IP Daily Chat - Tues. 26 Oct. 2010

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • Quote: I work for a school that supplies 3 meals a day and has a full size kitchen. A birthday being celebrated today with one of my favorite cakes, chocolate with peanut butter. I did not have one bite - but I did bring a big ole piece home for my family. I got stuck at work without an IP meal so I ended up eating chicken and cucumbers w/very little ranch dressing for lunch. Hope that does not kick me out of ketosis!

Like this forum posts there will be other cakes just as good when we get to the point that we can eat them.

I have never not taken a bite of cake here and there.
    Congrats, cmsgrrl!!! I have never met a cake or cookie or candy that I did not like!!! I used to eat them thoughtlessly - just because they were there!! Now it helps that I am so full from eating the correct amount of veges, drinking all my water! Good job!!

Where is our fav info girl, Carla aka showgirlz??? I miss her!
  • Quote: NSV - Check out my Avatar! Those "were" my work pants a month ago!!!!!!
    Love it!!

My dress pants that I wore to church on Sunday looked baggy on me too, but I wore it with my oversize top and no one noticed. Can't wait to buy new ones! Looks like you've got some shopping to do as well.
  • I was able to wear medium scrubs today at work for the first time! YIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
  • Quote: I was able to wear medium scrubs today at work for the first time! YIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    Congrats! It feels wonderful doesn't it? Good job! Keep up the great work!
  • Quote: I wish someone (I'm Svelting!!) would add to the opening bits that what you see online is your avatar and the photo they are asking about is what shows when you click on a user profile to help us newbies out!
    The forum has a help section. It seems I edited that link out of the first post. Oops! Just go to the main page and it's in the very first section "Announcements and Forum Help"

Pulled from some other discussion threads:
    Quote: Did anyone have their hair loss start in phase 4? I didn't lose hair any more than normal during phase 1-3, and now all of a sudden, it's coming out in handfulls. What's up with that?? I thought once my diet was more balanced again, I'd be in the clear.
    Quote: Just wondering from those who have experienced/are experiencing hair loss...

I have been losing a LOT of hair for almost a month and a half now. Just wondering from people who have lost hair as well how long it lasted before it stopped... I started with THICK hair so I wasn't too worried, but now I'm starting to get a little worried the thinner my hair gets. Thanks.
    I started noticing a lot more hair coming out when brushing and washing my hair in late September/early October. It's also a huge annoyance on the furniture and floor! What IP is going make me run the vacuum, now? Cripes, maybe a regular housekeeper should come with the program!

The phenomenon is called telogen effluvium, which is the medical term for acute hair loss due to a metabolic, hormonal or drug stress. Dr. Michael Eades (the Mister Doctor of the couple who wrote Protein Power) wrote about VLC (very low carb) diets and hair loss on his blog in November 2007. This post refers to a specific diet that isn't IP but the information about the process is still useful. I can't post the link because 3FC censors the name of the diet and the author uses the name in the page address. If you Google < michael eades blog "telogen effluvium" > Eades's blog post is the first result. He responded to every commenter for 15 months! And he's very encouraging about temporary nature of the hair loss.

A point of clarification: the other diet that is referenced is extremely unhealthy (that's why the name is censored by 3fatchicks) and the "developer" of it was revealed to be a complete fraud. I am not suggesting that anyone follow that diet. For what it's worth, I'd rather be fat than take those risks.
  • Quote: The phenomenon is called telogen effluvium, which is the medical term for acute hair loss due to a metabolic, hormonal or drug stress. Dr. Michael Eades (the Mister Doctor of the couple who wrote Protein Power) wrote about VLC (very low carb) diets and hair loss on his blog in November 2007. This post refers to a specific diet that isn't IP but the information about the process is still useful. I can't post the link because 3FC censors the name of the diet and the author uses the name in the page address. If you Google [ michael eades blog "telogen effluvium" ] this page is the first result. He responded to every commenter for 15 months! And he's very encouraging about temporary nature of the hair loss.
    Thanks! I'm gonna google that right now!
  • EEEK! So I guess that my plans of growing my hair longer for my wedding in July is out of the question! As long as my re-growth of hair doesn't resemble a mullet, I'm good to go!
  • Quote: I was able to wear medium scrubs today at work for the first time! YIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    Congratulations!
  • Quote: The forum has a help section. It seems I edited that link out of the first post. Oops! Just go to the main page and it's in the very first section "Announcements and Forum Help"
    Thank you!

