IP Daily Chat - Monday 9/27/2010

You're on Page 7 of 8
Go to
  • Quote: I think it's been wonderful that we've been beating a drum here about sticking with the program. And, though I don't see it this way, it may occur to some as tending toward the higher end of a "Don't cheat ever" zealotry scale. If you're seeing the "don't cheat" advice this way, I invite you to look at it differently:

We all chose freely to be on Ideal Protein. At some point, each of us said to him/herself "I want to lose weight/lower blood cholesterol/ eliminate or reduce my Type II diabetes / etc. and I'm going to give Ideal Protein a go to reach that goal."

There are so many temptations and distractions in the world to pull us off track. We don't even have to look outside ourselves; old habits, cravings, emotions can be seductive. There's always that thought, "Oh one xxx won't hurt." And, while some/many people in our lives are supportive and encouraging of our efforts, some of us deal with people who either intentionally or forgetfully offer us foods that don't support our goals or say things that we find unsupportive.

Many thoughts, habits and people tell us we can't or we shouldn't take a stand for our health. "I'm not good enough." "I'll do it after ..." "I can't ask for that." "They'll think I'm weird/compulsive/a nutcase..." "I can't spend that money on me. I should be able to do this on my own." "I'm weak and I always go off a diet at some point before reaching my goal, usually for months and years." and those are just some of the things we say to ourselves. By the way, none of those statements are true about me, even though I say them to myself, and they, or whatever your version of them is, are not true about YOU!

Somebody has to counter the environment (mental, social and physical) that we've each created that got us here, to an internet forum called 3 FAT chicks. That's where this board comes in. The people on this board know that making this program work is challenging. They do know that there are times when it's really hard.

The information, advice and cheer-leading are about supporting the commitment you made to yourself in a moment where you saw something different was possible for your health and your body. Eating something off program isn't wrong; it's just that it doesn't support what you really, truly, deeply want.
    Thank you for stating so well what I was thinking. I believe part of this journey is finding out the type of person you want to be, and how to get there.
    For me, my biggest crutch was white wine. Somehow I had it in my head that have 2-3 glasses every evening was the ONLY way I could wind down after a long day. Now I've gone over a week with not a drop, and I feel great.
    I love wine, and I don't believe I'll ever give it up entirely. But deep down inside I knew that I wanted to be the person that just had a glass occasionally - not every night. This diet is helping me become that person.
  • Had a pretty good weekend. Have been loosing a pound a day this week, weight in on Friday. Hope everyone has a great week I am so grateful for this plan and for the people here that are keeping me accountable.
  • Quote: Bra burning??? Oh No! I recycled mine..

It holds 2 bowling balls now...
    Oh thank you thank you my first real laugh of the day and its almost bedtime!
  • You all crack me up. I'm currently cooking my zucchini chips with the instructions given earlier... it's a little late but i've been out shopping for a halloween costume.. it was a lot of fun
  • Get ready....this one is a doosy. (I'll give you the Cliff's Notes version....)

So I went home over the weekend to pick up my wedding dress. This is supposed to be a momentous occasion. Supposed to be. The shop owner helped me get into the dress. When I looked into the mirror, I busted out in tears because I absolutely hated what I saw looking back at me. I had picked this particular dress out back in early April when I was 32lbs heavier than I am now. It was the perfect dress for me then, but not so much now. After leaving the boutique, I had a heart to heart with my mom. I explained to her that I felt like I looked pregnant in the dress and that's the last thing I wanted to look like on my wedding day. The dress is an A-line skirt with a fitted bodice. The bodice stopped at a completely horrible spot on my torso now. It really did make me look preggers. I couldn't honestly say that I felt pretty....or like a bride in that dress.

Before I went trying on dresses, I had fallen in love with the mermaid style of dress. I had gone into boutique after boutique looking to try this style on, however, I couldn't because even the size 16 sample size wouldn't go over my hips. My mom, knowing how much I loved that style, suggested that we go to another shop Sunday afternoon to see if we could solve the problem at hand. I walked in, saw a particular dress hanging among the masses and decided that was the one I was going to try on. The sample was a size 10. I put the dress on (which was about 2inches away from zipping completely) and immediately began to cry. I walked out of the dressing room and my mom began to cry. The first thing out of my mouth was that I felt pretty. This dress shows off my curves...the curves I've worked so hard to get. The figure that I've never had in my adult life. I want to show off what hard work and perseverance can do.

This whole experience truly showed me that weight loss is not only a physical change but a HUGE mental one as well. I still catch myself grabbing for XL shirts and size 14 pants when I'm actually a M and size 10. It's a mental thing! Hopefully the mental change will slowly begin to happen.

