Pregnancy and Diabetes

• Has any Type II Diabetics became Pregnant after having Diabetes? Could you please share your experiences?

Thank you!
  • the dietitian I refer my clients to has a few clients who were type 2 before pregnancy. Says most use insulin during the pregnancy, are treated much like type 1 but better outcomes. (babies not as big, less need for c-section, fewer birth defects etc) key is early prenatal care and careful control of glucose.
    Too high risk for me to care for, though some midwives specialize in this type of care.
  • I get gestational diabetes everytime I get pregnant and I consult with trained medical nurses and dietitians. They keep me accountable and I have to mail them my blood sugar levels that I have to keep track of consistently and eat at the SAME TIME every day certain numbers of carbs. I had to prick my finger 4x a day and carefully control my exercise and food intake.

Gestational diabetes is kinda just like a version of Type II I believe as it indicates you WILL get type II later in life.

You just need to be really careful because the placental hormones suppress insulin and sometimes makes it behave erratically (imo) and is more sensitive to carbs in the mornings etc. Careful careful careful monitoring is needed and you need to take it very very very seriously because your babies life can depend on you.

My problem when I wanted to "cheat" was I'd lie to myself and try to convince myself that my actions weren't "really" affecting the baby so much, but then I'd take my sugar levels 1 hour later and I'd almost throw up if they were really high.

just take it very seriously, and monitor yourself careful. They were going to put me on insulin if I couldn't control it, I did manage to control it for the most part, but my disease is not as developed yet as it will become later.
  • I had gestational diabetes. It was just as boots describes. I did not have type 2 before, though. If I were to get pregnant now, I'm sure I would be on insulin. They don't give you medication for diabetes while pregnant.
  • I have never been pregnant yet nor am I a diabetic. But if and when I get pregnant, there may be a huge possibility that I may develop Gestational Diabetes since diabetes runs well within our bloodline.

• how to prevent gestational diabetes? I've heard that diabetes can also increase the risk of eclampsia.
  • Quote: how to prevent gestational diabetes? I've heard that diabetes can also increase the risk of eclampsia.
    the best preventions are those you take before the pregnancy. Start the folic acid, (not to do with diabetes, but prevents birth defects, and diabetes causes birth defects) , get in shape, lose weight.
    During pregnancy, eat carefully and do not increase calorie intake, (counter to the idea of eating for two), and keep exercising regularly. Also, watch carb intake, avoid simple carbs. Not much different than what we should already be doing eh?
    Pre-eclampsia, or toxemia, and high blood pressure in pregnancy are related to diabetes, but also to the problems we already face, being over weight and eating poorly, in spite of our weight. To help prevent pre-eclampsia (eclampsia is actually when a woman is having seizures related to high blood pressure, and in the past was a major killer of pregnant women) , a healthy weight, good diet including plenty of protein, and a fish oil supplement are all proven to be safe and effective.
  • Quote: the best preventions are those you take before the pregnancy. Start the folic acid, (not to do with diabetes, but prevents birth defects, and diabetes causes birth defects) , get in shape, lose weight.
    During pregnancy, eat carefully and do not increase calorie intake, (counter to the idea of eating for two), and keep exercising regularly. Also, watch carb intake, avoid simple carbs. Not much different than what we should already be doing eh?
    Pre-eclampsia, or toxemia, and high blood pressure in pregnancy are related to diabetes, but also to the problems we already face, being over weight and eating poorly, in spite of our weight. To help prevent pre-eclampsia (eclampsia is actually when a woman is having seizures related to high blood pressure, and in the past was a major killer of pregnant women) , a healthy weight, good diet including plenty of protein, and a fish oil supplement are all proven to be safe and effective.
    Just to be clear, birth defects from diabetes is for those with existing diabetes, not gestational diabetes. It's best to start to take the folic acid before you try to get pregnant, as the neural tube defects that folic acid provides protection for happen in the first several weeks of pregnancy.