C25k on a treadmill?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Can the C25K program be done with a treadmill? I know it wouldn't be the same as outside but that is not my question. Can it be done on a treadmill and if yes, what speeds should I use?
  • I did it on the treadmill, and I just used the speeds that I was just barely comfortable with by the end with my short legs. I walked at 3 mph and ran at 5 mph. It worked great for me, I can now run on the treadmill for 40 minutes.
  • Thank you
  • YES! It can!

This is probably obvious, but run at a speed that's comfortable to you. I'm a VERY slow runner, but am usually comfortable on the treadmill anywhere from 5.8 to 6.5, especially if it's for a longer period of time.
  • Thanks
  • So glad some one posted this, thanks Onederchic . . . I've been toying with the idea of doing this at the gym for my lunch hr work outs.
    Jogging has always and still does scare the crap out of me . . . I don't know why to be honest. I can rock the elliptical like no ones business, jogging scares me.

I'm a jog-a-phobic
  • Haha, I am skeered too
  • Quote: YES! It can!

This is probably obvious, but run at a speed that's comfortable to you. I'm a VERY slow runner, but am usually comfortable on the treadmill anywhere from 5.8 to 6.5, especially if it's for a longer period of time.
    SLOW?! Ppppt! I'll show you slow!

I walk at 3.7 and RUN at 4.6. Comfortably, that is. I can run long distances at 4.6. I CAN run a mile at 5.0 but why?

You're right! It's about comfort.
  • You can... and the speed is up to you (as everyone is different). Most people start off with too much speed. Try something comfortable as you'll be able to run longer with a slower pace. I started off with a similar thing to c25k mostly on the treadmill as it was Dec/Jan out. Something like 4.5-5.0 is probably a comfortable zone.
  • Thank you
  • I did C25K solely on a treadmill from start to finish. And people who are saying their speeds were slow, mine were much slower. I walked at about 3.5 and "jogged" at about 4.2 by the time I was done. And this is what I worked up to.

At the beginning I "jogged" at wayyy under 4 (maybe even 3.5 or less the 1st weeks). Basically I "jogged" at a walking speed but did it like a "boosted walk" a la Leslie Sansone. This really built my confidence because though I could have gone faster, I was able to do all the runs without wanting to die, and I got my body used to the jogging motion for a prolonged period and was able to think about it without dreading it. Then gradually I increased my speed in increments of 0.1 or 0.2 till i made it to the "great" speed of about 4.2-4.3. Now I've gone back to week 3 and am focusing on working on my speed and getting used to running faster.
  • Thank you for the advice
  • I completed the whole of C25K on the treadmill. I did try to run outside a few times during but found it so much different, so just concentrated on completing the programme on the treadmill, then sort of redid it outside afterwards.
    I started off at 5mph with the intervals but soon found that if I wanted to be able to run for longer I had to slow down, and ended up completing the programme at 4.53mph.
    Once I'd completed the programme I then worked on adding a couple of minutes at a time til I could complete the full 5k, and after that I started working on speeding up a tiny amount each week and I'm now back up to 5mph for my long runs (7k). I can run for shorter distances at a much faster pace, and that really gives me a buzz, but the key for me for C25K was to find a speed I could maintain, which was SLOW, to get me through it. The rest will come later.
  • Thanks I think once I have my surgery (not weight loss related), I will attempt this with the treadmill
  • I use a treadmill walk at 3 jog at 5-5.5 depending on song beat lol hoping to work up to 6.
    going onto week 7