For once, I can't actually put words to how excited I am about wearing a beautiful dress on my wedding day. I'm actually going to get to wear the dress of my dreams! I don't know if there is any greater reward for hard work!
  • Quote: Get ready....this one is a doosy. (I'll give you the Cliff's Notes version....)
    I love happy endings.
  • Quote: Get ready....this one is a doosy. (I'll give you the Cliff's Notes version....)

So I went home over the weekend to pick up my wedding dress. This is supposed to be a momentous occasion. Supposed to be. The shop owner helped me get into the dress. When I looked into the mirror, I busted out in tears because I absolutely hated what I saw looking back at me. I had picked this particular dress out back in early April when I was 32lbs heavier than I am now. It was the perfect dress for me then, but not so much now. After leaving the boutique, I had a heart to heart with my mom. I explained to her that I felt like I looked pregnant in the dress and that's the last thing I wanted to look like on my wedding day. The dress is an A-line skirt with a fitted bodice. The bodice stopped at a completely horrible spot on my torso now. It really did make me look preggers. I couldn't honestly say that I felt pretty....or like a bride in that dress.

Before I went trying on dresses, I had fallen in love with the mermaid style of dress. I had gone into boutique after boutique looking to try this style on, however, I couldn't because even the size 16 sample size wouldn't go over my hips. My mom, knowing how much I loved that style, suggested that we go to another shop Sunday afternoon to see if we could solve the problem at hand. I walked in, saw a particular dress hanging among the masses and decided that was the one I was going to try on. The sample was a size 10. I put the dress on (which was about 2inches away from zipping completely) and immediately began to cry. I walked out of the dressing room and my mom began to cry. The first thing out of my mouth was that I felt pretty. This dress shows off my curves...the curves I've worked so hard to get. The figure that I've never had in my adult life. I want to show off what hard work and perseverance can do.

This whole experience truly showed me that weight loss is not only a physical change but a HUGE mental one as well. I still catch myself grabbing for XL shirts and size 14 pants when I'm actually a M and size 10. It's a mental thing! Hopefully the mental change will slowly begin to happen.

For once, I can't actually put words to how excited I am about wearing a beautiful dress on my wedding day. I'm actually going to get to wear the dress of my dreams! I don't know if there is any greater reward for hard work!
    Aww... your story almost made me cry! I know what you mean about wanting the dress you have in your head, but not being able to fit into it. It's actually part of the reason I've postponed getting married, as pathetic as that sounds. Most days I didn't feel comfortable going out in a t-shirt and jeans, let alone to have on a white dress that accented my "flaws" in front of a bunch of people. I'm so happy for you and I wish you the best in getting in that dress!
  • Thanks to all for your kind words and congrats.....I only wanted to share the inspiration. I remember finding this board in early to mid May and reading some of the successes and couldn't even fathom losing this much never mind the different mind set and emotional feelings I would have. Keep up the great work everyone - it is definitely worth it. Worth every bit of hard work ! Cheers
  • I haven't been around the last few days but boy have I had some crazy stuff going on...

For starters, I sometimes house stray cats and I found homes for 3 kitties this weekend, and while cleaning a pet porter I dropped my $500 cell phone in water and fried it. Later that evening, I won $20.00.

This morning, I walked to my local clinic for a follow up on my hypothyroidism... The good news... I went from a 5.8 to a 1.6 on my levels. Also, my blood pressure was 101/70! Thats the lowest my blood pressure has ever been in my life! So I get to drop one of my meds! YAYAYAYAYAYAY! I'm down just shy of 12 pounds according to my doc's scale... that's almost 12 pounds in less than 2 weeks! CRAZY. My 2nd weigh in is on Thursday... So I'm pretty excited to share all my medical results with my coach. Later on today, I got a sweet deal on a new smartphone, and couldn't be happier.

I made it through the weekend and since my first weigh in with NO cheating. It's getting easier and easier to say no to food and sweets. It really doesn't even phase me, and that says a lot as my boyfriend still has ice cream in the freezer. I'm so happy about the health improvement and the weight loss.

