Skeptical? read this

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Thanks!
    Wow! I love reading your threads - I feel like I can really understand now! I am on day 6 of IP and don't weight in til Friday and I CAN'T wait! Thanks guys!
  • Quote: Yes! You're absolutely right! High protein/low carb diets are bad. I'm going to go back to my high carb, high fat, high sodium diet. It wasn't dangerous at all...

Wait a second! Before I do that, maybe I better consider that:

Proteins (and ketosis) are not hard on the kidneys. In fact, ketones are the primary fuel of the kidneys (as well as the heart, liver and skeletal muscles). Most of the nitrogen from the protein is converted to urea in the liver and excreted by the kidneys, and the carbons are oxidized to carbon dioxide and water. The amino acids in the protein are, of course, utilized by the body. In fact, in most cases they're converted to glucose that is utilized in the digestion of the protein itself, having almost no effect on blood glucose levels.

Carbohydrates, not protein, are hard on the kidneys. High blood glucose levels place excessive stress on the kidneys. That is why diabetes is the single greatest cause of kidney failure in the U.S.

Just sayin'...
    I love your "skeptics can kiss my...". I chuckle each time I read it!!!
  • Quote: Hey, Judy.

I ran the IP diet by my endocrinologist (thyroid doc) as well as my oncologist. The oncologist looked through everything and all my supplements (none of which interfere with my cancer med) and said, "Go for it!" My endocrinologist was already familiar with IP and said, "I wish everyone who is overweight could afford to go on this diet." Those were two resounding endorsements from my docs whom I very much respect. When I hear from the naysayers I tell them I'm listening to my doctors' opinions...not yours. BTW, my blood pressure returned to normal after only 2 weeks on IP. I think this diet is a miracle. Love that my voracious appetite has gone bye-bye.

Wishing you much success!
    Can I inferr thyroid cancer? That is what I am dealing with now. Had my thyroid out last week. Go back for biopsy results on lymph nodes removed during surgery thursday. Radiation should be next month. My endocrinologist said I can do the program but need to stay away from any supplements that act for the thyroid (my wording) , until I see the dr next month. Now I am wAiting for a call from the ip center so I can get started already!!!
    Any advise from the cancer angle? Thx