first date, nice guy and mexican food

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • so, met this guy...kinda hit it off. so we are going on our first date tonite. i don't date much so i'm very nervous. to add to that, we are going to a mexican place. any suggestions? i've gone to applebees and had their under 550 stuff but figured that might not be the best place for a first date. Thanks!
  • Sounds lovely!!

Check this out
    http://www.healthyoptionsbuffalo.com...s_mexican.html
  • Quote: Sounds lovely!!

Check this out
    http://www.healthyoptionsbuffalo.com...s_mexican.html
    Thanks Sacha! lots of good tips.
  • I've been going through the same thing, dieting and early dating stages don't mix well. Just make the best choices you can, then forget about the food and concentrate on the company!
  • love it caryesings! thanks!
  • Order a Taco salad and don't eat the shell. And do not eat the chips and salsa.
  • A lot of the Mexican places I've been to actually have regular salad options. Maybe you'll luck out on that. My weakness is chips and salsa or queso dip...just try to stay so busy either talking or listening that you aren't sneaking chip after chip, that adds up quick!

I agree that dating and dieting don't mix well. But just be yourself...I wouldn't point out or make a big deal out of the weight loss thing, but don't eat anything you don't want to or will regret later just because you're on a date. I've actually found that most guys respect my healthy choices when we eat out...it doesn't ruin their experience at all lol!

good luck and have FUN!
  • My favorite Mex Restaurant has the BEST chicken soup. Chicken breast, lots of good veggies, great broth. I know that's the healthiest choice there. Have a few glasses of water before you get there, too.

Have FUN!
  • skip the chips, get the fajita (chicken and veggies) and skip the tortillas with it,
  • so it went well and i took the advice. got grilled chicken fajitas, only ate the meat and veggies. no tortillas or chips. we had a nice time and hope to see him again soon! Thanks!
  • Glad it went well. Mexican food is my absolute favorite so I definitely have to commend you.
  • SINFULDAYS: we share 2 things! a love for mexican food and our firstnames! thanks!
  • hehe how neat.
    and you're definitely welcome hun.
  • I know I missed the boat on your actual date, but I am glad it went well for you.

I just wanted to mention something in case it might help you or someone else in the future. My fav local Mexican restaurant has two choices that I usually go with when eating there. My favorite item is the shrimp cocktail. It has V-8 juice, boiled shrimp, onion and garlic, tomato, avocado, cilantro, lime, and a little Tabasco. It is served in a huge margarita glass and you eat it with a spoon. It is delicious! The other item I like to order (usually in the winter) is their catfish/shrimp soup. It has catfish (sometimes I get it with only shrimp), vegetable broth, tomatoes and onions. It is served with a plate of rice, chopped onion and cilantro that you can add to it.
  • thanks!

mmmm...i was actually thinking of getting shrimp. the soup you mentioned sounds like what my date actually ate! lol it had seafood in it and they brought him a little plate with onions etc. i got the grilled chicken fajita. I ate only the vegs and chicken. no beans, cheese or tortillas. thanks for the tips!