Quote: The phenomenon is called telogen effluvium, which is the medical term for acute hair loss due to a metabolic, hormonal or drug stress. Dr. Michael Eades (the Mister Doctor of the couple who wrote Protein Power) wrote about VLC (very low carb) diets and hair loss on his blog in November 2007. This post refers to a specific diet that isn't IP but the information about the process is still useful. I can't post the link because 3FC censors the name of the diet and the author uses the name in the page address. If you Google [ michael eades blog "telogen effluvium" ] this page is the first result. He responded to every commenter for 15 months! And he's very encouraging about temporary nature of the hair loss.
    When I get to the point where my hair is falling out I'll remember this post - thankfully it sounds like your hair will grow back!
  • Quote: EEEK! So I guess that my plans of growing my hair longer for my wedding in July is out of the question! As long as my re-growth of hair doesn't resemble a mullet, I'm good to go!
    My hairstylist recommended that I use a GNC supplement for Hair, Nails and Skin. I was having nail issues and I was worried about the skin issue and so I figured the hair was a bonus. I haven't had any hair loss and my hair seems to be growing pretty quickly.
  • Hello IPers.
    I need to go off ip for two weeks. I need to be on a low iodine diet for that period.
    My IP coach plans on moving me quickly to phase 2 & then 3 prior to my break.

Any ideas why? I was just thinking of doing phase 1, breaking and the back to phase one.

Thx
  • Quote: WI yesterday. Lost 6.4! I'm so excited. I've now lost 33.4 in the last 7 weeks.

I'm getting ready to go to a conference this next week in Orlando and I just hope that I do as well.

Jess
    You will - just have a plan. When I go to conferences or long workshops, I pack my protein stuff and take cut up vegies in zip lock bags and bottled water. I carry it all up to my hotel room (or roll it up there) and put it in the refrigerator. It is so nice that most of the convention hotels now have microwaves and refrigerators in the rooms. If the lunches are provided, I salvage what I can - usually salad and I pull my WF dressing out of my purse. When the group goes out for dinner I order grilled chicken or salmon and salad. If they have grilled vegetables I will get those and count the oil as my 2 tsp for the day. Good luck - I know you will do great!

Quote: I was able to wear medium scrubs today at work for the first time! YIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    Don't you love that feeling - I am so happy for you. Congratulations!

Quote: Hello IPers.
    I need to go off ip for two weeks. I need to be on a low iodine diet for that period.

Any ideas why? I was just thinking of doing phase 1, breaking and the back to phase one.

Thx
    If you go from phase one to regular eating it startles the pancreas. When people say they are going to phase off of the plan that is exactly what they are doing. They go from phase one to phase two, phase two to phase three, etc. This gradually wakes the pancreas up and at this point it is "reset" to help out with the insulin we need from the carbs we eat. Hopefully w/o gaining weight.
  • No speeding tickets here!
    Quote:
    I came up with a fun analogy for my weight loss on IP -- Phase 1 was the "express lanes" or maybe the "autobahn" of weight loss. Over the last week, I've moved to the collector lanes -- Phase 2. I'll probably cruise along here for a while before heading for the off-ramp -- Phase 3.
    Very nice analogy I'm Svelting!

Thank you for all you do!
  • Quote: I work for a school that supplies 3 meals a day and has a full size kitchen. A birthday being celebrated today with one of my favorite cakes, chocolate with peanut butter. I did not have one bite - but I did bring a big ole piece home for my family. I got stuck at work without an IP meal so I ended up eating chicken and cucumbers w/very little ranch dressing for lunch. Hope that does not kick me out of ketosis!

Like this forum posts, there will be other cakes just as good when we get to the point that we can eat them.

I have never not taken a bite of cake here and there.
    GREAT JOB! you are TOTALLY getting into the new way of looking at your life, which will allow you to keep the weight off forever.
    I realized when I got to the point that passing up something like that did not make me feel "panicked" it was a big deal...and you are SO there.
    I can tell you (looking back from Phase 4) that once you go into maintenance you will never look at cake the same way. It will always be a kind of, "huh, I used to freak out to eat that stuff. I'm guessing it doesn't taste like that weird memory I have of cake being vital to life...now it just tastes like other food." YAY YOU!!

Quote: I was able to wear medium scrubs today at work for the first time! YIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    so happy for you, I know how good that feels!

Quote: Hello IPers.

Thx
    I second what RO said, if you have the time, then do the phase off. It will make you feel a lot better in the long run.

Quote: WI yesterday. Lost 6.4! I'm so excited. I've now lost 33.4 in the last 7 weeks.

I'm getting ready to go to a conference this next week in Orlando and I just hope that I do as well.
    CONGRATS! Be sure to check out the "traveling on IP" sticky, lots of great ideas in there for making it work. If you check a bag and take some RTDs it can really help. You'll do great, it's all about planning and you are already planning!
  • THE WORST NSV ever!
    You know when you get fat and your rings no longer fit on your sausage fingers! Well I am now have the reverse problem spinning sliding jingling! And I still have 20 lbs to go!