IP Daily Chat - Tuesday 9/21/2010

You're on Page 8 of 8
Go to
  • Today I switched things up a bit. I ate 1/2 my dinner protein (meat) with my lunch, then the other half at dinner. It was strange because before I ate lunch, I had tons of energy. Then afterwards, I was so tired. I wonder if I shouldn't do this again. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Quote: wow 80 pound loss in 5 months! That's incredible!

I went to my endocrinologist today. I brought her information on the IP diet, we discussed it at length, and my personal health issues. She did say high protein diets cause kidney stones, and she was concerned because I have had them before..She also is concerned with extra headaches due to artificial sweetners in IP products....
    She wants me to have 2 glasses of skim milk and 1 cup lowfat yogurt daily with 1200 mg Calcium. and multi vitamin, and vit D. She also wants me to stop phase 1 after 4 more months and then go thru the rest of the phases. She ordered bloodwork.She will call me with results. Now I see her again in March.

So now I have to ask,you experienced IPers- will these dairy additions throw off the whole diet? Will I continue to lose weight even at a slower rate??? OR should I just phase off IP all together, if I am changing Dr Tien's diet..??
    In my opinion you can't do the diet with 3 milk or yogurt servings per day. I don't believe you would be able to stay in ketosis, and that's the main basis of the diet. Even the alternate plan has only 1 serving of milk or yogurt per day along with a grain serving and a fruit serving. As far as the diet's being considered a high-protein diet, Dr. Tran says it is an adequate-protein diet, not a high-protein diet. There are diets out there that contain much higher amounts of protein. If you do as your endocrinologist says, you will be on a low-calorie, low-fat diet, not a low-carb, low-fat diet. You could still lose weight, but not at an Ideal Protein rate. Plus your pancreas is not going to be repaired without being on the full program. Even if you lose all the weight you desire, it will be harder to keep it off. I like Linden's idea of using flavorless whey protein isolate in place of the packets and varying the taste by adding different extracts and/or flavorings. You might still be able to use Stevia as it's not an artificial sweetener. In the end, it's entirely your decision. You have to consider how much you trust your doctor versus how much you believe in the program.

Quote: I was told not to excerise much (the first two weeks especially). Something about the fact that we are on a lower calorie diet and when you excercise it can halt the weight loss process.

Any thoughts on this, anyone?
    It can knock you out of ketosis, resulting in muscle loss rather than fat loss.
  • Quote: Today I switched things up a bit. I ate 1/2 my dinner protein (meat) with my lunch, then the other half at dinner. It was strange because before I ate lunch, I had tons of energy. Then afterwards, I was so tired. I wonder if I shouldn't do this again. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Did you also have a protein packet at lunch? If not, you didn't have enough protein for the day.

• Good Evening, I hope everyone had a good day. I spent some time today going though clothes (you know why). I never thought it would be so much fun to get rid of clothes.
  • Quote: Please let me know as well! I thought the veggies worked to help clear you out!
    I'm having a rough day here IPers. Weigh in for end of week 3 and only down 3.5 pounds. I did not expect to keep loosing a pound a day however, i would like to be in the 3-5 pound a week range. I started Sept. 1st at 222 and now 207 at end of week 3. If this bootcamp thing works, i'm all about it!!! HELP. I'm feeling like i'll lose it with football season starting and everyone gathering and me being the cook haha..
    Hope everyone has a great day! Congrats on all losses.
    I started replying hours ago. Stick with it. Cross back from 200. That is huge goal for me. Get back into the ones. You are close.
  • Quote:
    I went to my endocrinologist today. I brought her information on the IP diet, we discussed it at length, and my personal health issues. She did say high protein diets cause kidney stones, and she was concerned because I have had them before..She also is concerned with extra headaches due to artificial sweetners in IP products....
    She wants me to have 2 glasses of skim milk and 1 cup lowfat yogurt daily with 1200 mg Calcium. and multi vitamin, and vit D. She also wants me to stop phase 1 after 4 more months and then go thru the rest of the phases. She ordered bloodwork.She will call me with results. Now I see her again in March.