My sister is 14 years older than me and roughly about 170 lbs but she loses weight much easier than I do, probably from all the PT in the military she does... but my point being: I was talking to my mom about my goal weight and how hopefully come Christmas, I'll be able to playfully flaunt my skinny body and my youth when my sister comes home for the holidays. Since there is such a large age difference between us I always give her a hard time... boy... I can't wait.. she'll never see it comming. hehehe
  • Quote: Good evening IP friends. It is so nice to know that I can come here anytime for support and encouragement. You all are just wonderful!
    I made it through day one of the conference and stayed on plan. I am drinking lots of water and decaf coffee and tea to help. I did bring my IP packets and will have them at least 3 times each day.
    Thanks again for being here!
    Have a wonderful evening!
    Smiles to everyone!
    Great job with keeping on track! Keep up the good work. You can do it!
  • Went in for my 2 week weigh in today. Not the numbers I was looking for, but according to the calendar, my TOM should be tomorrow. I have felt a bit bloated the past couple of days. But since I haven't cheated at all these past 2 wks, (MIRACLE!) and I have one restricted item a week, I know I'm on the right track.
    Frustrating though when I got on the scale. I'm one of those who needs to see progress or I tank. But because of the progress so far (almost 6 lbs lost in week one), I've decided to keep up the no cheat thing I've got going on! I love reading everyone's progress - It keeps me going.
  • Quote: For once, I can't actually put words to how excited I am about wearing a beautiful dress on my wedding day. I'm actually going to get to wear the dress of my dreams! I don't know if there is any greater reward for hard work!

the dress of your dreams.
    That is a beautiful thing and you should be proud of all you have done to get to this day. I am proud of you!!

I just read today's entire thread. As many of you have said today, this is such an amazing source of encouragement (along with information sharing) and we are so blessed to have one another. Each of us is part of the wheel and every day there are newbies joining (or newbies reading that we haven't yet met.)

And I'm so happy for all the success and commitments folks here have expressed. You inspire me!!

I have decided I am going to change my starting weight to what I weighed on my first day of IP products on my own scale. I'll let my coach keep her numbers, but I weigh with her at the end of the day and I don't think I could ever meet my goal when I am wearing clothes and in the evening. I can be more consistent with conditions weighing at home (first thing in morning, empty bladder and in my birthday suit.)

Also, small NSV today: a male coworker, about 20 years younger than me, said "New glasses?" No, I said, same old glasses. "New haircut?" No, I said, but I've lost a few pounds. He looked at me and say "Yeah? Nice!"
  • Aw... the wedding dress story was so nice to hear. I am also a sucker for happy endings.. congrats!
  • Quote: Oh MOTHER DUCK - as a former HS cheerleader, you just made my day!!!
    XOXOXO And made me laugh so loud the dogs were wondering what was going on!!! I will be using your cheer all day!!
    To funny! Glad you liked it.

Quote: The information, advice and cheer-leading are about supporting the commitment you made to yourself in a moment where you saw something different was possible for your health and your body. Eating something off program isn't wrong; it's just that it doesn't support what you really, truly, deeply want.
    So true! It's all about being true to ourselves because we are worth it!

Quote: Here's your dust :d ust:

Thanks for the cheer!! Can we get one daily to help us through the day??
    LOL! I'll see what I can do.

Quote: Holy moly journeysend you look fantastic! Congrats to all the LOSERS lol and mother duck i know where your coming from some days I have to apologize before I even start talking! HA HA! This "diet" is the best I am learning alot about myself and I am really hoping that life after IP is all its cracked up to be. I am a complete carboholic and its good I have a while before I am done because I am not over it yet. one day at a time i guess. Thank you everyone for your truly amazing stories and blurps, it feels good to see people no matter the weight loss that are having similar experiences. We are a community of LOSERS! And for once that is a great thing a really really great thing.
    I don't think I'd still be doing this if not for this group of people and this place to check in. We are each helping others be successful just by being here for ourselves.

Quote: Get ready....this one is a doosy. (I'll give you the Cliff's Notes version....)

WOW! Your story really touched me. I am so happy for you!
  • Soon 2 Be
    ok, I say you are nominated for the IP poster girl of the month--maybe the year. Thanks for your perseverance...it is exactly people like you that make the rest of us re-evaluate what is really important! I am so excited to see the photos of your NEW dress!!

Quote: I haven't been around the last few days but boy have I had some crazy stuff going on... and couldn't be happier.
    . I can't wait.. she'll never see it comming. hehehe
    ok, I just gotta say, you are my kind of girl on so many levels! stray catz, optimistic outlook and just a tiny "gotcha" for siblings...what could be better? Except how gorgeous you will be in your own wedding dress when you are ready to do it!

Quote: Went in for my 2 week weigh in today. Not the numbers I was looking for, but according to the calendar, my TOM should be tomorrow. It keeps me going.
    Look forward to a big drop next week, that is pretty much what is typical once TOM leaves town. good work staying focused and on plan!!