October Feathers Let's Chat

You're on Page 5 of 15
Go to
  • Happy Monday, feathers!

It's a new week and I'm making some plans. I'm trying to work out a new exercise routine to incorporate more dedicated strength-training and running. Still working on it...

My weight is a tiny bit up - 0.6 lbs, haha - but that's good, it will into gear. Funny, but this weight (137.0) was what I was OVERJOYED to see a few days ago. Perspective shifts quickly, no?

When I first found out about the Beck Diet Solution, I set a goal of 5 lbs lost. I forgot what my "reward" was ...
    Still waiting though, as that will be @ 136.0. Maybe this week?

Have a *rewarding* week, all!
  • Quote: I'll be back on the wagon in the morning, I promise. A weekend of traveling and birthday celebrations have really messed with me. I've stuck to my eating window for the most part but I've made terrible choices and consumed too many calories.

It's Thanksgiving in Canada so I'll just say I'm thankful I get to start over tomorrow.
    You're not alone! I had a long weekend out of town and let's just say that was 5 ice creams in 4 days plus a bunch of junk food, sangria and hearty hot meals. Total disregard for everything. On the plus side, I didn't feel obsessive or nervous about it, which suggests I'm calming down and becoming more neutral toward food.

No gain though! And yesterday was sensible so it should have had time to even out.

Reading all your plans for enjoying fall makes me super homesick! The weather in southern Japan can't decide if it wants to be summer or fall yet. As a result it's beautiful and warm most days, but the leaves won't change until November or December. That hike I was talking about last week has been moved to this weekend, but Saturday seems so far away. Today I'm swamped with lesson prep for my special ed visit school and for a volunteering English conversation class with businessmen tonight. I'm nervous about the night class - I've never taught a large group of adults before!
  • Hello Feathers!

Just a quick check-in before I get to bed (too late, again -- I was on a roll with three nights in bed @ 10 pm -- heaven!).

Kat, I love farmers' markets! I love meeting the producers, browsing the beautiful fruits/veggies/flowers, spending $19 on a chicken -- what!?!?!? Yep, I spent $19 on a regular ol' chicken at the farmers' market. It tasted just like chicken. But, as my sister pointed out, I had the satisfaction of "knowing it had lived a happy chicken life" (as opposed to the bad conditions of mass-produced chicken). She runs a farmers' market in Ohio so she's a little biased.

Emma, funny how the "super-happy" weight so quickly becomes the "OK, let's get moving again" weight. Sounds like you're on a roll though!

Krampus, yum on the ice cream and sangria. I ate a lot of green tea soft-serve in Japan. It has been hot here as well. Fall is my favorite season, so I feel like I'm being cheated with these warm days, and the leaves are way behind schedule. It's supposed to get cold tomorrow or the next day. Let us know how it goes with the businessmen!

I'm hanging in here, super busy with kids, husband's crazy schedule, all the usual boring life stuff. Looking forward to a cocktail party this weekend and then my getaway next weekend for my reunion (traveling without DH and kids, staying with my BFF since age 12, seeing my other dear girlfriends from high school, CAN'T WAIT!!!).
  • Yep, happy it's a new day and week ... I discovered this pumpkin cheese cake that is to die for, I usually never go for deserts but this one, oh my decadent... I didn't weigh in today I just felt too bloated...
  • I was feeling a little bloated this morning, but am finally feeling a little better now!
  • Hi Feathers! Things haven't been too great here. I found out that I didn't get that job I interviewed for. I was sad, but it's for the best I think. Then on Friday I came down with a stomach bug, and spent the weekend really sick. I'm much better now, but my appetite is terrible. I'm eating more, but the idea of actual healthy food is really grossing me out still. Hopefully by next week I'm back to eating salad and fruit (gag).

My weight is down obviously, but I'm not going to count it until next week.

Amy your trips sounds amazing! I would love a babyfree getaway right about now! Have fun!
  • Ainselymom - Sorry to hear about not getting the job. But you are right, its probably for the best. Everything happens for a reason! I am a FIRM believer in that. But I also put all my faith in God, so when something doesnt work out, I KNOW its for the best because of him Sorry to get all spiritual. Thats just my thoughts on it!