So now I have to ask,you experienced IPers- will these dairy additions throw off the whole diet? Will I continue to lose weight even at a slower rate??? OR should I just phase off IP all together, if I am changing Dr Tien's diet..??
    Quote: Have you talked to your coach about the IP Alternate program? My bf did the alternate program for all phases. (he is in maintenance now.) It is the same but adds a bit of fruit, grain, and dairy to your normal plan. He still continued to lose with this program. I would talk to your coach about the Dr's request and maybe the alternate program and maybe try it for a week or 2 to see if that eases up the migraines. PS. Did the doctor test for your iron levels too? My iron levels are low which causes me fatigue and in turns triggers the headaches sometimes. If I take my iron supplements regularly this seems to help (one more damn pill). I wouldn't suggest taking iron though unless your test results prove it to be low. Good luck and I do hope you start feeling better soon.
    Quote: While you were writing this I was on line searching for protein supplements that didn't have sweeteners in them because what you said yesterday really sounded awful. But even the companies that advertised no artificial sweeteners still had stevia in them.

I guess I'm of two minds about the doctor's advice. To follow it means you more than double the amount of carbs you should have in a day. On the other hand, would it be worth trying it for one week and see if the migraines disappear, or substantially diminish? Being in pain so much, and hence so stressed, must be having some affect on your ability to lose.

If that doesn't work, I think the idea of the alternate plan sounds interesting.

But honestly, I think if I were in your shoes, I would probably just drink flavorless whey isolate with a few drops of Frontier orange, or root beer, or vanilla extract, or whatever flavor appeals. Orange, for instance, has 2 ingredients: orange oil and sunflower oil. No alcohol, no sweetener of any kind.

Of course, I'm not very knowledgeable about the chemistry of migraines. I think the reason I jumped in on this question and felt so much concern for you yesterday, is that I see a kindred spirit in that we both REALLY want to lose weight and keep seeing our options diminish. Cheers.
    Quote: In my opinion you can't do the diet with 3 milk or yogurt servings per day. I don't believe you would be able to stay in ketosis, and that's the main basis of the diet. Even the alternate plan has only 1 serving of milk or yogurt per day along with a grain serving and a fruit serving. As far as the diet's being considered a high-protein diet, Dr. Tran says it is an adequate-protein diet, not a high-protein diet. There are diets out there that contain much higher amounts of protein. If you do as your endocrinologist says, you will be on a low-calorie, low-fat diet, not a low-carb, low-fat diet. You could still lose weight, but not at an Ideal Protein rate. Plus your pancreas is not going to be repaired without being on the full program. Even if you lose all the weight you desire, it will be harder to keep it off. I like Linden's idea of using flavorless whey protein isolate in place of the packets and varying the taste by adding different extracts and/or flavorings. You might still be able to use Stevia as it's not an artificial sweetener. In the end, it's entirely your decision. You have to consider how much you trust your doctor versus how much you believe in the program. .
    Hi Coastal crafter--I am not as wise as many of the folks on this forum regarding the IP diet...but I am a nurse practitioner, so I can speak to the reaction of many doctors to this (and other) diets. Doctors are trained to be skeptical of anything that is not "mainstream" medicine (at least in the United States). Now, that isn't all bad, but it does blind them sometimes to new ideas that are actually good and helpful. I don't know your physician; you know him or her better than we do. But I would hate to see you give up this diet unnecessarily. Do you have another physician in the area you trust for another opinion? I'm not criticizing this doctor specifically. This is just the way many docs are. Best of luck as you seek answers that are best for you.
  • Just a quick post before my laptop loses battery! I did an "unofficial" weigh-in today. I travel for work, plus next week DH and I will go on vacation, so my first official weigh-in will be 4 weeks from when I started IP!! But I am happy to report I am 5 # down!! Probably would be a bit better, but the Big C has been a problem....but I am working on it. I am very encouraged!
  • Yeah! It's official.....got my ticker! Wooohoooo! Sorry, lame post, but I just had to share!
  • [/QUOTE]

So now I have to ask,you experienced IPers- will these dairy additions throw off the whole diet? Will I continue to lose weight even at a slower rate??? OR should I just phase off IP all together, if I am changing Dr Tien's diet..??[/QUOTE]

