and pile the veggies on.
  • Make your own. You can usually buy dough at a supermarket, then I add pesto (find cheeseless), arugula, mushrooms, onions. Or bbq sauce, crumbled baked tofu, red onions, spinach. Olive tapenade with thinly sliced eggplant and roasted red peppers.

Think outside the red sauce/no cheese box.
  • You can also make your own pesto easily enough. I like to add spinach to my pesto.
  • ive made me own. i loved it! the dough recipe was is here: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=31477.0

then I would put canned tomato sauce with delicious veggies on top, sliced tomatoes, spinach leaves, mushrooms, onions...anything you want! I even made a bunch and made it with my whole family little kids included and everyone really enjoyed it!
  • thank you for the suggestions! i bought store brand pizza crust and added boboli pizza sauce and mushrooms, tomato's, onions and spinach, it was really good.

Does anyone know of another brand of sauce? i liked the taste of the boboli but it had HFCS and i try to steer clear. The crust was OK. i looked at boboli crust and it had cheese in it so i had to try another route-it tasted like a croissant though. So i may try some new things next time.

But i had to do it for the sake of my cravings and it was good. i think i just needed the confidence to try thank you all. Keep the suggestions coming because i am keeping them all for the future!

jen
  • i make my own dough and then smother my pizza in veggies and some mock meats. im not too big on mock cheese.
  • I've made my own vegan pizza before. I made the dough myself, used store bought sauce, topped it with shredded "Follow your Heart Vegan Gourmet" cheese and veggies, and it was good! I like the Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet cheese because it does melt like cow cheese does so it gives that visual of melty cheese on your pizza.
  • I make my own dough - not vegan, but I have an inspiring vegan cookbook and and am a big fan of veganism!

I've made great pesto sauce pizzas. Yummy!