trying to lose the meds

• I have been on Lexapro and Klonapin for many years it has ruined my sex life and makes me want to sleep all the time. I have no energy and have become so stationary that I have put on alot of weight. I don't have the drive to get up and move. I want to take back my life, trying to wean off the lexapro slowly. Any advice would be welcome???
  • Trying to lose the meds!
  • Please, please do it under the supervision of a doctor. For optimum safety and comfort it just makes sense to have a professional monitoring your physical and emotional health. Good luck!
  • Hi there and Welcome!!

Please go and see your doctor. There are so many different drugs available. I was on paxil for quite a few years and it affected my sex life and I ate continuously. I'm now on wellbutrin and citalopram and doing much better.
    Please look after yourself.

Take care,
    K
  • Please, please be careful. I stopped taking Lexapro under the direction of my doctor and ended up in the hospital with a bad case of depression. You have to keep in mind when you are taking an antidepressant, you may feel ok mentally and are ready to stop taking the medicine, but the reason you are feeling better is because you are on the medicine.

I understand how you feel. After I was in the hospital they changed my meds to Celexa. Same type of medicine as Lexapro. For the past year I have had absolutely no sex drive. It stinks!!!! I suggest talking to your docotor, there are medicines that have fewer side effects. One of them is Welbutrin. Some doctors even think it is a good idea to go on a medicine holiday. Meaning you would stop taking it a few days a week.

Most important, don't do this on your own. Talk to your doctor and work out a solution that will work best for you. But if you do stop taking the medicine, make sure you are aware of signs of depression and make those around you aware.

Best of Luck. Let us know how it goes.
  • Don't ever use any sort of medication without doctor's medication and this should be strictly revised..One could not use it.. because of its affects and abundance in side effects.. may be its life taking in some case!!
  • there are so many options out there in terms of medications for depression. You just have to find the right one/combo. It took me YEARS but i finally found a good combo i believe (Wellbutrim, Abilify and lexapro.) I still have sleep issues so gonna talk to my dr. about that.