Cabbage rolls

• We make our own cabbage rolls, and we're making some tomorrow. I don't want to over indulge, but when we make these we tend to eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner. Obviously I will not be doing this. I would like to be able to eat two a day, but if I can only have one, I will. I say this because I don't know how many calories it is.

I figured this:

1 leaf of cabbage- 8 calories (it's wrapped in 1 large cabbage leaf)
    1 cup of tomato juice- 45 calories (it's boiled in tomato juice)
    There's some rice in there, too, but it's so small I don't know if I'm even going to attempt to count it.

then it's made by mixing ground beef and ground pork together. I figured 1 cup of ground beef at 312 calories, and the pork at 227. But it's combine, so should I cut each number in half, then add them together to get the estimated total? Or should I just round up, over-calculate to be sure?

For the most part I get calorie counting, but when we make our own things it gets difficult for me to figure it out. And it's sort of a big deal, because we make 2 big pots and that can last us a week.

Any advice/suggestions?
  • I love cabbage rolls. I use lean ground turkey in them with a bit of beef bouillon mixed in. My husband gobbled them down not knowing they were made with turkey and told me they're even better than before (with ground beef). lol
  • I use this site:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

You can put the entire recipe in and then figure out the calorie count per roll once they're made.
  • Quote: I use this site:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

You can put the entire recipe in and then figure out the calorie count per roll once they're made.
    Oh wow this will help a LOT! THANK YOU!
  • YW! I use it a lot. With something like cabbage rolls, it's easy to get the per roll count.
  • Quote: YW! I use it a lot. With something like cabbage rolls, it's easy to get the per roll count.
    Yeah wow, I'll use this a lot! It's better than estimating everything myself, which can sometimes be difficult.
  • is there a low fat version of this? would it work with chicken instead?
  • Quote: is there a low fat version of this? would it work with chicken instead?
    I'm not sure, but I don't see why not! I figure it would taste just as good. Just when you roll the chicken into the leaf, don't forget to cut out the little square of stem. They're really hard and not very enjoyable to eat lol. I'll look for a low fat version if you want one.
  • that sounds great! i remember really liking these when i was a child. my grandma didn't make them often. of course nothing was low fat lol. and hopefully the kids would love them too. so far i'm the only one that likes cabbage. at sometimes 15 cents/lb its worth a try
  • Quote: that sounds great! i remember really liking these when i was a child. my grandma didn't make them often. of course nothing was low fat lol. and hopefully the kids would love them too. so far i'm the only one that likes cabbage. at sometimes 15 cents/lb its worth a try
    http://www.weightlossmommy.com/low-f...ls-recipe.html is all I could find so far.

also what's really good is cabbage soup, basically the same thing only in a soup and it'sso yummy! idk about calories or fat though lol!