Almost 250 pounds lost

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • My goal *was* to be at 200 pounds, but I changed that and now wish to get down to 190 [edit, its 180 now and possible will go down to 175]. I'm posting here now because tomorrow (Sept 17th) is my 3 year weight loss anniversary and I feel like this is sort of the start of my new life in maintenance phase.

What a long and crazy journey it has been! It has not been a straight shot to get down to where I am. There was many bumps along the way, but I'm happy for those bumps. I'm glad it wasn't easy because I've learned now to recognize when things start to go wrong and I can quickly get back on to a healthy lifestyle.

To think that 3 years ago I could barely walk 2 blocks without being out of breath and now I do several marathon length walks each year. To think that 3 years ago I was in constant fear of embarrassment such as not being able to fit into chairs or not being able to do things that other people took for granted. To think that 3 years ago I could have dropped dead any day (and now I am the healthiest I've ever been in my life).

You can see some before pictures here and here. If you'd like to see a current picture, you can see that here. If you'd like to see some of the skin issues associated with massive weight loss, you can see that here (shirtless, TMI warning).

Every day now I want to be healthier than the day previously. That doesn't necessarily mean less weight (as I am now going to make a big effort to add more muscle).

As always, I thank the people at 3fc's for giving me the encouragement to continue this journey when I was very close to giving up. I don't think I could have had the success I've had if not for this community.
  • awesome!!!!
    Matt,
    You look great! Well done!!! Amazing! It takes a lot of determination to achieve this - awesome!
    You'll reach your goal in no time!
  • Happy Anniversary from a fellow Bostonian, Ok I am on the northshore but still, congrats on all the hard work!
  • Congrats! You look great, Matt. I wish you good luck, happiness, and perseverance on your continued journey.
  • WTG!!! *hand claps*
  • Great job! Very good words to hold on to...about the learning along the way and the being healthier than the day before. Kudos!
  • Wow Matt! You are such an inspiration and you are truly a testament to the fact that this is al life long journey, a marathon......not a sprint. Congrats again!
  • You are such an incredible inspiration Matt!
  • Congratulations!
    I am taking your wisdom and view on the not so straight road to health and applying myself into turning all the bumps into learning tools.
  • Matt....... You've Done Great! Congratulations!
  • u r my number 1 inspiration right now!!!! This is pure greatness!
  • Matt - what can I say but what everyone else has said: you're an inspiration! Congratulations!
  • You've come far and you have the right state of mind! It's a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet.

Congratulations!
  • Great, Great, Great!
  • Wow! You've done an absolutely amazing job! Congratulations on your success & happy anniversary.