I've had kidney stones once (that was enough) and not had any reoccurred with low carb high protein diet (Atkins and IP) I agree wtih other NPin that Western Medicine doesn't know it all, and most physicains did not have much nutrition in thier training. Get the labs, see what is going on and then decide what you want to do - strict IP, alternative IP or drop it all together. The idea of a second opinion isn't a bad one.
    My IP program is actually through my medical provider's office. I see the PA, (he's on the diet too), and he's monitoring my labs and my health. If you want to talk about NSV's. Here's some great accomplishments towards a more healthy me: My A1c was down from 9.2 to 6.2 in the first 10 weeks on the diet. My cholesterol dropped to 172, my triglycerides dropped 100 points from 230 to 130 and my LDL dropped from 161 to 112. My HDL went down, but I'm told that happens on the program and it goes back up when you get into maintenance. I dropped the Byetta I was on and am only on 1/2 of a tablet of Glyburide at night. I'm off Prilosec completely - no acid reflux at all. I know any weight loss probably would have helped all these, but IP helped me got moving fast which I needed for my psychological health.
    You aren't my patient, so you have to consider that I don't know all your medical history, haven't examined you, so the advice is worth what it cost - I wish you well in deciding what to do. It can be hard
    Jean
  • Quote: That really does sound like a bootcamp experience. Have you done it before? Did it work?

I'm kinda interested to get my body back into hefty losing mode.
    I've done it off and on since i started. Mostly on -- I very rarely have restricted items or veggies. Carla's right -- it IS boring, but it works!

Quote: I'm having a rough day here IPers. Weigh in for end of week 3 and only down 3.5 pounds. I did not expect to keep loosing a pound a day however, i would like to be in the 3-5 pound a week range. I started Sept. 1st at 222 and now 207 at end of week 3. If this bootcamp thing works, i'm all about it!!! HELP. I'm feeling like i'll lose it with football season starting and everyone gathering and me being the cook haha..
    Hope everyone has a great day! Congrats on all losses.
    ChelseaKate -- I know a few others have said something similar, but sometimes it helps to hear it from more than one person. YOU'VE HAD AMAZING WEIGHT LOSS! Be happy with 3.5 pounds. I know the ads all say 3 pounds is the least you'll lose...but its not. It's an average -- I've averaged 3.26 pounds a week, but there were many weeks of 0 -- and some weeks of more -- to make that up. You're doing great.

Quote: On a side note... I'm pretty sure the cookies and cream ice cream still in my freezer was staring at me today... but I've managed to avoid it. Welp I'm off to make dinner... bleh fish. But eh I figure the lemon and dill will go well with the fish and a salad.
    Take some sage advice from someone who's been on the plan for 5 months...toss the Ice Cream! Ice cream was my weakness, and honestly ... I swear the ice cream was taunting me whenever I'd open the freezer to get ice for my water. My DH objected for a moment, then I told him to go and get single serve at Baskin Robbins if he was desperate.

I am not sure this whole buying a scale thing was for me -- it's nothing but up...of course, TOM and Big C could explain that.

JC
  • Quote: .

Linden, Stevia is natural, not an artificial sweetener. I believe it is some sort of root plant. One of my co-workers grows it and grinds it to share.

My doctor, who also supervises my IP diet, went to Israel last summer. He saw stevia plants growing wild while there and chewed their leaves. It was from his experience that I first tried stevia, even before getting on the diet. I like it MUCH more than splenda or any other artificial sweetner I have tried.
  • Quote: My doctor, who also supervises my IP diet, went to Israel last summer. He saw stevia plants growing wild while there and chewed their leaves. It was from his experience that I first tried stevia, even before getting on the diet. I like it MUCH more than splenda or any other artificial sweetner I have tried.
    Umm. I do know a little something about stevia. My shaker of "Improved Stevia, Supreme Naturally Sweet Stevia" contains stevia and xylitrol, neither of which concerns me much, but CC can't seem to tolerate anything processed, so I was trying to be extra careful if her case.
  • Wednesday thread open
    New day, new chat thread. Please join us there.
  • Quote: THANKS!
    I thought it sounded funny haha. So far the only veggie i eat is cucumber so i'm stickin to bootcamp until i get to onederland! My IP provider does not want me to cut the restricted item; i asked and she says no.
    I was counting the cukes as part of my 2 cups of veggies per day but I was told that the cukes, lettuce and celery are part of my unlimited. She said I need the other veggies that are allowed in phase one for the carbs to make our brains function properly