IP Daily Chat - Tuesday 9/21/2010

You're on Page 7 of 8
Go to
  • Quote: I am nervous and excited...nervous because I am having arthroscopic surgery on my knee tomorrow. Excited because today at my weigh in I crossed the 100 lbs. lost. 100.5 to be exact. This IP journey has been nothing short of a miracle.

Tomorrow is my surgery and for the first time in a looooooooong time, I was actually able to get my wedding ring off. Hopefully, not carrying around the extra 100+ pounds will be kind to my knees. As an aside, I was worried because my weight loss was slowing down. This past week, I moved to Phase 2 and during that week, I lost 5.5 pounds. I was astonished! I hadn't seen a loss like that since the early months.

Congrats to all the new people! Lots of people are reporting great losses in the early weeks. Promise yourself to stay strong and on plan. If you are a lurker, I am glad that you are reading the forum, but please post and introduce yourself. This is an amazing forum with the absolute BEST support!!

Su
    100 pounds is awesome! Good work. I'll send some prayers for the surgery to go well. I did well over the last 3 months while having been in a boot cast most of the time. Stay strong and keep it off!
  • Hi everyone,
    I am recommitting myself. I haven't really went off the diet but I have had a snitch here or there. My last loss was 2lbs nothing to be all upset about BUTT I do believe my once in a while nibble has slowed me down. So I will not stray from IP this week!
    Yeah for everyones losses!
  • Quote: She also is concerned with extra headaches due to artificial sweetners in IP products....
    She wants me to have 2 glasses of skim milk and 1 cup lowfat yogurt daily with 1200 mg Calcium. and multi vitamin, and vit D. She also wants me to stop phase 1 after 4 more months and then go thru the rest of the phases.
    While you were writing this I was on line searching for protein supplements that didn't have sweeteners in them because what you said yesterday really sounded awful. But even the companies that advertised no artificial sweeteners still had stevia in them.

I guess I'm of two minds about the doctor's advice. To follow it means you more than double the amount of carbs you should have in a day. On the other hand, would it be worth trying it for one week and see if the migraines disappear, or substantially diminish? Being in pain so much, and hence so stressed, must be having some affect on your ability to lose.

If that doesn't work, I think the idea of the alternate plan sounds interesting.

But honestly, I think if I were in your shoes, I would probably just drink flavorless whey isolate with a few drops of Frontier orange, or root beer, or vanilla extract, or whatever flavor appeals. Orange, for instance, has 2 ingredients: orange oil and sunflower oil. No alcohol, no sweetener of any kind.

Of course, I'm not very knowledgeable about the chemistry of migraines. I think the reason I jumped in on this question and felt so much concern for you yesterday, is that I see a kindred spirit in that we both REALLY want to lose weight and keep seeing our options diminish. Cheers.
  • Just an update. I have spoken with my family in my hometown and they are all fine however, one man has been swept out to sea during Hurricane Igor due to the driveway/bridge he was standing on gave-way under his feet. My thoughts are prayers are with his family. Thank-you everyone who had nice words for me.

On a MUCH happier note congrats to all of you on your weightloss the numbers are just phenomenal, keep up the good work and I can only hope to have such a success!
  • Hi everyone! Hope your day has been grand. I woke up crabby as ever... my poor bf. lol But I'm doing better now. I felt awesome after I had breakfast and took a walk. I tried my hand at a lemon and dill vinaigrette that turned out pretty good. However, my fridge hates me... and froze most of my salad mix today. On a side note... I'm pretty sure the cookies and cream ice cream still in my freezer was staring at me today... but I've managed to avoid it. Welp I'm off to make dinner... bleh fish. But eh I figure the lemon and dill will go well with the fish and a salad.
  • Congrats on the great week so far everyone!
    I have WI number 3 tomorrow - not sure how it'll go as I have been battling a cold and TOM : (
    I've been lurking a lot - been so busy - coaching volleyball and went to Johnny Reid concert - fantastic!
  • Quote: Congrats and keep up the great work!!!

Have you talked to your coach about the IP Alternate program? My bf did the alternate program for all phases. (he is in maintenance now.) It is the same but adds a bit of fruit, grain, and dairy to your normal plan. He still continued to lose with this program. I would talk to your coach about the Dr's request and maybe the alternate program and maybe try it for a week or 2 to see if that eases up the migraines. PS. Did the doctor test for your iron levels too? My iron levels are low which causes me fatigue and in turns triggers the headaches sometimes. If I take my iron supplements regularly this seems to help (one more damn pill). I wouldn't suggest taking iron though unless your test results prove it to be low. Good luck and I do hope you start feeling better soon.
    Quote: While you were writing this I was on line searching for protein supplements that didn't have sweeteners in them because what you said yesterday really sounded awful. But even the companies that advertised no artificial sweeteners still had stevia in them.

I guess I'm of two minds about the doctor's advice. To follow it means you more than double the amount of carbs you should have in a day. On the other hand, would it be worth trying it for one week and see if the migraines disappear, or substantially diminish? Being in pain so much, and hence so stressed, must be having some affect on your ability to lose.

If that doesn't work, I think the idea of the alternate plan sounds interesting.