I see you are very close to your goal #1 - New shoes on the horizon for you
  • Hi feathers!
    I'm home for the week from school, and unfortunately I scared my parents pretty badly (and my family friend, who is a nurse) with my appearance--they all think I look very scrawny. Thus, my dad is requiring me to email him an update on my weight every Friday, because if I lose any more (I'm at 119-120 right now) he's going to consider pulling me out of school to get me help.
    This was really discouraging to hear, because I thought for sure I was doing it right, but perhaps I've gone a little too far. I've been relaxing a bit, eating two bananas at breakfast instead of one and adding foods like dried fruit and nuts to my diet. I really only want to gain a few pounds, enough to stop being able to see my ribs from the back and not have my spine grind into the ground when I do pilates on my back.
    I'm going to talk to my nurse friend this week to see if she can give me some pointers. I don't want to return to where I was, but I don't want to continue losing weight, either.
  • Quote: Hi feathers!
    I'm home for the week from school, and unfortunately I scared my parents pretty badly (and my family friend, who is a nurse) with my appearance--they all think I look very scrawny. Thus, my dad is requiring me to email him an update on my weight every Friday, because if I lose any more (I'm at 119-120 right now) he's going to consider pulling me out of school to get me help.
    This was really discouraging to hear, because I thought for sure I was doing it right, but perhaps I've gone a little too far. I've been relaxing a bit, eating two bananas at breakfast instead of one and adding foods like dried fruit and nuts to my diet. I really only want to gain a few pounds, enough to stop being able to see my ribs from the back and not have my spine grind into the ground when I do pilates on my back.
    I'm going to talk to my nurse friend this week to see if she can give me some pointers. I don't want to return to where I was, but I don't want to continue losing weight, either.
    YOu have me so curious as to what you look like. 120 at 5'6 is on the lower end but I dont think low enough to scare people. Maybe it's just a big difference from when they saw you months ago? Do you have any pics to share? Sorry if that is too forward and you dont feel comfortable showing pictures but I'm sure you look great!
  • I was wondering that too. When my family was used to me at 200lb, 130 scared the life out of them but now a few years (and another baby) later they just think I look normal.

I've discovered that 12-5 does NOT work for me for fast5. I eat lunch, snack, dinner and dessert on that frame whereas on 5-10 I had dinner, snack and dessert only sometimes. So today my fast is 24 hours to get back to eating at 5. I'm at 128 as of this morning and my goal is 2 weeks away. I'm very unlikely to make my goal by then but I'm not stressing about it because I know that this plan is working and long term it's sustainable for me. I'll get there.

By the way, I bought some new tea that I just LOVE. Republic of Tea Apple Cider Tea. 0 calories, warm and fallish.
  • Diane,
    I say I'm 5'6" because that's what I last remember my doctor saying, but that was several years ago. My mom maintains she's 5'7", and I'm a bit taller than her, so she's probably 5'6"ish and I may be more like 5'7", putting my present BMI at 18.8, putting me 2-3 pounds away from being underweight.
    Honestly, I'm no longer worried about my weight, and yes, it's just that--the difference between where they saw me in the lower 130s in August and now at 120 even is causing the concern. Furthermore, when I sit down now I can feel the lower two points of my hip bone touching the floor and if I rock back a bit, I can feel my tailbone on the floor. Furthermore, I can feel my spine whenever I sit in a hard chair or against the wall, and it isn't terribly comfortable.
    I didn't think I had let it go too far until I started to pay attention based on what others were saying. I thought "Awesome! My stomach is flat and my big, tree-trunk thighs are slimmer!," while my parents thought "her shoulder bones jut out of her body" and my sister, watching me change, told my mom she was concerned because she could see my ribs from the back.
    So I'm going to lighten up a little. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I did what I always do. When I commit to something, I always try to go over and beyond (not bragging, but I've gotten a 3.8, 3.9, 4.0, and 4.0 GPAs for my first four semesters of college that I have done so far; just as an illustration--when I do something, I go all the way or beyond). I've eaten mostly vegetables and fruits, some whole grains and beans and dairy, peanut butter, and egg whites at school, so I'm thinking adding a little bit of nuts and dried fruit into my routine will add the just a little bit more for which I am looking.
  • Good morning feathers! I've not had any losses since hitting 132-133 last week...too much eating. Last night was an English conversation class with businessmen who turned out to be mostly cute mid-thirties working class guys in suits, and it was FUN! The "free dinner" turned out to be a full blown buffet with lots of beer, but I stayed in relative moderation (and ate super lightly in preparation). Except the roasted buttered corn on the cob - I put some in a doggie bag and then ate it in the car on the way home. That's what beer does (don't worry, there was a designated driver). 60.2 kg again this morning.

ainsleymom, sorry to hear about the double whammy. wishing you a quick recovery and hope you get your appetite back!

oneoftwelve, sounds like it might be painful for you to be that thin with bones grinding on chairs and such! maybe lightening up a little is a good idea so you can focus your type-A energy on school instead of weight stuff (which you have no need to now anyway ^_^).

Changed, that tea sounds DELICIOUS. I wish they made it in Japan. What exactly is fast5?

thesame7lbs - I'm not big on green tea ice cream any more now that it's available everywhere, but the soft serve is really nice. I'm pretty much ice creamed out for a while though I think.
  • Morning, all! Well, I'm on another mini plateau, so I figured I'd announce it, since the last time I did that suddenly I dropped two pounds all at once. Here's hoping that happens again! *hee hee*

I did the goofiest workout this morning. I'd jogged two miles but wanted a few more minutes of something else, so I popped in this ancient Denise Austin tape from the late '80s just because it's only a half an hour long. I swear I haven't done this thing for at least a decade. It was HILARIOUS. Big hair, leotards, crazy music. I was laughing through most of it until the exercises themselves actually got a little difficult. Then I had to admit that hey, sometimes even oldies actually pack a punch! Still, what a fun and goofy way to start the day.

Quote: Kat, I love farmers' markets! I love meeting the producers, browsing the beautiful fruits/veggies/flowers, spending $19 on a chicken -- what!?!?!? Yep, I spent $19 on a regular ol' chicken at the farmers' market. It tasted just like chicken. But, as my sister pointed out, I had the satisfaction of "knowing it had lived a happy chicken life" (as opposed to the bad conditions of mass-produced chicken). She runs a farmers' market in Ohio so she's a little biased.
    Hey, I'm in Ohio! Maybe I frequent your sister's market! Who knows! I've never spent almost 20 bucks on a chicken, but I regularly spend $10 for the most amazing, fiber-rich bread. People wait in 15-minute lines for the stuff. It's awesome. (Obviously I'm not doing a low-carb thing. )
  • Hello Feathers,
    I'm back from London, where I went for a scientific conference followed by a few days of R&R alone with the hubby (No kids. NO KIDS!). Needless to say, I was up nearly 4 pounds on my return, which has dropped back to 2 pounds today (131.6). The crepes, dim sum and pear-almond tart were worth it (heresy, I know), but since I'm back in town, I'm back on plan.

It's wonderful to see all of you posting here. I really really appreciate having this group to turn to, for encouragement, commiseration and advice. It's a HUGE help, and lots of fun. Thanks for being here ladies.

Andrea
  • That sounds great, Neurodoc - esp the NO KIDS and pear almond tart parts!

The nice thing about vacation weight is that it falls off almost effortlessly as soon as you go back on plan (but then again I'm 23, maybe I just don't know any better!). e.g. Over the summer I went home (Albany, NY) for 2 weeks with a Japanese friend and ate like a baby pig. I gained 7 lbs and lost them within 2 weeks.

Today was an "on plan" sort of day and I ran. Tried interval sprints which were unpleasant at best to mix it up.