But honestly, I think if I were in your shoes, I would probably just drink flavorless whey isolate with a few drops of Frontier orange, or root beer, or vanilla extract, or whatever flavor appeals. Orange, for instance, has 2 ingredients: orange oil and sunflower oil. No alcohol, no sweetener of any kind.

Of course, I'm not very knowledgeable about the chemistry of migraines. I think the reason I jumped in on this question and felt so much concern for you yesterday, is that I see a kindred spirit in that we both REALLY want to lose weight and keep seeing our options diminish. Cheers.
    I can't thank you both enough for your imput!! I DON"T want to quit BECAUSE it is working for me.. I will call my coach and set up an appt to discuss alternate plan.. I didn't know they had one or I would have told the dr about it... thanks for caring and sharing dear friends!!!
  • I was searching but couldn't find if the IP ALTERNATIVE diet plan posted anywhere???
  • Quote: I was searching but couldn't find if the IP ALTERNATIVE diet plan posted anywhere???
    It's in the Phases sticky -- here's the link.
  • Quote: Just an update. I have spoken with my family in my hometown and they are all fine however, one man has been swept out to sea during Hurricane Igor due to the driveway/bridge he was standing on gave-way under his feet. My thoughts are prayers are with his family. Thank-you everyone who had nice words for me.

On a MUCH happier note congrats to all of you on your weightloss the numbers are just phenomenal, keep up the good work and I can only hope to have such a success!
    Oh I am so glad.. I have been praying for them all and their safety but forgot to post it!!!

thanks N for the link!!!
  • My weigh-in day is tomorrow...biting nails b/c for no reason what so ever (following the plan to a T) I'm up a pound from last week. I'm chugging the water and hoping it is a fluke, but we'll see tomorrow...crossing fingers.

Quote: I am nervous and excited...nervous because I am having arthroscopic surgery on my knee tomorrow. Excited because today at my weigh in I crossed the 100 lbs. lost. 100.5 to be exact...

Tomorrow is my surgery and for the first time in a looooooooong time, I was actually able to get my wedding ring off. Hopefully, not carrying around the extra 100+ pounds will be kind to my knees.
    CUSU, Congrats on 100+ lbs., that is soo exciting. The weight will help your knees significantly. My boyfriend was IP also to help lose weight before his knee surgery (next month). His Dr. said that every 1 lb. lost takes 4 lb. of pressure off your knees. Congrats and good luck with your surgery.

Quote: While you were writing this I was on line searching for protein supplements that didn't have sweeteners in them because what you said yesterday really sounded awful. But even the companies that advertised no artificial sweeteners still had stevia in them.
    Linden, Stevia is natural, not an artificial sweetener. I believe it is some sort of root plant. One of my co-workers grows it and grinds it to share.

Quote: Just an update. I have spoken with my family in my hometown and they are all fine however, one man has been swept out to sea during Hurricane Igor due to the driveway/bridge he was standing on gave-way under his feet. My thoughts are prayers are with his family. Thank-you everyone who had nice words for me.
    AvaLynn, I'm so happy to hear your family is safe. I'll keep everyone in the area in my thoughts and prayers.

CoastalCrafter, Good luck with the alternate plan, if you can't find the sheets, I can scan them and upload them. Also, have you read a book called The Migraine Brain? I found it really helpful in reducing triggers.
  • I had my WI today and I am down 2.6 lbs!!! Whoo hoo!! I know its not a lot but I am really excited
  • Quote: OK, can I be on a plateau this early in the ball game. Day 21 for me and I weigh in tomorrow a.m. officially. Have not been off plan for 3 weeks except for a little nibble of extra protein hear and there. Been doing some gym but not anymore or less than before I started. I do about 2/3 days of 1 hour cardio per week and did some light weights yesterday. My scale has not budged this week and as of this am I might be 1 lb higher than weigh in last week. I know with every diet your first week is mainly water weight but the second week I dropped about the same. I am not close to my target weight so that shouldn't be an issue. Just puzzled.
    I was told not to excerise much (the first two weeks especially). Something about the fact that we are on a lower calorie diet and when you excercise it can halt the weight loss process.

Any thoughts on this, anyone?
  • [QUOTE=xmln3x;3489986]Hi everyone! Hope your day has been grand. I woke up crabby as ever... my poor bf.

I have been in a crabby mood all week! Feel better.

Reading about H - Igor is quite scary. My prayers are with you in Newfoundland. Katrina wasn't that long ago for those of us on Gulf Coast - it's very scary.

I tried the EAS bars and they taste much better than the IP - though they are twice the calories, I think. Maybe I will cut them in half for a snack each night (might help this crabby mood of mine). I know I've read on this forum that eating such restricteds can reduce the speed of weight loss but I'm a pretty wimpy IP convert. I do believe, but I'm wimpy.

Glad this message board is here - it has kept me going this week, no doubt about it!

Have a successful Wednesday, fellow IP people, goodnight.

Testing out my ticker ...
  • Quote: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/he...=me&ref=health

This in today's NY Times, on the benefits of massage. Interesting.
    Cool article. Maybe I should splurge every now and then and get a massage. Thanks.